Cathe's weighted gloved - 1 lb. or 2 lb.?

Kathy G

Cathlete
Does anyone have both the 1 lb. and 2 lb. Cathe weighted gloves? The one lb. has an open palm and the 2 lb. has the closed palm. How comfortable is the closed palm and is it easy to change out the weighted packs in both?

I want one to order one pair (and some regular weight gloves) with the free shipping coupon that I got in an email today.

Thanks for any input. :)

Kathy G

I have the one pound and I wear them over the Cathe weight lifting gloves. They are plenty roomy to do that. I don't know if I would like having two pounds on my hands. Your gripping flexibility is slightly reduced with the weighted bags on the back of your hands, and I would think that would be further reduced when doubling the weight. I have plate mates for increasing the lifting weight further. I also don't think I would like the actual weight of two pounds on my hands. I would go with the ones.

I have both, and use both depending on what I'm doing. They're both comfortable, but definitely have a different feel -- the two pounders with closed palm feel much more "form-fitting" (some would say tight!) and they are much slower to remove. For me, the fingers aways get turned inside out on removal, so it's not something you're going to want to have for quick changes (for STS add-on, for instance). There's no way I could get either pair on over another pair of gloves (perhaps I bought them too small, but I'm not sure I would want them loose and have the weight flopping, you know?). There was another thread about this a while back, if you feel like searching for it....

I have the 2 pounders and they are snug, so if you want a looser feel, order a larger size. I ordered small. I have learned to make quick changes during STS with these and I like them because I can vary the weights more than with the 1 lb. gloves. They do stick when you really start to sweat I usually will pull at the fingers a bit before dragging them off of my hands and that seems to keep the fingers from turning inside out.

Again, though, I agree that it depends on what you want to do and how much of a variation you need in micro weights.

I just recently got the 2lb weights after having 1lb weights for years (altus has sold them for at least 10 years). I use them strictly for kickboxing & step aerobics....but the 1lb has gotten too easy over time.

I like the 2lb weights ALOT. At first I thought they were WAY too small/tight. I even contact SMN to see if I could exchange for larger size. I decided to go ahead & see if they stretch with time. With my workout they were comfy...although difficult to remove.

I plan to use the 2lb gloves from now on.

Hope that helps!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.