Chin-Up Check-In Mon 5.1.06

Soosan

Cathlete
Good morning! Who's up for 'em today?

Still no chin-ups for me this week. I'm going to do a little back and chest work today and see if I feel any pain. If not, I'll do some more toward the end of the week and start doing eccentrics next week. How long have we been doing this and who's made any progress? I need some motivation here because I've gone backward, not forward!

Hope you all enjoy your day!:)

Good morning!!! I am on the couch- feeling like a slug x( Got home from AZ at 2:00 am. Still messed up on my time zones and didn't sleep well. I know this isn't the moanin and groanin' check in. I do plan to do some chinups later today. Just to make sure I still can after a week LOL. It's good to be back home and with my 4 legged babies. Poor muffie our oldest got stress colitis cause we left :-( She hasn't left my side since we've been home.

Will check back later once I actually make it off the couch.

catherine

Glad you made it back, Catherine! Rest up some before you do your four.}(

I just did PUB Down Only subbing OH presses for rear delt flyes so as not to aggravate things. I went a bit lighter with the back exercises too. Afterward I did the first half of X Stretch. They seemed to be the perfect workouts to ease back into UB. No problems whatsoever w/the rhomboid.:)

Catherine-Welcome back

Soooooooooooooooosan-glad to hear that your rhomboid is feeling better. As far as tennis goes, I don't play very often just once in a while. I have only one friend that plays and I don't belong to a club. My brothers play (and are very good) but they live out of state. We get together about 2 or 3 x's per year.

I'll work on the chinny's later today. I don't feel like I am making very good progess but I will keep at them.

Joanne

Hi There,

Be careful Soosan, you don't want to hurt yourself, so go slowly. Sometimes it gets frustrating to make progress, but keep at it with consistency. It will happen. When I get a setback, that's all I need to hear, sometimes/most of the time.

Catherine, if you can't moan and groan to us, then to who? Hey, you've just got home. It all will fall in place soon.

After gardening work today, I'll be doing Chin-ups, and I haven't decided to do Cathe's May w/o or mine yet. Talk to you all later and will report in.

Hey Mutt (Briee), haven't heard from you today, but I'm sure we will.

Talk to you all later,

Janie

OK I got my hiney off the couch. Well sort of,... I did unpack and wash clothes. Oh and went to town to get a new cell phone. Did I mention that I dropped my cellphone in the toilet??? Anyway, I am resolved to starting back up on Wed. I did do 2 sets of 2 chinups just to make sure that I still can. So otherwise I will plan on working out Wed.

Soooooooooooosan, so glad to hear you can do some upper body work without it aggravating your rhomboid- good sign!!

Joanne, just keep at it girl. You'll see a difference soon!!

Janie, were'nt you supposed to bring the donuts today??

Catherine

Hi everyone!

No chins today, just GS Legs (w/out a barbell to avoid further rhomboid aggravation - see how careful I'm being? Aren't I good?) and then off to Richmond for a meeting. Have a great day!:)

Sooooooooooooosan

You are too good!! I don't blame you for being careful. I won't be doing any today either. But I must get back into the swing of things. It's Derby week and in KY that's a big deal. Almost like a holiday so there are numerous celebrations all week and it makes it hard to be good:-( I will try though!!

Catherine

I have been convinced that I need to join this challenge! LOL!

I thought I'd post my baseline numbers now, then check-in with improvements every week.

Yesterday, I tried to see how many pull-ups I could do (my goal is 5 from a dead hang, by the end of the summer), and I was able to do 3, 1/3 or 1/2 rom on first set, and 2, 1/2 rom on second (which totals 2 reps, if I add them all together). This may not be quite accurate, because there is still 'junk and clutter" around my pull-up station, and I was afraid of hitting the rocking chair or bag of things to donate to Goodwill. After this week (finals week), I'll be able to clear out the area and get seriously into the challenge.

YAY, Kathryn's here!!!!! I love the descriptionn of your workout area and could have sworn you were in my basement. And I also like your mathematics.

No chinup attempts today, but will be doing that tomorrow before weight workout.

Just waving hi to the gals.

Whoa, Kathryn! FIVE by the end of the summer? You do realize if you reach that goal I won't be able to speak to you anymore, right? Is that worth it to you?:p

I like the way you say 1/3 or 1/2 ROM. I'm guessing that means you can get a third or half of the way up from a dead hang? In my book, the two half-way up from a dead hang do not equal one full one from a dead hang, but you're of course welcome to count them any way you wish.

Joanne, are you a good tennis player? How long have you been playing?

Catherine, let yourself have fun this week. You'll be back into it before you know it.

Melody, waving back at you!

Hope the challenge is going well, X!

Waiting to hear from you, Briee. Don't be AWOL again or we won't let you have any donuts!

So glad to see Kathryn joining in!!!

We will all have such fine looking upper bodies by the end of the summer :D :D It'll be so worth all the hard work.

catherine

>Waiting to hear from you, Briee. Don't be AWOL again or we won't let
>you have any donuts!

>Sooooooooooooosan

Are we resorting to torture now? I just love torture - when I'm NOT the one being tortured.
}(

Soooooooooooooosan...that was really evil!! Withholding donuts.

Actually...I'm blaming you guys for my weight gain of 5 lbs or so. My newest statements....chinups make you gain weight. (I'm sure it couldn't be the donuts:p :p :p ). I'm usually lo carbing for the most part, but the past month I've been eating junk, really shows on the scale, but I have more energy for chinups it seems. I'm going to try cutting weight again, but I'm sure I'll loose chinup reps. Will be interesting to see.

I did chins last night, 9, 6, 1 neg with 25 second descent, then took a couple hour break and when I came back did 11, and then 7. I then went to the inverted rows that HB listed. These are fun!! Did 10 first set with underhand grip, 10 again and then 8 overhand grip. Then did 1/2 of P90X chest, shoulds, tris.

I've got to get this diet back in order. You guys are such a bad influence pushing donuts on me all the time :p :p :p (ha ha)

Soosan, glad you're still resting. Really do be careful getting back into it. I might suggest doing negatives with a toe on the chair, just barely touching it to give some support, or use bands and lower slowly with the band assist - you will still be buiding muscle.

Janie....I think you are feeling more at home here (Muttly references}( }( )

Catherine....welcome back from AZ!!! The bar is calling!!

Kathryn....we sucked ya in!! I'm interested to see how you progress with these. Keep detailed records. What is your body type?

Melody - thanks for the dryer description of your children at play - they are VERY creative. My kids respect them already. We currently don't have a dryer, as ours just died, so I can freely describe this one to them.

Briee

I just had to post a nighty night to Briee and am glad I could provide you with a story to pass on. OMG, 6 kids no dryer...you have my deepest sympathies.

Quickie...I love your little "thinking guy" Melody, too cute. Thanks for the sympathy - we are using the clotheline nonstop.

Briee

>I like the way you say 1/3 or 1/2 ROM. I'm guessing that
>means you can get a third or half of the way up from a dead
>hang? In my book, the two half-way up from a dead hang do not
>equal one full one from a dead hang, but you're of course
>welcome to count them any way you wish.

I not REALLY counting them as full reps. I just wanted to feel like I was somewhere on them!

One question for the check-in: do we mean "chin-ups" or "pull-ups"? Chin-ups are a bit easier because there's more bicep involvement, but I want to make sure I'm on the same page as everyone else.

>Kathryn....we sucked ya in!! I'm interested to see how you
>progress with these. Keep detailed records. What is your
>body type?

According to what system?
I'm an ecto-endo (more ecto on top, endo on the bottom) and if I don't workout, I get doughy on the bottom and scrawny on the top (doesn't sound like I'm naturally made to do pull-ups or chin-ups!).

We mean chin-ups because they're easier due to the bicep recruitment you mentioned. The people who can already do some are working on both underhand (i.e., chin-ups) and overhead pull-ups. If I ever get to my one chin-up goal, I may add pull-ups as well, but that will be a long time coming.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.