Clean Eating Cookbooks

fitvix

Cathlete
Forgive me if this has already been posted - I was just wondering if anyone out there had some really good clean eating cookbooks? I have a few, but the recipes I make never seem all that tasty - instead they are kind of plain and blah. Does anyone have any good cookbooks that they like that have alot of flavor? I'm tired of my DH telling me dinner is "ok". :mad:

Thanks!

Ellie Krieger's "The Food You Crave"
She's a registered dietitian and knows her stuff (and the recipes are awesome)

Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet Cookbook
Tosca is a wanna-be expert but her cookbook still offers clean recipes that are good.

I second the Ellie Krieger book. Outstanding. One of my favs is the whole-wheat pasta with roasted red pepper and feta sauce. Delicious!! And that sauce is also excellent as a condiment on lentil burgers!

Second (or third ;) ) to the above.

Also if you don't want to invest in the book there are magazines (but some are almost expensive as the books)

- Clean Eating comes out every 2 months.
- Eliie Krieger has a current issue out. Looks to be a one time thing. Eat Smart I think. A nice issue.

Tosca Reno is pretty hard core (I've only read the Eat-Clean Diet one) so not sure if she's the best pick for family meals unless you want to eat endless chicken breasts and a vegetable. I'm following her plan loosely up through dinner.

For dinner I make a lot of things from Cooking Light magazine. They print all the nutritional info, so you can decide which recipes are "clean enough". Your library probably has back issues you can check out. Also, their recipes are on-line, but I prefer to browse a magazine. If you pick up last year's issue, just the same month it is now, like March or even April, the recipes will be seasonal.

Also, in January, Everyday Foods always puts out a light issue. These recipes are usually quite straightforward and easy. Eat Well Magazine would be another source. Can you tell I like magazine? I find the food from magazines to be quite seasonal, varied (different people contributing recipes give good variety) and "current". I would only purchase a cookbook that I had first checked out from the library and tested a few recipes to see if I clicked with the author.

I'll second the Cooking Light recommendation. I have a couple of their annual compendium cookbooks and they're very handy.

While this isn't a cookbook, I think Karina's Kitchen blog has a lot of good stuff. She bills the site as a gluten-free resource, but includes a lot of non-gluten-free alternatives as well. I would consider it a resource for clean eating because there is a very strong focus on whole foods and quality ingredients. FWIW, every recipe of hers that I've tried has been fabulous.

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/

Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet Cookbook
Tosca is a wanna-be expert but her cookbook still offers clean recipes that are good.

A caveat on this one : some of the recipes are extremely high in sodium (50% or more of the recommended maximum daily intake in some).

Actually I find many of the fitness sources out there pretty cavalier about sodium which is why I am big Ellie Krieger fan. (Like I said, Tosca is a wannabe.) I read that Ellie has a new cookbook due for release in November 2009. :D I also recommend Cooking Light.

Wow - thanks everyone for your suggestions so far! I am going to look all of this up online tonight when I get home. It sounds like Ellies book is definitely one that doesn't sacrifice taste even though its clean. (thats what I'm looking for!)

I will also check out those magazines as well. Thanks again everyone - it pays to ask a question once in a while! :)

In addition to the above, I can recommend "Men's Fitness Muscle Chow," "The Ultrametabolism Cookbook," and "The Fat Flush Plan Cookbook"

My FAVORITE is Hungry Girl by Lisa Lillian. It has very simple recipes and she remakes a lot of favorite recipes low fat. She also has a website hungrygirl.com and you can sign up for her email newsletters!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.