Chinup checkin Friday 5/5

fit_fairy

Cathlete
Well, I must be crazy. I started back off my lay off with Cathe S&H legs!!! I lightened up on the wts and boy did I still feel it }( }( I did legs only and did chinups in between each segment. I did 6 sets of 2 chinups. Did'nt do any negatives. It felt pretty good though. I am gonna try what this fellow who wrote the book I am reading says. Which is never go to failure on a new exercise. To make gains go 1-2 reps short of failure and do more sets to make gains. Then periodically check and see what it takes to get to failure. Hope it works. I feel like I will be able to do 4 in a row soon (if not already-was tempted to try this morning, but since I've had a lay off thought I'd wait). So I am looking forward to some DOMS :eek: :eek: But man do I feel good right now!!!

Oh, and more trauma. I got a spray on tan. I feel like I've been assalted!! It was an awful experience. It looks ok but I honestly don't know if I can do it again LOL!! Has anyone else done this? My inclination was to hold my breath- but you can't do it for that long :eek:. Then trying to "pose" for maximum coverage uuuuuggggghhhh!!!!

How's everyone else doing?

Catherine

Catherine, where's everyone?

Today I am doing GS BSB but just did CT Weds along with chinup negatives and inverted rows and back is still sore. So I am not sure if I'll do any negatives or inverted rows today - may wait until Monday.

I hope you all manage to have some fun this weekend. You know the old saying "all chinups and no play..." and don't anyone call chinups PLAY.;-)

I'm sure the girls will be along shortly. Melody, I don't blame you if you are still pretty sore, let your muscles recover!! You'll be glad you did.

Fun in store this weekend. The first Saturday in May- It's DERBY time!!! Party starts today with The Oaks and then all day tomorrow with the Derby. Lots of food, drink,..... I will workout in the morn before I start my endulging LOL!!! :+ :+ I only hope I can walk tomorrow after S&H legs :eek: :eek:

Catherine

I'm here, but as I just posted in the 5.3 thread...I'm not speaking to Soosan OR Joanne.

Hi Catherine, Melody, HB, Kathryn and Janie (hey Janie where are you? I need someone to speak to)...who else did I miss? I know I missed someone.

Catherine...let us know about your DOMS...I LOVE DOMS.

I'm working out tonight as it didn't work this morning. Shopped for carpet, bathroom tile, stone for fireplace, chinup bar for breakfast nook....grandma needs one of these to be sure, etc. I'm already tired. I hate shopping..really!! I'd rather do chinups.

Briee (big whiner this morning)

My chin-up attempt for today!:

I decided to do a set of 5 any-which-way-I-can chin-ups, focusing on holding and negatives.

First rep: held for count of 20 in "head-above-bar" position (but it was kind of fast, so I think it was actually 15). Much better than my days doing the bent-arm-hang in grade school (I shudder at the memory...this is bringing back some trauma!!). Then lowered for a count of 4.

Second rep: held for 4, then dropped like a rock (but I was having problems running into the back pad on my chin-up station and was concerned that I was cheating by doing so).

Third rep: held for 10 and lowered for 6.

Fourth rep: same as 3rd.

Fifth rep: held for 10 and lowered for 10.

I took long recovery between each rep.

There must be a learning curve involved, because it seems to me like my reps improved as I went on.

Briee-You have to speak to me at least, after all we are neighbors! I could run into you at the park someday trying like mad to do a chin up.

OK-I tried again to budge from a dead hang and it still seems so impossible. It is even so hard for me to do the negs down to a dead hang. Do you think my shoulders are really weak? Maybe on Sunday when I see A-jock I will ask her to do some chin-ups as we always go walking through this neat park by her house.

Joanne

Briee, I will let you know about DOMS. Not feeling any pain right now lol- too many beers (actually only 3, but it doesn't take much)

Kathryn, I agree that I get better with negatives as I do more reps. Sounds like you are doing well.

Joanne, it took me what seemed like forever to do one. Just keep trying and one day you'll surprise yourself.

OK, I have a poll. I turn forty next month. I have always wanted a tatoo. I would love to get a fairy tatoo in the small of my back. DH doesn't want me too, but he didn't want me to get my navel pierced either, but,....;) What do you all think? Anyone here have one?

Catherine

Catherine....I hate tatoos, I hate body piercings of any kind, I hate following the crowd. I like doing chinups. Most people in the crowd aren't doing them. Somewhat of a rebel at heart. So you're asking the wrong person. I've seen what tatoos look like on people who are 70 and 80 - not pretty. I figure it's easy enough to put on a fake tatoo and then you can always change your mind....and now you've heard my honest opinion. Probably different from most and WAY too direct - but I happen to be exhausted at the moment and crabby today for some reason. x( x( x( x( I think I need to go do chinups }( }( }( Aim to do something really spectacular on your 40th....4 chinups followed by 4 donuts!!!!!!

Joanne - I'd LOVE to be there on Sunday. I'd LOVE to meet both AJ and yourself. I want to see her bicep vein. I want to steal her bicep vein. This month is a bad one though...we have 3 weeks to try and get my mom's home done so we are in a crunch here. Later this summer I want to come up to Minneapolis to visit a cousin - we'll have to work out a time then! Would be so much fun. I promise to speak with you if I get out there - I'd hate to walk in silence. Please tell me how many chinups AJ can do after you ask her. And do bicep veins help?? Inquiring minds want to know.

Soosan, give Bryan Kest a hug and tell him I don't miss him (but I'm VERY impressed with your yoga achievements - honestly!!)

Briee (boy am I crabby today)

Catherine, Joann, Susan, Briee and Kathryn (if I missed someone just know the ole brain ain't what it used to be), hi there!

You gals are working hard and I'll bet (if you'd show some pics:p ) you're looking good.

I completed GS BSB and a premix cardio for SB/SJP, but back was still sore from Weds and I did not attempt the negatives or inverted rows.

I have nothing clever to say, so good night all.

Okay...so I just reread my late night, miss crabby pants post up there. You guys can chuck donuts at me - stale ones. Stating an opinion or NOT doing so is one of those many things I have to work on - so just go ahead and say "Briee - quit being a jerk" - my friends say it all the time So sorry Catherine. You need to have a super dooper special 40th celebration! When is your b-day? (I don't know if I've ever noticed you mention kids - do you have any?) How did the Derby pie turn out?

I'm about to go down and workout, but it froze last night and I left my window open in the w/o room.....IT'S FREEZING IN THERE. My tongue's gonna freeze to my pullup bar if I try to eat donuts from it (okay Catherine quit saying "good she deserves it"):p :p :p Hope you all have a wonderful Saturday. Soosan...how did it go with Bryan?

Allergies - almost forgot your statement last post regarding allergies Soosan. I have had allergies my whole life - mostly the seasonal kind. I got pretty sick about 7 years ago and decided to go meat/dairy free and get my system back in order. To my surprise ALL allergies ceased. I had read that cutting out dairy can solve many problems, but I never expected this to happen. I could strole through a field of weeds and be symptom free - as long as I cut out dairy (corn/soy too-2 other common allergies). Something to think about for all you allergy sufferer's. When I was tested at the Lacrosse allergy clinic - I was told that I didn't have strong food allergies so I stopped being so careful about food - NOW ALL MY ALLERGIES ARE back after being free of them for many years. Hmmmmm - now I'm back to square one as it took about 6 weeks to be dairy/corn/soy free to see results. I'm sure Kathryn can comment on this phenomena.

Briee

Briee, I honestly didn't take your response as crabby. My birthday is June 26. I probably won't get a tatoo, been thinking on it for years and haven't yet. I would love to find a good fake on though. Not many that do those around here :(

As for DOMS today, not too bad. Had some calf cramps last night. But I am walking ok- drank plenty of water yesterday. I think that helps alot.

Melody, do you have a rotation you are following with the gymstyles? I haven't done them in a while, but I haven't forgotten what they are like }( }(

Have a good day all!!

catherine

Hi! I posted yesterday in the 5.3 thread about the minutia of my day. Didn't realize Catherine started this thread so, if you missed it, feel free to go back to the other for some fascinating reading.:p

Catherine, I am also always willing to offer my opinion (solicited or not) and am also not a fan of tattoos or body piercing. They're just so...permanent. It's your body, though, so you should do what makes you feel good.

My house looks like a bomb went off in it so I really need to catch up on some neglected chores. It's been a busy week. I'm going to squeeze in 1/2 Imax 3 later, possibly followed by some yoga or Pilates if I have the time. That's what's great about Cathe workouts. You have the ability to shorten the workouts, but they're still intense enough to feel as though you've accomplished something.

Have a great day!:)

Catherine-I agree with the others. Tattoos or too permanent for me.

Have a great Saturday everyone.

Joanne

Soooooooooooosan, Joanne, thanks for your input. I probably won't get one. I just get an itch every now and then to do it.

Soooooooooooosan, glad to hear your back is tolerating workouts. Good sign you will be back in the saddle in not time doing chinups }( }( Of course you know we want you to ease back into them so not to reinjure yourself. :)

I did S&H chest and shoulders this am. Man those bench presses get tough with a slow count. My arms & chest are still quivering!! I will hopefully do more chinups Monday or Tues. Will plan at least 3 days rest between them.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

Catherine

Just running through for the daily wave. It's GS legs and core work later and rest tomorrow.

Have a beautiful weekends chinny gals.:7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.