Cathe & P90X: Cathe is pretty X-treme too!!!

Maria777

Cathlete
I don't know you all, but I've been watching my husband doing P90X and I compared them to Cathe's and she is pretty X-treme too!!!!

She should be called Cathe-Xtreme!!!!

The cardio is definetely more intense on Cathe's is so is the kickbox. Even my husband said so and he has done Cathe's workouts too.

The weights look tough on P90X but they are lifiting the weights with a different approach it looks like to get it to a more extreme level.

But I have to say that Cathe is pretty tought as well...

What do you all think?

Maria

I'm not sure you can compare the two. P90X is meant to be used as a complete system. Sure, you can use the workouts individually, but in order to get the results, you need to do the whole program.

Cathe is extreme too, but in a different way. Muscle endurance-wise, even after finishing P90X, I found that because of rep speed and the way her workouts are set up, they were still tough, even though I managed to lift much heavier and do more push-ups and pull-ups with the X than I ever thought possible.

P90X uses a muscle confusion approach, which means that you don't do one body part to exhaustion.

I love Cathe and couldn't EVER stop using her workouts, but I saw my best results ever using P90X. In fact, I'm doing a modified rotation now, and I can already see that I'm leaning out.

Thank you for the reply.

I didn't mean to compare the two workouts in a similar type category, but wanted to compared them in an intensity and extreme type category.

I know that they are very different in their approaches.

Just wanted to point out that Cathe can be just as extreme in the way she works out too.

I may give them a try but not right now. I will probably wait till my husband finishes his rotation and then I could probably start mine.

Not sure yet though.

Hi Shelley, hopefully you will see this (and sorry to original poster for hijacking the thread with this question). I am seriously considering purchasing P90X but shipping to Australia is horrendous (sp?). I can probably (hopefully) get it here for around $US120 which is $AU142.00. I know you have seen great results with this program, just wondering if you can tell me whether you have followed the nutrition plan closely or at all and whether I could get similar results following Cathe's slow and heavy in the same format as P90X is set up. Mind you I haven't got a clue what I would do for Core Synergistics. Sorry about all the questions, but it is a lot of money to spend if I can get similar results by eating clean and following Cathe.

ETA: That although I get a more intense workout cardio wise than I was when I was going to the gym I just can't seem to get as lean as when I was going to the gym and thought that P90X might be like going to the gym. I probably just need to keep food from going into my mouth so often.

Thanks Kim:)

i got better results in core and upper body with p90x than cathe. i lost inches in my waist and can do ALOT more pushups. coresynergistics is an excellent workout and yogax is awesome too for working the core.i use cathe for aerobics and legs mostly.

laura

Kim - I think P90X is worth whatever you have to pay for it. And just so you know, I followed the "plethora of crap" nutrition plan and still got amazing results. This time I'm trying to eat better and I've noticed results in two weeks. There isn't much cardio at all in the X, but somehow it works. You could try doing an X-like rotation with Slow and Heavy, but I'm not sure it would work out the same just because of the way the workouts are set up. As I mentioned above, Cathe tends to work one muscle to exhaustion, whereas with the P90X workouts, you are constantly switching. For instance, on Shoulders and Arms, you do a shoulder exercise, a bicep exercise, then a tricep exercise, then repeat.

I would think P90X would be more like going to the gym.

And you're right... there is no replacement for Core Synergistics.

Anyway, sorry to be so long-winded, but if you can scrape together the money, I think you'll find it's a great investment.

I just watched the infomercial for P90X recently and after reading so much about it on this forum, I definitely intend on doing it. I have a few more Cathe routines that I want to do and then I will get it for Christmas and start it then. My only problem is installing the pull up bar. I have already pretty much turned my Dad's work/music room into a fitness room (which he doesn't mind). But I think installing something like that would really bother him, even if he said yes.

Cathe's cardio certainly is more "Extreme" than P90X's, but P90X's weight work is more effective and efficient,IMO.

The cardio in P90X isn't meant to be extreme, as too much cardio eats into the recovery needed for best muscle/strength gains (and Tony knows how to work recovery and periodization into his system).

"We interrupt this thread for an important announcement":

There are 5 new P90X-like workouts (called "P90X plus" or "P90X+") due out around December: a more intense Kenpo, a more advanced plyo workout, a 20-minute Ab Ripper follow-up, a full-body weight workout, and another weight workout.

Two clips are up on Youtube.(there's a thread on VF about it, with links to the clips).

:7

I agree that they are both extreme workouts. I'm on my 2nd round of P90X now and I have to say I'm getting much better results than the 1st round. I'm loving it too. Tony is a very different instructor w/ a different workout plan than Cathe. I love them both though! I would highly recommend anyone looking for a change or hitting a plateau to try P90X.

And Shelley, ITA w/ leaning out more after watching the eating closer. I'm almost to day 30 and I'm noticing a big change in my waistline this round!! ;-) I'm ready to bring it w/ round 2 starting tomorrow!!

>
>I love Cathe and couldn't EVER stop using her workouts, but I
>saw my best results ever using P90X. In fact, I'm doing a
>modified rotation now, and I can already see that I'm leaning
>out.
>

Hey Shelley!! I was wondering if you could share the modified rotation that you are currently doing? Inquiring minds would love to know!!

Thank you!

I would like to try P90 but I dont know if I can do it. I consider myself an advanced beginner (if you know what I mean). I mean if just started doing more advanced Cathe workouts and cardio(about six weeks now)I even order the new 4 day splits and I'm afraid I bit off more than I can chew.

Anyway I'd like to try P90 because so many on these boards have said they've gotten results quickly with the system. My question is the chin up bar essential to the system? I dont have a tower and I'm not crazy about screwing a bar in any of my doorways.

Thanks for the feed back

Carmen

Just so you know, P90 & P90X are totally different systems. Power 90 is a more *beginner* system.

Yes, you do need a chinup bar or you can substitute the bands. My dh made me a chinup bar in the garage so I get a little extra cardio running up the stairs out to the garage for the workouts, but that's ok. :) There are also bars that just fit over the doorways, you don't have to screw them in place.

If you can do pushups & are used to lifting weights then I think you could handle P90X. HTH! Like someone mentioned, the cardio is not as intense as Cathe's, but it's for a different purpose. I am doing doubles which means extra cardio as I am a runner. It's working great for me!

Rose: basically I'm doing all the P90X weight workouts and subbing the cardio with running and some kickboxing. I'm training for two races - a 5K (okay, I'm not REALLY training for the 5K:p) and a half-marathon

It looks like this:

M - P90X weights and Ab Ripper X
T - run
W - P90X weights and Ab Ripper X
T - run
F - P90X weights and Ab Ripper X
S - long run
S - rest or light run or KB (depends how I'm feeling)

I've also cleaned up my eating this round and it's showing.

Shelley, that is very similar to my plan this round too!!

M - P90X weights + ARX
T - 4-5 mile run + at least 200 lunges
W - P90X weights + ARX
Th - 5 mile run + at least 200 lunges, YogaX
F - P90X weights + ARX
S - Cathe kickbox (KPC or KM) or 5-6 run (subbing for Kenpo)
S - Rest

I'm not training for a half again yet, but I will be for next spring!

My husband has been dying for me to try P90X. Like I said at the beginning of the post, he is already into the 2nd month of the P90X and he is seeing results already.

The only thing that I don't think I can do is eat all the egg whites I have to eat in the morning, ARG!

I have a pretty clean diet and just need to do slight modifications to match the P90X diet.

But all those egg whites in the morning, YIKES!!!

Any suggestions?

PS: I probably will try P90X after my husband is done. I don't think we can afford to purchase all the protein required for the both of us...:D :D

For Kathryn and other vegans!

I have been trying to eat more of a vegetarian diet with slight vegan influences lately....:)
The above posts mention eating egg whites and extra protein but I am trying not to eat eggs. Would anyone (Kathryn:)) have recommendations on substitutions?

Allison

I don't do all of the egg whites for breakfast. I do like egg whites, but that's not your only option! I was eating pretty clean before too, but I've been really careful this round.

My usual breakfast is oatmeal. 1/2 c. old fashioned oatmeal cooked & then I add 1 T. wheat germ, 1 T. flax, 1 T. Naturally More PB, and then 1/2 c. cottage cheese. Sometimes I'll add protein powder to it also if I need more. It's worked great for me. I find that I have to have some good carb to get my day started so just eating an omelet doesn't cut it!

Good luck if you do P90x!!

Yep, I happened to look at his meal portion plan and he has some ideas there to alternate on the days... omelet one day and then on the next something else.

I like oatmeal too, so I can have that and then think of something else for the protein alternative.

Thanks.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.