Celiac disease: Can you eat oats?

lina9496

Cathlete
I can't find accurate information as to whether or not oats, oatmeal and oatbran are gluten free.

My understanding is that oats are naturally gluten free, but can be contaminated with wheat products. If this is so, some sites state that some celiacs can eat oat products.

Does anyone have accurate information?

Luckily I don't have Celiac, but my cousin does and eats certified gluten free oats and is fine with that...

Luckily I don't have Celiac, but my cousin does and eats certified gluten free oats and is fine with that...

Yes, only eat certified gluten free oats. Bob's Red Mill has some and also what they call "Tasty Hot Cereal" that is gluten free. I will occasionally eat McCann's Irish oats but not all celiacs can.

Here is what McCann's says..

Are McCann's Oat products gluten free?
In the supply chain between farm and mill, there is a possible cross contamination with other grains, such as wheat and barley but we reckon that the level of non-oat grains to be less than 0.05%. Cleaning equipment within the milling process would remove the vast majority of these grains along with other elements such as stones, straw etc.

But we cannot guarantee that McCann's oats are totally gluten free and we recommend that consumers use their own judgement as to whether they wish to use our oatmeal or not. Many celiacs can tolerate our oatmeal products without any adverse effect but they may not suit those who are particularly sensitive.

HTH

Hey
I have celiac and can eat oats but they must be gluten free oats. Cream Hill Estates is one and I also get McCann's as well. McCann's is easier to find and cheaper but I have not found rolled outs like the Cream Hill Estates ones.

If you look at the Celiac Association websites they have recently amended them to say that a certain amount of oats is okay a day. I make oat flour from regular oats by just grinding them up in a my Bullet... this is much cheaper and oat flour tends to help GF flours stay together better.

Good luck!
Heather

You know what's funny? Until very recently, I thought oats were kinda like turnips. I had no idea they were grains. Of course, I also thought corn was a vegetable. And this is from someone who knows quite a bit about nutrition!

The problem with conventional oats is they tend to be rotated in fields with wheat, barley and rye. So if last season they grew wheat, and this season oats, chances are there will be some stray wheat in with the oats. Plus, oats tend to be stored and processed in facilities that also handle wheat. If you are celiac, you can only handle the minutest particles of gluten. That's the reason you have to pay extra for certified gluten-free oats. Lucky you!

You know what's funny? Until very recently, I thought oats were kinda like turnips. I had no idea they were grains. Of course, I also thought corn was a vegetable. And this is from someone who knows quite a bit about nutrition!

Wow, I learned something new today about corn. Never would have guessed its a grain which can also be considered a fruit. Talk about confusing:rolleyes:

Well, I was confused too. I googled it and something to do with it being a seed with a flower. I don't remember specifically. I figure I'll just consider it a veggie anyhow:confused:

Corn is not a vegetable but don't try to ask it any intelligent questions, even if it is all ears.
:p

I thought corn was both a vegetable and a grain depending on how it is prepared. So if dried - like in cornmeal, it's a grain. Or as in popcorn, it's a grain.

But if eaten fresh, it's considered a vegetable.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.