Christmas desserts?

spyrosmom

Cathlete
Where's the best place to ask about food? The fitness board!!:D:D:D
I need to make dessert to take to my brothers for Christmas. I'm doing a pecan pie, but I can't figure out a 2nd dessert. I was thinking of a chocolate cake w/ mint chocolate ganche, but it just doesn't seem festive enough, kind of every day. I've been thru every cookbook in my collection, and can't figure it out. A few years back, I did baked fudge in a meringue shell, and I'm thinking of that again, but I don't want to do a repeat!! I do the pecan pie every year, and then another dessert. Because I repeat the pie, I don't want to repeat the other thing. I have all day on Christmas Eve and the morning of Christmas day to fix it, so time or difficulty isn't an issue, but it needs to transport well, as I have to take it to my brother's house - about a 30 or 45 minute drive. help!

Nan

Hi Nan--

The most spectacular dessert I ever made for Christmas was Tiramisu Eggnog Trifle (you can find the recipe at epicurious.com), and it's really, REALLY nummy. I even did the leaves. It has several steps, but I've made it 3 times, and it's a foolproof recipe.

I also do epicurious.com's easy raspberry trifle, which is super-easy, and while I don't find it spectacular, it is certainly impressive to guests.

Happy dessert-making!

ITA with garance. Trifles can have that festive "wow" factor.

While it might not be as visually dramatic, Baklava is something out of the ordinary.

How about Red Velvet Cake? Red cake with white frosting...very Christmas like. I just made one yesterday for DS's birthday.

JJ

Maybe not so dramatic but I do love a pumpkin cheesecake. You can do it ahead and it travels well so less stress for you.

Mmmm.... cheesecake...

Lisa

Lately I have been doing the Chocolate Trifle from allrecipes.com. It is brownies, caramel ice cream topping (see the user comments), I modify the pudding to mix 1/4 cup Irish cream and 1/4 cup water instead of 1/2 a cup water into the pudding mix, then a layer of real whipping cream.

To make it prettier - put your trifle dish in the freezer, after you add the first layer of brownies, drizzle the caramel sauce down the sides of your dish. After you are done making it, put chocolate curls over the top of the whipped cream.

Everyone always loves this dessert, even the non-chocolate people.
Where was that lost wagon thread again?

I've been poking around epicurious.com, there are like 57 pages of Christams Desserts. I've printed out a few, but DH gets the final call. There are a few cranberry ones that sound good, look festive, and I have cranberries in the freezer. Thanks for pointing out that website. I normally look in allrecipes, but I just couldn't find that special thing there. There are quite a few good looking tifles at epicurious, so I will prob end up doing a trifle, which everyone always likes, I just need to figure which one.

I think I also need to take a trip up the wagon thread:D:D

Nan

My favorite cake is not exactly Christmassy but it's called Heath bar cake and everybody always raves about it. My mouth is watering just thinking about it! You cook a regular boxed chocolate cake and when you just get it out of the oven, poke holes through the cake and then pour one can of sweetened condensed milk and one jar of caramel sauce over the top. Then sprinkle some crushed Heath Bar bits on top. I like a lot! You can find them already crushed in the chocolate chip section. When this is all cooled off completely, spread Cool whip on top and then top with more Heath bar bits! YUM!!

Tiramisu Toffee Torte - found at tasteofhome.com!

It has a whipped cream frosting, so does require refridgeration. If fridge space is limited, that can be a problem.

Diane

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.