Cathe: question about oatmeal

pjdavis

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

Hoping you can clarify this for me. Oatmeat is a staple food in every clean eating plan, but it's always specified as long cooking, not instant. Is it really that detrimental to my diet to substitute instant oatmeal? I travel alot and so I often bring instant oatmeal w/me, so that I don't have to eat airport food. Now I'm wondering if that's not a good substitute.
Thanks!

Pam

If you can find plain instant oatmeal, it will work for travelling purposes. The reason instant isn't usually on the list is because of the processing it goes through to make it "instant." Additionally, any flavored oatmeal is full of sugar, which throws things out of whack. Even still, the cleanest of eaters isn't perfect 100% of the time, so if you have the flavored oatmeal occassionally instead of a doughnut or some other airport junk, you're still doing fine.

I believe that slow-cook oatmeal has a low glycemic index, while instant has a high glycemic index. That means that the instant raises your blood sugar quickly, while the slow-cook raises it slower.

It's possible to find instant oatmeal with less sugar, but be sure to check out the nutritional information. I bought a box of nice, healthy organic instant oatmeal and was shocked when I noticed that it had more grams of sugar than the regular Quaker brand!

I've been using the Lower Sugar variety of Quaker instant lately. Quaker also makes a Weight Control version, which has about 1 gram of sugar, but it has a peculiar aftertaste.

Hope this helped a bit.

Instant oats better than alternative...

Yeah I agree with NY25, instant plain oatmeal is better than many alternatives that are fast and easy. Add a spoonful of almond butter for some protein and healthy fats, or for a really great and fast recipe for breakfast try this:
Take a small can of all natural chunk chicken and pour it in a bowl of instant plain oatmeal. Add a little low-sodium chicken broth and heat in micro until oatmeal is cooked. It tastes like a chicken casserole!! You can even add frozen veggies while cooking for a taste like Chicken pot pie. Protein, veggies and complex carbs all in one fast and easy meal!
One other thing is Cinnamon Roll Oatmeal: Take instant plain oats and add 1/4 cup of low fat cottage cheese and a little bit of water. Heat in micro and cottage cheese melts, then when cooking is done add cinnamon and a little sweetener of choice,( I like Stevia). And voila! It tastes just like a cinnamon roll!

Yeah I agree with NY25, instant plain oatmeal is better than many alternatives that are fast and easy. Add a spoonful of almond butter for some protein and healthy fats, or for a really great and fast recipe for breakfast try this:
Take a small can of all natural chunk chicken and pour it in a bowl of instant plain oatmeal. Add a little low-sodium chicken broth and heat in micro until oatmeal is cooked. It tastes like a chicken casserole!! You can even add frozen veggies while cooking for a taste like Chicken pot pie. Protein, veggies and complex carbs all in one fast and easy meal!
One other thing is Cinnamon Roll Oatmeal: Take instant plain oats and add 1/4 cup of low fat cottage cheese and a little bit of water. Heat in micro and cottage cheese melts, then when cooking is done add cinnamon and a little sweetener of choice,( I like Stevia). And voila! It tastes just like a cinnamon roll!

I'm an oatmeal fanatic! I've add a LOT of things to oatmeal, but never chicken , veggies or cottage cheese! I love these ideas and am going to defiinitely try them. THANKS!!!:)

Raw oatmeal

I have always eaten my oats raw with rice milk. I sometimes add flaxseed, cinnamon or nutmeg. Does anyone see any reason why it has to be cooked? I use quaker old fashioned oats.

McCann's now makes a quicker-cooking steel-cut oats now. The "good stuff" that norally takes 20-30 minutes to cook, now takes about 5 minutes cooking (if you're travellling, you could soak it in hot water for a longer time and get similar results).

So much better than that slimey instant stuff, IMO.

I have always eaten my oats raw with rice milk. I sometimes add flaxseed, cinnamon or nutmeg. Does anyone see any reason why it has to be cooked? I use quaker old fashioned oats.
There's actually something called "Muesli" made with uncooked oats (well, rolled oats ARE cooked: they are steamed before rolling, so they aren't really raw to begin with), chopped dried and fresh fruit. Sounds like what you're making.

If you use the cracked oats or steel-cut oats, then you'd have to cook them, or at least soak them in hot water to soften.

Last edited:
There's actually something called "Meusli" made with uncooked oats (well, rolled oats ARE cooked: they are steamed before rolling, so they aren't really raw to begin with), chopped dried and fresh fruit. Sounds like what you're making.QUOTE]

This is exactly what I have for breakfast -- I normally buy muesli at IKEA ("Good For You" brand). I have 1/3 cup of muesli, add some dried fruits (to make it sweeter) and 1 cup of plain lowfat kefir (I love kefir) to it. Let it stand for 5 min and you have fast and exceptionally healthy breakfast.

There's actually something called "Meusli" made with uncooked oats (well, rolled oats ARE cooked: they are steamed before rolling, so they aren't really raw to begin with), chopped dried and fresh fruit. Sounds like what you're making.

If you use the cracked oats or steel-cut oats, then you'd have to cook them, or at least soak them in hot water to soften.

The manager, Bevin, starts to abuse me
Hey, man, I just want some meusli.

I'm hoping there's at least one FotC fan on this board...

chicken and vegetables in oatmeal sounds interesting...i will have to try that one, sounds like it could be a nice quick lunch.

Raw oats...

I eat raw oats too, and as far as I've researched there is nothing wrong with eating raw oats...(although, yes they aren't actually raw-raw, they are still somewhat cooked)....I like to just toss 1/2 cup of raw oats in with some plain yogurt from time to time, and for added sweetness add your favorite sweetener, or some vanilla protein powder...Arbonne makes an awesome one that is made from Pea Protein and it's STELLAR in plain yogurt mixed with raw oats!

I add 3/4 cup of quaker oats to my smoothie every morning. I grind it up into a powder along with some vitamins that are too big for me to swollow and then add 1 1/2 froz berries, 1 tbl udo's choice oil, wheybolic extreme protein powder, water and ice. Yummy!! I make it right after I work out and it is pretty well balanced.

Instant oatmeal has three main disadvantages...one, noted by several posters already, is that it typically has excessive sugar added. Another, which was partly mentioned, is the glycemic index (GI)...it is higher compared to other forms of oatmeal, BECAUSE it is chopped up into tiny little pieces that will heat and hydrate very quickly. This factor improves as the pieces get larger...regular rolled oats, thick (or "hearty")-rolled oats, steel-cut oats, etc. Your body can digest and process those tiny pieces much more quickly than the large ones (hence the high GI and spike in blood sugar, helped along by the added sugar)...it is better, if possible to go with the largest form you have time for (yes, they progressively take longer to cook).

However, the regular rolled oats, cooked in a microwave with water (or milk, or juice), really don't take any longer than heating water for the instant oatmeal (just a few minutes). For travel, you could make some snack-size Ziplocs filled with 1 serving (~40g, or whatever you like) rolled oats (regular, not quick-cooking), with dried fruit and/or a SMALL amount of sugar or brown sugar JUST enough to make it palatable for you (you may not need additional sugar if you use dried fruit). You can use dried cranberries, chopped dried apricots, raisins...You could also add dry spices like cinnamon. If you have access to milk or orange juice where you are traveling, you could make the oatmeal with that (or half each) instead of water, again negating the need for added sugar. You can even take the thick-cut oatmeal and do this, if you can wait 8-10 minutes for the microwave to do its thing on a lower power setting (30-50%), taking care to use a container big enough to handle "bubbling up". If all you have access to is non-microwave hot water though (like something from a coffee machine), you'll have to stick with instant. You could try to make your own by chopping up rolled oats in a food processor and adding flavorings as above.

Finally, the commercial, processed instant oatmeals usually have some added chemicals to "preserve" or "enhance" or artificially flavor. Your own travel packages can avoid this.

Note: you can also take (in a separate bag) chopped or sliced toasted nuts to put on top after you cook the oatmeal, so even if you have to settle for the "slimier" instant (small-piece) style, you can still have something crunchy and more substantial to bite into (plus it adds lots of great nutrition).

I like to make what I've started to call "loaded oatmeal": oatmeal (steel cut) loaded with chopped nuts (walnuts for omega fatty acids, almonds for vitamin E, Brazil nuts for selenium) and dried fruit (I like dried blueberries or goji berries. I'll sometimes use chopped Medjool dates instead of adding any sweetener). For sweetener, I add agave nectar or sometimes maple syrup.

Ok, I am a little confused about this plain instant oatmeal...is it available unsweetened and you do the cottage cheese thing to it? You don't add any water??

I am a little inept, can you please elaborate??

Thanks!!!
xoxo,Denise

So what's the story with Quaker Old Fashioned Oats? Are they good? I have been eating them thinking they are great. Are they rolled? Help!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.