Clearblue Easy Ovulation monitor

kittymom

Cathlete
My husband and I are TTC and I have been looking at these to help. Has anyone tried these and if you have did you have good results?

TIA,
Shannon

I tried them before I read the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility.

At that time, they didn't help me because I didn't really understand my cycle all that well, so getting the timing just right wasn't very easy. They never gave me a overwhelming confirmation to convince me that I was ovulating.

If you have a pretty good idea, based on your body's signals, of when you are ovulating, they might be helpful, but I wouldn't depend on them entirely to tell when is the best time.

If you haven't read the above mentioned book, most of the women here will highly recommend it. I thought I certainly didn't need a book to figure this out, but after 8 months of TTC I finally read the book and started charting. I got pregnant on my first cycle. This forum is the reason I finally got the book and realized that my fertile period is very, very short, so timing was everything!

Just my experience! Good Luck,

Tina

The monitor is different from the sticks you purchase in the store. The monitor detects estrogen and LH while the single use sticks detect only LH. The monitor tells you day to day if you should be testing and will "get to know you". I have the monitor and it identifies my fertile time. I also chart mucus only (no other fertility signs) and the monitor confirms the mucus changes.

Let me stress that OPKs, ovulation monitors, thermal shifts, nor other fertility signs confirm ovulation. The only methods to confirm ovualtion are pregnancy or follicular u/s.

BTW, I also found the sticks useful in timing intercourse but I have a mucus pattern that makes identifying fertility challenging.

Good luck!
Autumn

I think you've gotten some great advice already but I'll add my input. Ovulation tests are a good indicator off ovulation if you time it right but if your cycle is irregular they are useless. The monitor is expensive but I have heard of people getting good results with it since it specifies how close to ovulation. I wasted alot of money on ovulation sticks but never got a posive result since my cycle was so irregular anywhere from 28 days-42 days.

I got pregnant with dd#1 the second month of charting after reading taking charge of your fertility.

The monitor can be used with irregular cycles (ranging from 21-42 days), but you may need more tests. You program the monitor and it gets to know you. The first cycle of use, you program the monitor with day one of your menses. The monitor will not let you do a test until day 6. The monitor tells you when to test. It will request a test every day for a total of 10-20 days depending on your cycle and when it sees peak fertility. In future cycles, the monitor will request testing beginning days 6-9 depending on your cyles. You can't test on any day you choose. This is very different from the single use sticks that come in packs. It is a rather big investment though. Charting mucus can be very effecive in id-ing the fertile window. Just a thought. TCOYF is a good start.

BTW, a woman could use the OPKs if she were charting her mucus. The mucus cycle is a fertile period and a woman could begin using the sticks when she sees mucus. A woman must recognize cervical mucus from vaginal discharge.

Autumn

Autumn, gives great advice as she is trained in this.
I forgot to add, I borrowed a fertility monitor but didn't use it when I realized how costly the tests were. I agree that cervical fluid is the most accurate. From cervical fluid I knew I ovulated on day 21 of my cycle, sure enough the ultrasound confirmed this.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.