Circular yoga mat “slipperiness”

Diver782

I love, love, love my Cathe circular yoga mat. So nice to not scoot off the mat when doing 90-90’s anymore! Question though. When doing some moves, such as the standing wide straddle stretch in the Mobility workout, I find my feet ever so slowly slipping. Similar issue when doing down dogs. The mat is certainly not oily or anything but I do need to use a towel on some moves to provide stability. Is this normal and will it dissipate with use? Was I suppose to clean/prep the mat somehow before first use? Again, it is minor and I would absolutely recommend this mat to anyone, but wanted to ask. As always, thank you, Cathe, for keeping me healthy and motivated for more than 20 years.

I don't have Cathe's circular mat or her other mats, but I did recently purchase a new mat. I have had the same issues with it and other mats I've gotten over the years. I cleaned mine in my tub with mild dish soap ( I use seventh generation) and warm water. I soaked my mat in the soapy water and used a wash cloth to clean it. I hung it outside to dry. I also use a yoga mat cleaner weekly just to keep it clean. Mine is still a little "slippery" at times, but it is much better now. With your circular mat being so big, I'm not sure it you have the ability to soak it. Maybe just clean it a few times with mild soap and water and see if that helps. Maybe someone else will answer with a better solution. Best of luck.

I don't have Cathe's circular mat or her other mats, but I did recently purchase a new mat. I have had the same issues with it and other mats I've gotten over the years. I cleaned mine in my tub with mild dish soap ( I use seventh generation) and warm water. I soaked my mat in the soapy water and used a wash cloth to clean it. I hung it outside to dry. I also use a yoga mat cleaner weekly just to keep it clean. Mine is still a little "slippery" at times, but it is much better now. With your circular mat being so big, I'm not sure it you have the ability to soak it. Maybe just clean it a few times with mild soap and water and see if that helps. Maybe someone else will answer with a better solution. Best of luck.
Thanks so much!

I have the exact same issue. My round yoga mat just arrived and when I used it for the first time I started slipping. Does it improve over time? I read another article in Cathes blog about cleaning your yoga mat with a spray bottle with one part vinegar and four parts water. Would that help? Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

I don't have the circular mat (still not big enough for me!) but I have extra wide and long yoga mats that I put together and yes, when they are new there is a sort of film that takes a while to wear off, even if you wash it as most makers will suggest. My older ones are perfect, but my newer ones, especially depending on if I'm a little sweaty or not, have a bit of slip factor. Unfortunately I find grippy socks and gloves painful because you just slide in them while they grip and they cut into the "webbed" areas between your fingers and toes.
I think if you just keep using and washing your mat, it will eventually "break in".

I can understand that…once I tried the smallest pair of grippy socks
I could find, they were good and didn’t slip or cut into my toes. So, I guess,
YMMV. ;)

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.