Chin-Up Check-In Fri, 6.2

Soosan

Cathlete
Good morning! I'll be doing assisted chins at the Y later this morning and may or may not get a circuit in later. The Ball is tomorrow and then it's back to normal.

Hope you all have a great day and that everyone's kids are feeling better!:)

Waving Hi to Soooooooooooosan and all who follow!!!! Hope things go well with the Ball tomorrow. I am amazed at how so many of you women manage to do so much and still keep fit.

Today I did P90X chest, shoulders and triceps. So I am supposed to do chins tomorrow- I think I'll see how my upper body feels. I may need one more day of rest.

Have a great weekend all!!

Catherine

Hi:)
I posted in yesterday's thread so I'm copying it here:

>I firmly believe that 1/2 of doing chin-ups in mental muscle: >telling yourself you ARE GOING TO DO IT and then doing it.

>Kathryn >^. .^<

Ok, I'm pumping up the brain muscles now in preparation for this afternoon's workout. Does anyone know the symptoms of a brain strain? I don't want to overdo.

Brain strain, I think I had that earlier this week. It starts with this since of urgency to do multiple sets of chinups and pushups. Then after doing a tough leg workout a feeling of need to do lowmax }( }( Uh, my legs and glutes are still sore from that one. Oh wait you said brain strain, not butt strain:+ :+

Catherine

Catherine, thanks so much for your help, not.:p

I am teeter-tottering between cardio/core/yoga today and ME/chins/pushups tomorrow or vice-versa. Will report back in if I do the weights/chin negatives today.

Pleasant afternoon to all.

Back to report: no workout, but did manage to squeeze in some chins between tasks at the Y. The gymnasium is almost all decorated and looks incredibly beautiful. They've hung multi-colored ribbons of different widths from ceiling rafters down to the tables and the effect is breathtaking. This ball is going to be something else!

Oh yeah, my report: got a few inches up from a dead hang, although it's hard to tell exactly how high. (My elbows did not get to 90 degrees.) Did a "forehead-up" w/10 lbs, then one complete rep with 15, then two more with 20. I was talking to a guy about it and he thought I should try to get to at least 8 reps with whatever assistance I needed and when that gets easy, drop down 5 lbs and so on. I told him that, since my goal was to get to ONE, I was doing the "try to get to one w/as little assistance as possible" method combined with negatives at home. (Oh yeah, I guess I still have those to do... I may not - I still have a bunch more Y work to do.) Anyway, I'm going to continue with what I'm doing and, if I make no progress, I'll go back to his way.

I agree that doing them is somewhat mental, but I am trying my absolute hardest to pull myself up and it just ain't happenin'. Although I agree that a "can do" attitude helps, I think it's naive to think that it's just a matter of telling yourself you can do it. As an analogy: Can any of you do a split? If not, is it just a mental thing to get that crotch down to the floor or is it something you need to work up to?

Looking forward to hearing about everyone's progress!:)

Oh oh - I can do a split. :7

Decided on cardio/core/yoga. I'll report on the chinneys tomorrow.

BTW great work Sooooooooooooosan. I'll talk to you a lot in the next few days as I probably won't be able to speak to you very soon.:)

Here's a question about learning to do pullups and Tony Horton's response over at beachbody:

1. Tony,

I keep trying to do those pull-ups from P90X, but I'm not moving up even a little bit. What would your recommend to achieve those pull-ups?

Thank you very much,
Elena Submitted by "eleonela"

Tony's Answer:
Elena,

As you can see from the workouts, there are two ways to modify pull-ups. There is the band technique and using a chair. If pull-ups are impossible when starting out, the bands are a great way to work the majority of your back muscles. With Power 90
all the back moves are done by pulling dumbbells or bands from the floor up toward the body. The Power 90 back exercises are also great for strengthening the back, burning calories, and toning the upper body. With this said, none of it will help you do pull-ups. You must be willing to use a chair and begin the long hard process. Pull-ups are probably the toughest exercise in P90X. If you have weight to lose, then pull-ups are really going to be rough. Women have an even harder road to hoe because they don't have as much natural testosterone as men. I know men in great physical shape who struggle with pull-ups. Pull-ups are a monster! None of this information should detour you from continuing to try.

Anything worth doing is worth working at. Everyone has something that challenges them. For some folks it's yoga. For others it's plyometrics. I have been spending four years trying to hold a handstand. I'll be 48 years old in July and I'm working on handstands! I suppose a lot of people would have quit trying within the first year. I don't think like that. I keep practicing and I keep looking for people to show me proper technique. I treated yoga the same way. When I started I was clueless. It took two years, twice a week, before I had the basics down. I liked yoga because I was so bad at it. It revealed a weakness I didn't know existed. Working on your strengths doesn't help you get stronger, it's the things you struggle with that make you better. That's what pull-ups are for you.

Here's how you're going to get better at your pull-ups. You must lose any extra weight. The lighter you are, the easier they become. Practice them on cardio days but not during the workouts. Find a time when you're fresh and do three sets. Take as much time as you need between each set. More than three sets is overkill. The P90X schedule has you doing pull-ups twice a week. Not enough if you can't do any. Use the chair technique and work on them two more times a week. By adding six more sets per week you will see improvement. If I can hang on for two years with yoga and four years and counting on handstands, then you can handle six extra sets of pull-ups a week using a chair, for as long as it takes. 5/29/06

Interesting that he says you should do them 4x per week if you are not able to do any. I wonder what about those of us who can only do small sets?? Anyway thought maybe this might help some tweak their routine.

Catherine

>Although I agree that a "can do" attitude helps, I
>think it's naive to think that it's just a matter of telling
>yourself you can do it.

I don't think it's ALL in one's head, but from my own experience, I know that sometimes the difference between my getting a "nose-up" and my full chin is that extra mental effort. You have to push yourself a bit beyond the point where your body/mind says 'nah'!

You definitely have to work up to a certain point physically before the mental 'oomph' helps.

I haven't quite gotten to that point for a second rep! Though I am now consistant and getting one rep in (with that extra mental push).

> I wonder what about those of us who
>can only do small sets??

Yeah,like my 1 1/2 (1 3/4 on a good day!) sets!
Though it looks like he means sets using the chair for assistance.

Oh, just in case anyone reaches her goal and feels like these are getting too easy (HA!), I know a guy who is now challenging himself to do ONE-ARM chins (he can currently do 5!).

RE: Some inspiration!

WOW, a 77 year old who can still do chinup!! Just proof that we must keep at it.

Back to Tony's suggestion- he talks about using the chair for assist. I personally like doing negatives. The seem to work the back more. Of course I use a chair to get up. But I think he is talking about using one foot on the chair to raise up and lower down, using less of the leg on the chair as you progress. I tried that and it didn't seem to do much for me. Now I don't have the bands so I can not comment on them.

Catherine

>Oh, just in case anyone reaches her goal and feels like these
>are getting too easy (HA!), I know a guy who is now
>challenging himself to do ONE-ARM chins (he can currently do
>5!).

^^^^^ I'm sorry, could someone just pick me up off the floor now.

At my rate my chins/pullups will be like Tony's 4-year handstand effort. One arm, are you trying to make me cry?:+

Catherine-Thanks for the info from Tony. It was very interesting and motivating.

Joanne

I'm hanging my head...did ME this afternoon but blew off the chin negatives. I did work hard on extra pushups, but I know that's another thread.

Now someone make me feel bad so I don't skip these again...please, make me feel guilty.

BTW after reading Kathryn's post about Tony's advice do I have it straight - I should work on the negatives/and attempts on cardio days rather than on weight days? I've been doing them on weight days, but before I actually lift. Does that sound ok? Or best to do them on cardio days?

I'm working on pushups too, should these be done on the same or different days of chin negatives?

And I need to up my attempts to 3 attempts per week instead of my 2. I don't think I could do them more than 3x because I am really sore for a day sometimes more after doing negatives.

TIA for anyone's answers to the above questions.

Good night chinsters.

Melody, first of all I blew off my chins yesterday too. So I guess we both better get on it today!!!! Well I did do 2 chins while walking by. But seriously need to get a full set in today. So there's the challenge, the gauntlet is laid down. Are you up for it Miss Melody }( }( }(

Ok as far as Tony's suggestion. I read it as do more than 2x per week. Preferably 4, but if you get in 3 I think that's fine. He did say do them on cardio days. I think that's mainly to do it while you are fresh. BTW, I just stopped to do 3 chinups. 3 down, ? more to go-later though. Keep at it Melody, you CAN do it!!!!

I am so excited. My sister has been suffering from depression, bad, since her divorce over two years ago. I was finally able to convince her to let my other sister and I pay her way on a trip to Hawaii later this year. My brother, sister and I are going to take may mom who will be 74. And probably the last big trip that she will go on. My youngest sister with the depression, has shut her self off from the rest of the world for the last year. She's back on medicine and feeling better and I was able to convince her to let us help her go. You can't put a $$ value on memories like that. She is soooooo excited to go. My mom is so excited that she is now going. As you can tell I am too!! Just had to share this with you wonderful ladies.

Catherine

Forgot to say, Melody, I think it's ok to do chins with wts and do them first. Just remember that (at least for me) after chins, I can't lift as heavy on some exercises. Like biceps curls. I think it's ok to do chins and pushups on the same day. I just seperate them. I do chins first and then do pushups. Because I want to focus on my chins more.

Catherine,

I'm excited for you and your family, what a lovely thing to do for your mom and sister. I wish you an unforgetably beautiful time in Hawaii. BTW, you deserve it, too.

Thanks for your encouragement and advice. I will not give up. As for the gauntlet, I'll have to pick it up tomorrow. Today is a rest day and I'm going to stick to it. I'm doing Cathe's June rotation beginning tomorrow, of course, with chinup negatives and pushups galore added in. If I don't check in next week, it means I'm just a puddle on the floor.:7

Happy, relaxing Sunday to all you ladies.:)

I'm taking that rest day today, but just in case Briee stops by -- I wanted her to know I made donuts for the boys today. Yeah, for the boys.;-)

>Catherine,
>
>I'm excited for you and your family, what a lovely thing to
>do for your mom and sister. I wish you an unforgetably
>beautiful time in Hawaii. BTW, you deserve it, too.
>
>Thanks for your encouragement and advice. I will not give up.
> As for the gauntlet, I'll have to pick it up tomorrow. Today
>is a rest day and I'm going to stick to it. I'm doing Cathe's
>June rotation beginning tomorrow, of course, with chinup
>negatives and pushups galore added in. If I don't check in
>next week, it means I'm just a puddle on the floor.:7
>
>Happy, relaxing Sunday to all you ladies.:)

Melody, thanks for saying I deserve it too!!! It will be a wonderful time!!

Enjoy your rest day and pick up the gauntlet tomorrow (not Cathe's version:+ ) I did throughout the day 2 sets of 3 and 4 sets of 2. Haven't done any negatives. Maybe later,.....

Catherine

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.