Cardio or weights? What's the best for getting lean?

JuliaBelle

Cathlete
I know you need both, and I've been trying to up my cardio with the goal of lowering my BF% and hopefully shrink the stubborn belly fat. But I read on another forum that heavy lifting is the way to go for lowering body fat.

Now I'm totally confused. I've always thought that to get rid of fat you have to do cardio. I know there's no such thing as spot reducing. Cathe (I should be so luck to get a response from you) or anyone - Opinions?

I think that there is no solid answer here. I think having the elements of strength,c ardio and balance are all valuable because of the different benefits working together giving that complete picture, but for each of us, we have to find that mix that makes us happy and gives us the results we want. And of course, this changes... you might do endurance type stuff for 6 wks and then, after taking a little break (a week?) you might want to lift heavy. Do all cardio for a while, or Do All strength.

I lost body fat by going on weight watchers. I augmented that by doing whatever workout I felt like doing that day. Often it was a Cathe workout - usually strength, because I really enjoy that.

I do think CArdio is important for me, specifically, and so I try to get in 3 days a week if possible, but sometimes I just go where the urge takes me, because if i'm enjoying what i'm doing, then i'll keep doing it.

Leela - I think you're right. Your approach makes a lot of sense. I'm not trying to be a bodybuilder or anything, just have the best body a 44 year-old peri-menopausal mother of three can have:p There seems to be a cult of heavy weight-lifting only believers, but these all or nothing theories cannot be the best thing for long-term fitness.

RE: Cardio or weights? What's the best for getting lea...

I'm concerned about the same thing. I've been reading alot about it and the conclusion I have come to is to burn it off you need both components you mentioned AND add some running to those.

I did this a coupla months ago with a 45 min treadmill interval workout 3x's a week and I could see the difference almost immediately (and so could others--enough to comment on). I got sick and had to stop for a while but I'm starting back at the beginning of the year.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.