coffee/tea

When I was pregnant, I had serious caffine withdrawls trying to quit the coffee, so my midwife told me to go ahead and drink it. I usually had one cup of regular, and one cup of half reg / half decaf later in the day.

I have a beautiful son, so I guess it didn't hurt him...

I'm three months pregant, and I don't take caffeine. But then again, I haven't taken caffeine in twelve years, so I went through the withdrawl scene (a 7-day headache)a long time ago. It would be hard to deal with early pregnancy nausea and a caffeine withdrawl to boot.

Manmohini

Hi, I'm 14 weeks. I sometimes drink a half to a full cup of coffee. But I switched to Teecino about a year ago and have been mixing that in with real coffee or using it on its own for a while now. It's good stuff, still naturally energy boosting. You can find it in many flavors at whole foods. It's a lot better than decaf. If you want the habit of coffee in the morning without the caffeine, it's worth a try.

-s

Hi,
I found that the morning sickness caused me not to want coffee anymore, so I didn't have any trouble quitting (but I only drank 1 big cup in the morning anyway).

hi there, just wanted to repost this info from babycenter.com:

Is it safe to have my morning cup of coffee during pregnancy?

Expert: Lewis Holmes, professor of pediatrics, Harvard Medical School; chief of Genetics & Teratology Unit, MassGeneral Hospital for Children, Boston

Yes. We did a very extensive study a few years ago in which we enrolled women very early in pregnancy; we found no effects on the fetus when you drink up to three cups of coffee a day; very few women drank more than that. That's the best study I know of. We can only say for sure that the first three cups are safe, but since we know up to three cups is fine, we can assume you'd have to consume a lot more than that to cause problems.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Expert: Ronald Ruggiero, clinical professor in the departments of pharmacy and medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA

Yes, a morning cup of coffee won't hurt anyone. I generally recommend decaffeinated products, but if you must have caffeine, then don't have more than three cups a day. That's the limit because in studies of dairy cattle, when pregnant cows were given more than that dose, their calves were born smaller. And too much caffeine cuts down on blood flow to the placenta, and you don't want to do that because the baby won't be getting as much oxygen or as many nutrients. But in moderate amounts, caffeine poses no measurable risk to the fetus.

I didn't during the first trimester...but, after that I drank coffee again. (about 1-2 cups per day) and sometimes a diet coke here and there. I made it until 38 weeks with twins...13 pounds of baby...nothing bad from it here. Actually, my doctor told me to drink a coke sometimes when I had a migraine during pregnancy. I would talk to your doctor about your thoughts.

Thanks Everyone.. I decided to stop drinking coffee, and drink one cup of hot tea in the morning. (and occasionally ice tea during the day. I thought it was going to be really hard to quit, but it wasn't at all... thanks again.
Ann

Hi, I just thought you should know to be careful what kind of herbal teas you drink. My doc said NO green tea, it inhibits cell reproduction which is crucial during pregnancy. -Amy

3 cups/day here, 1/2 caf. Can't bring myself to drink any less. It is the artificial sweetener that I am more worried about. I have cut that to only 2 packets per day which is a HUGE reduction for me.

I drank coffee through out my entire pregnancy. I had 1-2 cups of caffeinated in the morning and drank decaf the rest of the day. I was fine. No problems at all. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.