childs weight

julia99

Hi
I have a daughter who is very over weight. She is 8 years old and is weighing 10 stone. We are very fit parents and workout on a regular basis.We also have another daughter and a son who are not over weight. We are very careful with her diet And she does regular swimming 3 times a week and dance classes, But still can not shift her weight. Has any other person had the same problem and found some way to get there weight down. As we are very worried how this will effect her health.
Thank you

Hi,
My daughter is very overweight also. What is 10 stone equal to in pounds. My daughter will be 9 in June and is 114 pounds. The doctor was very upset at her physical. My other daughter is 10 and is 62 pounds. I am trying to be more active with my daughters and teach them good eating habits. I am afraid to focus too much on her weight because I don't want to give my children eating issues. I am very active also. Sorry is that doesn't help but I am really trying to work with her.
Phyllis

Hi,

I was overweight as a child and my dad took me to Weight Watchers when I was 7. Twenty five years later I've finally quit dieting. The sad thing is I eventually grew out of my chubby stage but just didn't know it--I was too busy trying to have a figure that wasn't possible. My dad had wonderful intentions, but I think having a parent essentially tell you you're not good enough or something's wrong with you can do a lot of damage to the self esteem. My sister was always naturally thin and a natural athlete, so I always felt like I didn't measure up to her.

I think the best thing you can do is accept her and help her to find activities she enjoys and promote healthy eating yourself. One thing I can tell you is if you disapprove of what she eats or tell her not to eat something, it will lead to feelings of guilt, and cravings, and eventually probably bingeing.

Well, that's my two cents. Hope that helps.

Staci

I have a mixed reaction to your post here. I don't think there's a clear cut answer to this or suggested path to follow: there are a bunch of possibles and variables, and your daughter's sensitivity and happiness must come first and be treated with the greatest love and respect, as I am sure you do. All I have here are some thoughts........and they can be quite contradictory ones I am afraid.

Firstly, children's weight and frame and body composition tends to follow that of their parents. Of course it may be that grandparents' genes are coming out in your daughter's body composition, and yet 10 stone for an 8 year old is too much and is setting her up for a myriad of health problems, and potentially social problems as she progresses through junior and secondary school. 10 stone is an adult weight. You are right to want to address these issues now.

It is also true that children's growth follows a particular pattern that is innate to their genetics. Sometimes there are rapid periods of growth, sometimes slow, but if you look at books on child growth, they will generally say that this is the age when children lengthen and can get quite slim as the body proportion changes from the large headed dumpy toddler and small child to the more evenly bodily proportioned, taller, slimmer older child.

Your child does not seem to be following that pattern. But she may have her own in-built program: who is to say or predict what her growth pattern will be over the next few years? I remember that I was always stick thin heading into adolescence, but my younger sister was dumpier and suddenly lost her baby fat and morphed into a swan virtually overnight aged around 14, 15.

I also come from a very slim family, generally, but my second sister has inherited different genes from me and has always struggled with her weight. My two neices, who are the most delightful and accomplished and socially well-adjusted children, clearly come from another stock altogether: in fact their father was adopted so no-one knows what their real paternal grandparents looked like, which might explain their body proportions. Both girls are large, "well-built" as you might say. I have no idea what they weigh but aged 10 their body's course had already been determined and was visible. They both grew up doing a variety of physical activities but that didn't change a thing, they have real hunger, and I think my sister has been right to never discuss their weight with them, to never put them on diets. Luckily, through her parenting and enormous love for them, they will never develop the anorexia I suffered from even though I was never overweight as a child or teen, They have healthy self-respect, they are just twice the size of me and that's how it is. Hearts of gold however and fabulous brains. These girls are high achievers.

Your daughter may be larger, but who's to say what impact this may or may not have upon her character, social life, her ability to shine as an academically brilliant young thing and good friend at school? I think a lot depends upon how you, her parents, respond to her and treat her: unconditional love and support and a happy family foundation can go far to help counteract the horrid things other kids at school might say if they are immature enough to dare.

So, what should you do? I'm not sure. But, since your daughter stands out as being so different from the rest of the family, you might just take her to your GP for a physical, and have her thyroid tested: hyperthyroidism (or is it hypothyroidism? can't remember which one) leads to weight gain such as you describe simply because it slows down the metabolism. It can be easily fixed should this be the problem.

I think you are already doing great things: you make sure she has a healthy diet with the accent on fruits, vegetables, cereals, lean sources of protein, and remove crisps, sweets, cakes, puddings, etc. She doesn't need empty calories, her growing body needs real food, with plenty of protein and calcium. You say she is physically active. Excellent. Remember though that swimming builds powerful shoulder and back muscle, so the very choice of activities is helping to create a particular body shape. Not that she should stop swimming. If she loves it, then it is the sport for her and no-one should interfere with that. But swimming does make you ravenous afterwards so check out what snacks she eats post-swim and make sure it's none of that swimming pool cafeteria crap. You could always pack her some baby carrots, a banana and a yoghurt, that type of thing.

I think that after exploring the thyroid thing, I would proceed with caution. Her health and hapiness come first, so please try not to communicate subtle, almost subliminal messages to her that she is the "different" one in the family, the one with the "problem." That could be quite psychologically damaging. I'm not saying you do this, hjust something to think about. I have to be careful about doing this kind of thing with my daughters too. Just do your Mum bit: look after her health, keep the whole family active, but also have fun and see what happens in the next few years.

Hope this helps even just a little,

Clare

Hi Staci
Thank you for your advice. I do except my daugter as she is, but find it very hard, when she starts crying when she feels that she can't put on the clothes that her friends wear. And has to endure the torment from school children.

Pearl is very lucky as her school is very small and most of her friends are lovely. But pearl feels very concious about her self, And that concerns me. Even though we try to instal confidence in her.

One day i hope she will except her self, as you have done.
Iam sure she will grow out of it to.

Thank you

Hi Slim,

Oh, I feel bad now. I hope you didn't think I thought you don't accept your child! I think it's obvious how much you love her that you're posting here about trying to find ideas to help her--and admirable.

I think my own parents accepted me and were trying to help me as a child to spare me the pain that being overweight brings. I was just pointing out that I think their good intentions backfired. I was too young to really understand, and all I took from it was that somehow I wasn't good enough. I needed to change. Self esteem is such a tough thing for children, boys and girls both, and it doesn't matter whether you're too skinny, overweight, have acne whatever.

I just wanted to give you an adult perspective on how that affected me as a child.

Best of luck!

Staci

Hi,

One thing you could check out and see if interests you--it's www.hugs.com. They offer an online course about nondieting and accepting yourself, and it's run by a dietician in Canada--by non diet, that means healthy living rather than do nothing. They offer a course for teenagers, and there's one geared for young teens age 11-14 I think. Also, I think there's a links page that has some good references.

There's also a book on www.fitwoman.com that's geared toward young women. It's called Helping Your Daughter to Love her Body and it's by Brenda Lane Richardson and Elane Rehr. Go into the shopfitwoman link and books and you'll find it.

Staci

I had to look this up, so for anyone who is wondering, 1 stone = exactly 14 pounds, so the child weighs 140 lbs.

I agree with Clare and Staci...and you know this too...just try to not make a huge deal out of your daughter being overweight. Love and support are what she needs at this age/stage. She knows she's bigger than the other girls in her class and that is on her mind anyway without having adults point it out too. Like Clare said, as long as you are making sure she is eating a healthy diet and not eating junk foods that are empty calories, and making sure she stays active and plays outside...not sitting in front of the television or constantly reading (some kids will dive into reading to avoid having to play) but as long as you are doing your best to help her from gaining anymore...than that's all you can do. As has been said, genetics are cast in stone. Not everyone is blessed with a 'average' build.

My family is all slender and we don't have any one who is overweight. All of my neices and nephews on my side are slender as well. My husbands side is a different story. His mother and his two sister's have been overweight as long as I've known them and it's because they eat all the time and when they eat a meal they eat enough for three people. All three of these woman also have extremely large breasts. Now, I mention that because my H and I have 3 daughter's and I've always said I can deal with them inheriting H's genes to eat like hogs but I sure hope they don't inherit the huge busts because those big boobs will keep them from being as active as they could be. My one SIL did have reduction surgery a few years ago and after that started exercising regularly but she still eats too much so she never loses any weight.

Okay, our oldest daughter is built just like H's two sisters and right now she's 10 and weighs 74 pounds...she's not overweight per se but the potential is there (oh she's also short for her age). I really watch what she eats...how much she eats...because she will fill her plate again and again if I don't watch her. I encourage her to eat more fruits and vegetables and less meat, but she could eat an entire steak herself if I would let her. But most of the time I just have to say to her...Okay, you've had enough take a break from eating and see if you FEEL full. See, this is how my H's sisters are too...they will eat and eat and eat just because the food is there and then they lay around complaining how they ate TOO MUCH after the fourth plate full!!!

Now our other two daughter's are skinny as rails at the ages of 7 and 4, but our 10 year old has always been 'thicker' built. So, I do emphathize with your concern for your daughter. I always keep healthy snacks in the house, there is always fresh fruit in the fridge and I try to keep various melons cut-up and at the ready...same for vege's like cauliflower and carrots. My kids will all eat fresh fruits/veges so that's half the battle right there. And I just do not keep high calorie sugary snacks or chips in the house. If they are really hungry (between meals) they make a sandwich and have fruit with it. I also always have yogurt on hand too and I will make sugar-free jello on occasion but I try to discourage sweet snacks like that as much as possible.

Now, don't think I never let them have candy or dessert or pop. They get to have those things as a treat when we go out or go somewhere like a ball game. My 'plan' is during the week dessert is always fruit either fresh fruit or a cobbler type that I've made myself so I know what's in it. Then if we do go somewhere on the weekend and we're around other kids who are having ice cream or drinking pop...I let my kids have it too because they don't eat that kind of crap everyday.

And actually, this is how I was raised. My mother never kept junk food in the house. We always ate things that were healthy...she was a farm wife cooking with basic ingredients and we didn't eat cake and donuts and cookies every day after school either. And we never had pop except for special occasion's mainly because my mother was forward thinking enough back in the fifties/sixties to know that pop would rot our teeth and she was ever concerned about all of us having nice teeth as adults! I don't even let my kids drink Kool-Aid. I hate that stuff yet what is served at every birthday party your kids go to but Kool Aid?!!! At least in the USA that is a party staple. The parent might as well just spoon sugar over the top of the birthday cake and ice cream too.

Anyways...I'm getting off of my sugar soap box now...like I've said, I always have healthy snacks at the ready for my kids and I watch how much my oldest is eating. I try not to make a big deal out of it so it doesn't make her feel singled out. She knows she can have seconds of vegetable so that is usually what she asks for because when we do have a meat dish I put a portion on their plates and that is how much they can have. Now my other three kids are not big meat eaters so this isn't an issue with them, they always leave food on their plates, but my 10 year old will usually ask for seconds of steak because that is her favorite. I'm kind of going on the theory that if you overeat all the time you lose that sense of feeling full. And I know my MIL and two SIL's could eat a house if they set their minds to it so maybe that is genetic as well...some brain chemical imbalance that doesn't signal when the stomach is full.

And of course I keep my daughter as active as possible. She plays softball in the summer and volleyball during school and she does tumbling. She didn't do basketball this year because she is one of the shortest girls and she cannot make a basket at regulation height so she's just discouraged at this point. I'm hoping by next year she'll have grown some (my two SIL's are both very short women!) because basketball is a very physical sport and I would like to see her play. But she also has her pony to take care of every day and I don't let her use a saddle very often so she has to jump on and off all the time plus use her legs more just to stay on.

So just be as subtle as you can about watching what she eats/how much she eats and keep her active. My daughter realizes she isn't as thin as some of the girls in her class who wear the belly shirts and really short shorts. I try to discourage the skinny-minny thinking that many of these young girls have in their minds of how their bodies should look. Rather I encourage her to be as healthy as she can be and that good nutrition will keep her healthier not trying to be model thin because it's unrealistic for ANYONE. And I try to be a role model for her by not talking about my own body...what I WISH I could change or what I wish I could wear. My own mother never talked about self-image and I think that's why myself and my sister's never felt we weren't thin enough or that we had to be skinny to be liked. Some mother's are so obsessed with their bodies that that's all they talk about and their daughter's pick up on that mentality and then feel they too aren't thin enough or their butts are too big, their boobs too small, etc. etc.

So, we love our kids for who they are just as we love ourselves for who we are. And our job as parents is to educate our kids on how to live a healthy lifestyle and the best way to do that is to be that role model for them.:D

Believe it or not...after all my blabbering I forgot to mention something! I do stay active by playing sports with my kids all the time. We have a basketball hoop, we play badminton and volleyball, practice baseball at home too, and I teach tumbling to my kids as well. We also live 4 miles outside of town so in the summer we ride bikes into the ball practices and games.

Another thing you could do to get your daughter more active is to go for walks everyday. Swimming is a great activity and so is dance but with dance they really aren't getting an aerobic workout like she will get with walking, and going for a long walk is something you can do together and some mother/daughter time or do as a family. Walking/hiking is my favorite activity because I live in a cold climate and I lust for the warm months!

Believe it or not...after all my blabbering I forgot to mention something! I do stay active by playing sports with my kids all the time. We have a basketball hoop, we play badminton and volleyball, practice baseball at home too, and I teach tumbling to my kids as well. We also live 4 miles outside of town so in the summer we ride bikes into the ball practices and games.

Another thing you could do to get your daughter more active is to go for walks everyday. Swimming is a great activity and so is dance but with dance they really aren't getting an aerobic workout like she will get with walking, and going for a long walk is something you can do together and some mother/daughter time or do as a family. Walking/hiking is my favorite activity because I live in a cold climate and I lust for the warm months!

Slim, I have been thinking about this thread all day and I would like to ask a couple of questions. One, how does your daughter feel about her weight? Have you talked with her about her feelings and do you think she wants to lose any weight?

Maybe what you need to do is sit down with her, just the two of you, and talk about the overweight issue with her. Explain to her in terms that a nine year old can grasp that what she eats affects her overall well being and explain to her that healthy foods are better choices for her and that sweets and such should be saved for specific times and not something we should eat everyday. Even just changing from eating a sugary breakfast cereal to something more nutritious will be a small change but will have a big benefit over time. Have you read any of the books focusing on the glycemic index? The more informed we are as parents...the better choices we can help our children make.

Maybe even talking with a dietitician could help both of you. Certainly we don't want her to feel like an outcast or that she has done something wrong to cause her to be overweight. Instead focus on the positive by explaining what she needs to do to get her health in better order. And start with small steps. Replace unhealthy snacks/desserts with better food choices. And then in a couple of weeks start focusing on healthier breakfasts, then lunches, then dinners. And start a exercise routine with her as soon as possible...walking being the easiest thing I can think of and just start out at a slow pace and gradually build to a faster pace of walking. You could also start roller blading for some variety. Exercise for kids needs to be fun, not work. They don't get into vigorous workouts like us adults do!

Also, Fitness magazine has been doing a feature for the past few months by choosing families with overweight children and then helping them set goals to improve nutrition, fitness and ultimately slim down. You could check their website to see if those articles are available to read online. I remember one kid in particular who didn't like having to give up all the snack cakes and candy they usually ate every day but after a couple of months even that child was agreeing that she felt better, and was losing weight and feeling better about herself.

Anyway, I hope you can set up a plan that works for your family.

Slim, I have been thinking about this thread all day and I would like to ask a couple of questions. One, how does your daughter feel about her weight? Have you talked with her about her feelings and do you think she wants to lose any weight?

Maybe what you need to do is sit down with her, just the two of you, and talk about the overweight issue with her. Explain to her in terms that a nine year old can grasp that what she eats affects her overall well being and explain to her that healthy foods are better choices for her and that sweets and such should be saved for specific times and not something we should eat everyday. Even just changing from eating a sugary breakfast cereal to something more nutritious will be a small change but will have a big benefit over time. Have you read any of the books focusing on the glycemic index? The more informed we are as parents...the better choices we can help our children make.

Maybe even talking with a dietitician could help both of you. Certainly we don't want her to feel like an outcast or that she has done something wrong to cause her to be overweight. Instead focus on the positive by explaining what she needs to do to get her health in better order. And start with small steps. Replace unhealthy snacks/desserts with better food choices. And then in a couple of weeks start focusing on healthier breakfasts, then lunches, then dinners. And start a exercise routine with her as soon as possible...walking being the easiest thing I can think of and just start out at a slow pace and gradually build to a faster pace of walking. You could also start roller blading for some variety. Exercise for kids needs to be fun, not work. They don't get into vigorous workouts like us adults do!

Also, Fitness magazine has been doing a feature for the past few months by choosing families with overweight children and then helping them set goals to improve nutrition, fitness and ultimately slim down. You could check their website to see if those articles are available to read online. I remember one kid in particular who didn't like having to give up all the snack cakes and candy they usually ate every day but after a couple of months even that child was agreeing that she felt better, and was losing weight and feeling better about herself.

Anyway, I hope you can set up a plan that works for your family.

PLEASE DON'T FEEL BAD. You gave me some great advice.
Don't know about you, but i feel children arn't children anymore. They seem to be acting much older than there age.
When i was a child i too had a weight problem, not as bad as my daugter. The difference was i didn't care. All i wanted to do was play with my friends.
And not once did i ever get teased about it. Times different then. It wasn't a issue. But fasion and image seem to be the topic of conversion, with children, as young as eight year old. Which saddens me. Yes i want my child to lose weight because of concerns of her health. And yes i try to teach her healthy eating and activties, which is important for all children.
I am very lucky with my daugter that she has a great senae of hummer and quite confidant. We have tried to give her good grounds and for her to love herself for what she is.
But for some children there not so lucky in confidence, and that's when the trouble can start. WHO WANTS TO BE A PARENT! THE JOB IS TO DIFFICULT! ha, ha ,ha.

Thanks again staci
Take care.;-)

PLEASE DON'T FEEL BAD. You gave me some great davice.

I don't know about you, but i feel children arn;t children anymore. They seem to be acting much older than there age.
When i was a child i too had a weight problem, not as bad as my daugter. The difference was i didn't care. All i wanted to do was play with my friends. And not once did i ever get teased about it.
Times were different then. It wasn't a issue. But fasion and image seem to be the topic of conversion, with children as young as eight years old. Which saddens me. Yes i want my child to lose weght because of concerns of her health. And yes i try to teach her healthy eating and activties, witch is important for all children.
I am very lucky with my daugter that she has a great sense of hummer and quite confidant. We have tried to give her good grounds and for her to love herself for what she is.
But for some children there not so luky in confidence, and that's when the trouble can start. WHO WANTS TO BE A PARENT! The job is to difficult! ha,ha,ha.

Thanks again staci
And take care
:)

Slim,

Maybe I am missing it, but I didn't read where your child was checked out to see if she may be overweight for medical reasons. Have you had her thyroid checked?

I, too, was extremely overweight as a child. But, I also ate a lot. I was raised in an Italian household where food was very important. My grandmother didn't think you were healthy unless you were 20 pounds overweight! LOL

I eventually lost the weight in high school (45 pounds) but I had to take personal responsibility and control for myself in order to lose it (while tolerating the disapproval of my grandmother).

If your daughter is overweight due to overeating (emotional or otherwise), it may be a good time to instill the "choices and consequences" type conversations. She would learn the value of taking personal responsibility. This may work because you stated that she does get upset from time to time because of clothing issues and such. I believe she could grasp the concept at her age if she was given simple examples of "cause and effect".

Good luck!

Hi Slim! My son is 12 years old & weighs 150#s. He's a big boy. My son is totally inactive. He just loves to sit in front of the tv & play his video games or just watch tv. He does go outside to find some of his friends that are bike riding but it usually happens that either his friends are at sports or religion so he has to ride by himself which only amounts to 15 min. I recently bought a stationary bike for the basement in my workout room. He & my DH have no excuse now not to exercise. My son can put his favorite tv program on & keep peddling away or he can use his iPod to listen to his favorite music by peddling. I also purchased 2 excellent cookbooks called "Healthy Foods" and "Saving Dinner" by Leanne Ely. She's a nutritionist. This week I started making recipes from both books. My son RAVED about them! I had a problem getting him to eat anything with lettuce & tomatoes. The swimming & dance IMO aren't expelling enough calories for her. She's going to need to get on a bike & start peddling away or perhaps she would be interested in soccer. I feel for you; its been a real challenge for me too as my son's genetics unfortunately take after my husband's side of the family. Most of them are obese. I hope I've helped some. Best of luck to you! Kathy:D

My younger son began to be overweight when he was about 8 yrs old. But we at least KNEW what it was, as he was going to the fridge and emotional eating. We knew it was emotional and not a growth spurt, as he was having a very hard year with a difficult teacher,(although he was always a great student) and it was affecting him--he would stand at the fridge and eat--even after dinner. And he began to be chubby.

We didn't want to make him feel badly, so we just tried to get his diet healthy, but you are right--they will ask you 'mom please help me lose weight--the kids are teeasing me. And this was despite many physical activities also.

Since your daughter is active AND eating healthy and not over eating.....I would have the doctor check to make sure there isn't something causing this. If he rules that out, then I would just keep her active and eating right--my son grew out of it (6"4") and although he is still a stout young man, he is not fat. Sometimes, I do believe kids have a 'chunky' phase before they have a sudden growth spurt.

I fear these children developing eating disorders and a whole host of other problems if these issues are not handeled with extreme care. :D

Love
Edith

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.