Cathe on Discovery Health Channel

Amy2

I have been doing 30 minute segments of pure stength and interval max (it alternates day to day)that is broadcast on Discovery Health Channel. I was wondering what I could do to keep my heart rate going during the commercials. I am very new to Cathe's workouts, so I am not familiar enough with the routines to remember the steps during the breaks. This may be a stupid question, but I have just started exercising(trying to loose that extra skin from having my second baby boy this past summer)and need the advice.

Also, I was curious as to what the VF Road Trip is. Thanks to anyone who can help!

Hi Amy!

Nice to have you with us. I'm so happy that you are exercising with our Discovery fitness program. I'm also very happy that you have made a commitement to get fit. First I must say congratulations on your baby boy. I just had one two months ago myself.

The best advice I can give you to get in shape, is to start out slow. 30 minutes a day is a great start. As for doing Intervalmax and the pure strength workouts on the Discovery show, try to keep your weight workouts somewhat on the lighter side for a couple of weeks to get used to working with weights. For the Intervalmax days, well, thats a tough workout. I would encourage you to keep the highest intensity portions of those intervals at a moderate pace. Work up to this intensity gradually so you don't risk getting an injury. On days where you want to do something a little different, try going for 30 minute brisk walks(no stopping). Eventually you may even want to mix some light jogging in with those walks. Alternate your walk days with weight training too.

What to do during the shows commercials to keep your heart rate up: You can pick one of your favorite moves during the moderate portion of the intervals and do it until the show comes back on. Or you can try to do a few of these moves:

1) step hop corner to corner. I may refer to it as basketball corner to corner.

2) T or L step

3) run run which looks like a high impact basic step.

4) Any kind of lunges but insert some basic steps if you get too tired.

5) jumping jacks if they don't bother you (don't do if you are on a poor floor surface)

6) jumping across the top of the step in any direction

7) up jack/down jack--- you step up and do a jack on the step. Then you step down and do a jack on the floor.

WHATS THE VF ROADTRIP......This roadtrip was created by a bunch of super friendly fitness enthusiasts of all fitness levels who actively participate on the website: www.videofitness.com. This website, created by Wendy Niemi Kremer, is loaded with information for those who have a common interest in fitness. It contains a forum very similar to this one in which you can ask one another anything you need to know concerning mostly fitness related issues. The videofitness forum developed such special relationships that the posters all decided to start organizing trips to see some of their favorite fitness instructors and workout with them for a weekend. These trips are referred to as the VF Roadtrips. We participate in these roadtrips quite often but is actually the VF'ers that are responsible for putting them together. I suggest visiting www.videofitness.com and asking them about the VF roadtrip on their discussion forum. I'm sure they will gladly fill you in with all of the details. We have a link to their forum right from our site. ALSO, if any VF'ers are reading this right now, please feel free to chime in with the details right here.

Have Fun!

Great suggestions!

Hi Cathe
Thank you so much for answering my question. You gave me some good ideas for comercial breaks and great advice for starting my excercise program.

I was not expecting a personal response from you. It is very impressive that you actually take the time to respond to several of these posts. Thanks for the inspriation. Congratulations to you too on your new baby!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.