Cathe's article on cortisol...anyone else with elevated levels?

ChelePA

Cathlete
Diagnosed with hypothyroidism almost 2 years ago. Just now starting to get my levels to normal...finally found a good doctor to work with. I use the saliva test to check my cortisol levels...well they have been elevated this past year. Reading Cathe's article made me realize that my exercise routine is probably not helping. I really enjoy cardio workouts mixed with metabolic and circuit training. I exercise on average 60 minutes per day. I wonder if I need to cut back at this point and see if that helps my levels. I am on a few supplements to try and reduce my cortisol. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the test you talked about. I have hypothyroid as well, and also taking anticancer med for the next 1.5 years, so I'd be interested in your experience and the test you talked about. Is it something you have to take in a doc's office?
Thanks,
Maggie

I don't bother to check mine because I'm in the "I'm screwed boat" since I take hydrocortisone steroids. I've been on them for 13 yrs and for the rest of my life. I even have the lovely "buffalo hump" and that's why I have a hard time using my barbell for lower body work. Hope your new doctor works out for you. I took me 4 dr's to finally find one I like and understood my needs.

You actually don't need a doctor's order for the test. Adrenals and thyroid problems sometimes go together. If cortisol is high, it's hard for the body to absorb thyroid medications plus all the other negative effects of Cortisol....insomnia is my big one...sleeping less than seven hours nightly. ZRT labs is the facility we use. You can order it online. It takes four saliva samples to get 24 hour picture of what's going on with levels. Hoping my levels have dropped.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.