Chalene Johnson's Chalean Extreme Program

neicebug

Cathlete
Hi girlies!

OK...I am really confused! I just got the Chalean Extreme program.

Is it my imagination or is this very very similar to the STS program...and probably the P90X program?

I thought I was ordering the upgraded version of turbo jam...I need more cardio options and thought turbo jam might be good. So, this is not the program that I was searching for and most likely will return it.

xx, Denise :)

Denise - It is a full weight program, with only a little cardio for the in between days. I like it because the workouts are 30 - 40 minutes and way more manageable for me at the moment. If that isn't what you are looking for, you would probably be better off with the Turbo Jam Fat Burner set, if you do not already have it. Or, if you haven't already, use the refund money to pre-order Cathe's new Cardio set. ;)

Why don't you try it out first? CLX is a very unique weight lifting program that I've enjoyed better than anything else I have. I use Turbo Jam with it and love that as well! Chalene may be filming something called Turbo Fire for 2010 and that is supposed to take Turbo Jam to the next level. She also has Turbo Kick or something like that but you have to be certified or something to order those and they are quite pricey.

Thanks guys!

I was just previewing the Chalean disc 1....it just looks so much like the Cathe workouts.

I really need a workout that is at least an hour long.

I think I will just order the turbo jam with the gloves...hey, I can use them for my extra weight for Cathe's STS too!!!

I appreciate your feedback!

If you lift as heavy as you should for the CLX workouts you won't have anything left to go beyond the half hour, forty minutes these run. ;)

I was just previewing the Chalean disc 1....it just looks so much like the Cathe workouts.
The only similarity I see is that they both use weights and are in phases.

CLX really is different from anything out there. The short workouts are time efficient (as Beavs said, if you lift as heavy as you should, you won't need or want more than 30-some minutes), and each phase is slightly different in rep count and types of exercises (mostly combination moves in "Burn" where you work upper and lower at the same time with 10-12 reps per set; separate upper and lower body moves in "Push," where you do a 6-8 rep set; and more functional, full-body moves in "Lean," which goes back to 10-12 reps per set).

Also, the lower body is worked every weight day, while the upper body goes through a rotation.

Since you have 30 days to try these out, why not try the first week of Burn just to see if you'd like it?

About TJ and gloves: I've picked up quite a few TJ workouts and really like them, but I think their gloves suck. I don't at all like the way they feel when I wear them. I much prefer my Ironwear gloves.

Ok Ok...Beavs and Kathryn... you have been thinking I need to give it a fair shake! ;)

Perhaps I can figure out how to do a 30 min cardio w/o to mix with these dvd's...I just have that OLD mind set about need to do an entire hour of cardio. I am sort of an all or nothing gal...if I am in the gym and IF I MUST wash my hair when I am done, it better be worth it!!! Haha! :D (I HATE TO FIX MY HAIR! - did you notice?) :p

I wonder if I get the turbo jam to do the 30-40 min cardio, that might be a nice change.

Kathryn...the other gloves you mention, do they have a weight inside of them too?

Input is sooo very much appreciated!!!

Quick, fun, effective...

Chalene Extreme is blowing my mind. Mind you, I have done allot of Cathe and love her. CE's compound moves are interesting. I am working hard, the time commitment is manageable and the fun factor is high:). I wish, however, that she would warm up a little longer...I just pause and warm up myself. Cathe has taught us well in that regard. ;),

I say give em a whirl. You might enjoy the difference.

Last edited:
I also didn't realize it was mostly weights when I ordered either. I also say to try it, as I've really enjoyed it. I'm in the 1st week of the push phase now. I usually do add on about 30 minutes of cardio on the weight days. I keep it pretty light because the weight work is hard, but I have the same mind set you do about working out for an hour (sometimes more). I would also mention that I LOVE the cardio workouts that came with it.

I love CTX! It finally got me weight training on a regular basis--something I knew I needed to do, but the dread factor always got in the way before. I like the short workouts and love how she works both UB and LB together. Using a weighted vest to boost the LB load works great when the UB weight work is too light to challenge your LB.

You have to do Burn 2--you'll love the bowler lunges! I really enjoy the cardio & circuit workouts included. The ones on the bonus disk are terrific too. :) I just did Get Lean Intervals this morning, in fact.

Thanks guys!

I really need a workout that is at least an hour long.

I think I will just order the turbo jam with the gloves...hey, I can use them for my extra weight for Cathe's STS too!!!

I appreciate your feedback!

It is not anything like a Cathe workout at all. AT ALL! I have it, did it for the first month, was dreading my workouts, so stopped. It is a unique program, but it isn't for me. For more detailed explanation as to why: http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/blog.php?b=945

What Kathryn said and I find I'm actually lifting heavier than I ever have in a lot of my Cathe workouts b/c I'm not doing so many reps on one body part at a time. By the way, the cardio in CLX is not dancy at all...very athletic.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.