Chronic Fatigue

Cyndie

Cathlete
I wondered if anyone has this problem. I am not necessarily talking about chronic fatigue syndrome where someone is bed ridden for a long time. I just find that I can work out for a while and then I go through periods where my body is pretty tired, my muscles ache, and it gets fairly difficult to workout. The period lasts for a couple of weeks. Does anyone else experience this? If so, how do you deal with the problem? Thanks for any imput.

Best wishes, Cyndie

yup i do.. but no expert opinion

i know we have alsorts of cycles ... hormones effect energy and strength enourmously
.....and hormones change with time too, so things that never happened before might start to happen...

i dont have a cure... I just know its ok to have a down spell..enjoy taking a break and be ready to hit it when the energy comes back..

i know that sounds totally simple minded... but it really helps me to enjoy taking the break as opposed to struggling to push it.

c

I know just what you mean except that I am tired pretty much all the time. I just found out my thyroid might be the culprit so after my blood is rechecked we will know for sure. I did not want to go on medication before we were sure that was it. I have maybe 1 to 2 days a month that I actually feel like getting out of bed. Of course, I always do get out of bed and do my daily stuff that is required but all I think about is going back to bed. It's hard sometimes to get everything done because of lack of energy.

Kelly

Yes, I always feel ready for a nap. I've been checked out and all my blood work, etc. is OK. It worked as long as I was in college but now that I work, I'm always so tired when I get home, that exercising doesn't happen as much as I'd like. It is frustrating!!

Marcia, freezing in northern Sweden

Boy do I know how you all feel. I've had this problem for years, basically since adulthood. It's better now than it used to be, but I could still lay down & do nothing at any given time! I've always envied people who are "full of energy". My grandmother, who raised me, was like that...accomplished more before noon than I did in a week. Very depressing.
I don't know exactly what causes it, I think it's both physical (hormones?) & mental. I can only say that since learning to exercise regularly (& getting myself to that level was absolute hell), I have more energy than I used to. And it lasts longer. I still have those down times, Cyndie, but at least it is no longer 100% of the time. So I guess for me, this is as good as it gets!
zzzzzzzzz Ruth :-tired

Me, too. And it was accompanied by a very fast weight gain of 25 pounds!!!!!! And wild mood swings.

I saw an endocrinologist who made sure that my blood work was all okay. It was, but he said it sounded like my blood sugar was spiking and falling. I never registered out of the normal range on blood sugar (tested 3 times), but he felt that I should have registered a lot lower, given the amount of working out that I do.

So. . . . . .
Just as an experiment, he put me on some medicine called Glucophage XR that is meant for diabetics. It helps keep your blood sugar fairly even all day. Boy, what a difference!!!!! The mood swings have gotten much better and my energy level is back to normal.

I would first eliminate or drastically reduce caffeine. Make sure you are very well hydrated with good, plain water. Even being slightly dehydrated can cause a massive energy drop. Caffeinated drinks and alcoholic drinks do not hydrate you--they de-hydrate you. If that doesn't help, it may be worth a trip to the doctor, mine was.

Kim

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.