Chocolate Lovers Beware

Cathe Friedrich

Administrator
This gives the term SPOILER ALERT a whole new meaning: The average chocolate bar contains 8 insect legs! There goes my "Jersey Girl" chocolate bar....blech!

I guess that's one way to look at it :D

I have to say it really makes me wonder what IS in those high fiber bars?!?!?!

Last edited:
That kinda bugs me!

Growing up with 3 big brothers gave me insight to all kinds of "goodies" in my food: they had me convinced that the filling in Fig Newtons was mashed up June-Bugs! :eek:EEWWWW!

It's perhaps best NOT to know what the FDA guidelines are for certain foods (how many insect parts are allowed in chocolate bars, for example, or the quantity of mucus that milk can contain).

A simple search found this info on what is allowed (best not look if you have a queezy stomach!):

FOOD CAN CONTAIN UP TO...

Canned pineapple 20 percent positive mold tests

Canned tomato 5 fly eggs and 1 maggot per 500 grams

Frozen broccoli 60 mites per 100 grams

Ground cinnamon 400 insect fragments and
11 rodent hairs per 50 grams

Peanut butter 30 insect fragments or
1 rodent hair per 100 grams

Popcorn 20 gnawed grains or
2 rodent hairs per pound

Potato chips 6 percent rotten chips

This is also icky:
January 2007Washington, D. C. - The U. S. Department of Agriculture has increased the amount of insect parts and rodent hairs allowed in food from the previous 30 parts or one hair per gram to 100 parts or three hairs per gram, but the increases are allowed only every seventh and eighth year.

Last edited:
Growing up with 3 big brothers gave me insight to all kinds of "goodies" in my food: they had me convinced that the filling in Fig Newtons was mashed up June-Bugs! :eek:EEWWWW!

Yep! Mine told me that soy sauce was made from grasshopper guts.

Unfortunately, I don't think a few insect legs is going to make me give up my dark chocolate habit.

Growing up in an agricultural area, you would not believe the stories we heard. I still use ketchp, but many would be grossed out by what was not picked off the conveyor belts as the tomatoes and "friends" went by.

Jean

Ok, I have no choice other than to look at the positive side of this information of life long food choices ......

and that is they have obviously served me well. They have given me great strength, endurance, cardiovascular and lactate threshold abilities....

So, insect legs (and all other creepy crawlers)....Rock On :D

After Xmas, in the UK our V.A.T. your GST went up to 20%. Since then I have not purchased chocolate bar or sweeties of any kind. I decided that I was paying enough tax and they were wasting it. Weaned off sweeties (candy) and chocolate.

This gives the term SPOILER ALERT a whole new meaning: The average chocolate bar contains 8 insect legs! There goes my "Jersey Girl" chocolate bar....blech!

Oooooh! YUM!;)

TG I gave up my chocolate habit for Lent and haven't looked back!:D

I DO still have a heavy PB habit though...:eek:

My little guys are still working on their chocolate bunnies from Easter a little bit every night after dinner. I wonder if I enlighten them on the bug legs if they'll want to stop eating them? Or will they say "cool" and munch away? After all, they know their Dad once ate a whole, live grasshopper to win $5 :eek:

Wow. I don't know what's more disturbing, the fact that there are insect legs in chocolate bars or the fact that I would still eat one if I were given one and promised no weight gain. The fat/calories turns me off more than the insect legs. Hmm... :eek:

I had to quit reading Kathryn's post. The tomatoes got me. I cook with canned tomatoes all the time.

This is one of those topics where ignorance is bliss. :)

Ok, I have no choice other than to look at the positive side of this information of life long food choices ......

and that is they have obviously served me well. They have given me great strength, endurance, cardiovascular and lactate threshold abilities....

So, insect legs (and all other creepy crawlers)....Rock On :D

Totally! Cuz we could ALL use extra leg strength for YOUR workouts Cathe!!!:eek::D:p:eek:

p.s. grosssssssss

I think I can handle the insects, it's the fly eggs and maggots mentioned that are going to haunt me forever :confused:

I had peanut butter this morning and used canned diced tomatoes in my dinner last night, and all the while I was NOT thinking about this thread! :p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.