Cathe, please, change your music!

icklemoley

Cathlete
Don't get me wrong, Cathe rocks! But i'm finding the music she uses in most of her videos unpleasant. I was just wondering why she can't use music with the real artist? I recently did the Body Pump video and loved the music, espeically compared to Power Hour! Just wondering if anyone else had any thoughts on her choice on music? Thanks
:)

I think it's probably a copyright thing with the original artists. The fees associated with the original artists are also probably astronomical.
As for my thoughts on the music, I would say my favorite is the old school music in Pure Strength.
Dawn
former disco diva:)

I happen to love the music Cathe uses in her videos. Yes, the older tapes are a little funky but the Intensity Series ROCKS!

At least with this new series of DVDs, she is going to program them so that you have the option of turning the music off. You won't have to use it if you don't like it.

Seldom can music performed by the original artist be used in group fitness classes or videos, because the beats per minute must be controlled and consistent, the rhythm must be consistent, and the phrasing must be in an even 32-count format because of the choreographed nature of the workout. Most original artists vary all of these components to make for an interesting musical experience; the song is the thing. There are numerous aerobics music companies that produce songs from sound-alike artists so that you feel more like you're working out to the original song; however they are produced for even rhythm, bpm and phrasing - the workout's the thing.

I like Cathe's music, myself. I trust her judgment on the music for the upcoming series as well.

A-jock

RE: Cathe, please DON'T change your music!

I guess it just goes to show that everyone has different preferences and Cathe could never please everyone, no matter how hard she tried.

I happen to LOVE the music from Power Hour - in fact its one of my favorites to do weights to.

I do remember hearing that one of the possibilities for this next set of workouts on DVD is that they are going to make an option for no music, so that people could use the tape and listen to their own music if they wanted. Maybe that will meet your needs?

RE: Cathe, please DON'T change your music!

I like the music in all her videos, but I LOVE the musci from the Intensity Series!!!

The only music I like is on the Slow & Heavy series as well as Power Hour as well as this new series. IMAX 2 was great music but too loud. I couldn't hear her cues very well & would miss it. Just my opinion don't anybody shoot me! Kathy

I generally like Cathe's music, except for Pure Strength (which was rather boring) and some of the vocal music in the Intensity series (Buttercup? yuk!). My favorite music is probably Slow and Heavy (the final bench press tune has just the right "je ne sais quoi" to make me want to lift heavy) and Caridio Kicks.

I actually prefer workouts that use original music with a strong beat. When familiar tunes are used, one problem can be that they are TOO familiar. I mean, how many times a day does a top 40 tune play on the radio? If you like it, it's not a problem. If you don't, you never want to hear it again.

Kathy,
I'm not shooting you...tee hee. I personally love the music being loud as once you learn the workout you know what comes next. The loud music really motivates me when I'm working out expecially during Imax 2! It's not so loud that I can't hear Cathe's cues though. I have so much fun working out to the Intensity Series and I enjoy the music, but I don't mind the music in her older workouts such as Imax. It's different. I own Cathe's Cardio hits DVD and I wish the music was louder on that one especially for Power Max. It sounds like the new workout series will have even more options than the Intensity series! Ya hoo! :7

I, personally, have loved all of Cathe's music. There has never been a time I thought about not liking any song she has used. Funny how we all are sooo different. I agree, if you go back to the older tapes, the music might seem dated, but music does change year-to-year. I love Power Hour's music a lot and all the "I" Series too. Kathryn, I LOVE Buttercup and Pina Colada. Poor Cathe, it must be a real challenge for her trying to please us all. Can't wait to see what she uses for the "B" Series!!!! http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/party/dance.gif
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein_1/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

I've always liked Cathe's pick in music. I can't think of one video she's done that I didn't like it! I also like that none of the music is annoying so I focus on what I'm doing and the exercisers and not the music.

I really enjoyed a lot of the "world beat" in the CTX series.

Buttercup - yuck - I agree, but "Somebody's Watching Me" makes me want to wretch. I hated it in the 80s and I still hate it - LOL! Luckily I only have to listen to it for a few minutes.

Susan G.

I love the variety that Cathe has collected with every group of videos. I just love the variation on the theme in Slow and Heavy at the 3rd set of pullovers. It gives me goosebumps (I'm working hard and concentrating too).

I have to say I did IMax 2 this morning and I noticed and really loved the volume mix of music with Cathe's voice. It was just perfect I thought. Loud enough, but not too loud, music. I want to turn it up for the music sometimes, but I don't want to blast Cathe's voice too. In this, I was able to really hear all the music without blasting it (too much! LOL)

I'm very fond of the CTX music. In fact, it's my favorite music of all! :7 The IS music is okay -- I can't really complain. As long as Cathe kicks my hiney, it's all good. :p

Hollie

:D I think buttercup is a lot of fun and keeps me going throughout the workout. I love Cathe's choice of classic oldies such as: escape, buttercup, rock the casbah etc. Also, the music from the Intensity Series in my opinion can not be beat! It is fabulous! Keep up the great work!:)

Please do not change your music. I have liked all of it and especially like the latest Intensity Series music even the Buttercup song which is the first song for which I have ever specifically choreographed a step routine.
Thanks
Sheila

That is one of the things I have really enjoyed with Cathe's videos. If it weren't for the Pina Colada song on the 9th interval of I Max2 I would have been more likely to quit. I also love the kind of reggae song in Interval Max.
Diane Sue

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.