Chicago Road Trip

bear2017

Hello,

I recently my journey back into fitness at 62yrs. Am during the 1st ICE rotation but have to constantly pause the cardio parts to just catch my breath! Are the road trips for advanced exercisers only or could a low intermediate "hide" in the back and follow along as best they can in the group classes? There is no list of classes planned and I don't want to be in over my head but also know that one challenges oneself harder when in a live class as opposed to working out at home.
Any thoughts?

Lynn

Hello,

I recently my journey back into fitness at 62yrs. Am during the 1st ICE rotation but have to constantly pause the cardio parts to just catch my breath! Are the road trips for advanced exercisers only or could a low intermediate "hide" in the back and follow along as best they can in the group classes? There is no list of classes planned and I don't want to be in over my head but also know that one challenges oneself harder when in a live class as opposed to working out at home.
Any thoughts?

Lynn
Hi Lynn, great question. I'm 60 years old and am planning on attending this road trip (I attended a road trip in New Jersey in 2008 and it was a ton of fun). It is definitely not ONLY for advanced exercisers; you do what you can and modify when necessary to protect yourself. I no longer do any kind of high impact, I also avoid crunches (not good for my back) or any exercise that can hurt my back, knees, whatever, I modify all of that and that's what I plan to do if I get in the Chicago road trip. You can challenge yourself but, of course, always in a safe way. :) I honestly think you will be just fine and have a lot of fun. Oh and I always "hide" in the back of the crowd so we can be there together. :)

I have been to a whole bunch of Road Trips (don't ask, lol), and I will say that although you will certainly see a lot of advanced exercisers there, there will also be Cathletes of all levels and many different abilities. I consider myself a high-intermediate/low advanced exerciser, and I just modify what I need to modify.

Also, Cathe will "read" the room and adjust her workouts accordingly. She will offer modifications as well. Plus she usually tones down the jumping and other high impact a bit on those hard hotel floors.

There are lots of us dealing with injuries and other limitations, so if you're considering going, you should go! It is a TON of fun and you will meet so many great people. That's why I keep coming back! Hope to meet you there!!

I agree. You should always modify if it hurts or it isn't comfortable. Remember Cat he has been doing this for more than 20 years. Cathe is the exception and not the rule. I look at this, as long as I can make through the workout even with modifications that is amazing. I remember, years ago I would look at Cathe previews to her DVD and I was like I wish I could do it even with modifications and now I can. Even if you can't finish the workout, if you keep working and working on it. Doing something is better than not doing anything!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.