Circuit training vs. full body workouts

LucyH

Cathlete
How are these different from each other and what are the benefits of each? Would you need to incorporate both in a rotation? Thanks in advance!

IndyMom:)

Circuit training is weight work plus cardio, done in circuits: a few minutes of cardio, then maybe lower body weights, then upper body weights, then back to cardio, etc. Full body workouts are weights only. The weight work in circuits is usually a bit lighter than in weights-only workouts.

I guess the benefits would depend on what you're looking for in a program. For example, if you want heavy weight work to gain mass, full body workouts would be better than circuits. If you really like variety and moving around, circuits would be fun. There are a lot of different factors.

I personally despise circuits, so my opinion is NO, you do not have to use both in a rotation. I just got rid of all of mine! :7

Thanks! That helps. Next question: what is the difference between Boot Camp and Circuit Training? Just have to get all these terms figured out!

IndyMom

Well, it depends on the Boot Camp. Cathe has a workout called Boot Camp, which is a circuit workout. She also as one of the 4 Day Split workouts called Boot Camp, where the cardio section consists of high intensity drills, and then goes into a bicep and tricep workout.

There are also boot camp workout programs at fitness centers. I don't know much about them, but it seems like they're usually held outside and consist of various combinations of cardio and weights. There are a few on the forums who either have tried them or who teach them. Maybe they can help!

I think it would be safe to say that anything called Boot Camp is going to be pretty tough and fast-paced, though!

Actually (sorry to correct you Shannon my dear ;-) ) there are lots of different kinds of circuit training. A trainer at a gym might put you on a total body circuit using a series of machines at a gym--in that case "circuit" & "total body workout" is the same. There are some cardio benefits b/c you're supposed to move quickly from exercise to exercise, so your heart rate will increase.

Other gym-style circuits could include a lower body or upper body circuit. Essentially it's just doing a series of exercises without any rest time in between, usually running through the circuit 2-3 times for advanced exercisers, typically only once for beginners.

The total body, upper and/or lower body circuits are also really good for seniors, those who are obese, or those who have minor injuries & can't do more intense weight training.

What Shannon refers to is, in the gym world, more commonly called a "body pump" workout, often an hour long class that incorporates cardio & high rep, low weight exercises. Those classes are similar to a Drill Max or other home fitness circuit workouts.

Laura,

I always get the two mixed up myself.

Red Carpet Ready is a series of upper and lower body work in the form of quick moving circuits to be repeated 2-3 times.
During this workout, the weights are low and my heart rate is very high.
There is no cardio but the workout itself is producing a cardio effect.

Full body is Cathe's muscle max. Two-three exercises per body part. The weights are heavier and there is rest between exercises.

Jari Love's Ripped 1000 is circuit?

Do I have that right?:)

I find all this so confusing. It took a while for me to figure out the difference between circuit and interval, now all this. A glossary of fitness terms on this site would be so useful. BTW, I hate circuit, too. Did it for a long time and it got me nowhere. Presently, debating changing from 3-day split to full-body for awhile...

OK, think of it like this. A rectangle is a square, but a square is not a rectangle, right? Think of the rectangle as a full body workout, & a square as circuit. So a full body workout is a circuit, but a circuit isn't necessarily a full body workout.

Does that help at all?

>OK, think of it like this. A rectangle is a square, but a
>square is not a rectangle, right? Think of the rectangle as a
>full body workout, & a square as circuit. So a full body
>workout is a circuit, but a circuit isn't necessarily a full
>body workout.
>
>Does that help at all?

OH! That clears everything up!:+ :7

>OK, think of it like this. A rectangle is a square, but a
>square is not a rectangle, right? Think of the rectangle as a
>full body workout, & a square as circuit. So a full body
>workout is a circuit, but a circuit isn't necessarily a full
>body workout.
>
>Does that help at all?

Yea, I'm reading this and going "Okaaaaay, here's a rectangle (my left hand).... here's a square (my right hand)... hmmm..."

When I was in college I always sat near the front and instructors would always say "Does everybody get that?" Then they'd look DIRECTLY at me and say "Everybody?" I always thought 'What is my face DOING that I always get singled out as the one that doesn't get it?' Freaky little flashback...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.