Cardio Kickboxing

pam

Has anyone tried cardio kickboxing? I do step all the time, I love it, but I heard that Cardio Kickboxing is a great way to tone the whole body. Does anyone have any experience with it?

re/ cardio kickboxing

Hi Pam,

I signed up for a local cardio kickboxing class at the first of November. The class lasts about an hour and is broken down like this: 10 minute warm-up, 30 minutes of cardio, 15 minutes of conditioning , and 5 minutes cooldown. The warm up is fairly active. The cardio section consists of steps and kicks and different punches. It is fairly low impact, which I like to alternate with Cathe's step tapes! The conditioning is: leg lifts, push ups, and ab work.

I really like the cardio section of the workout. You pretend to punch a punching bag, do a "bob and weave" move, pretend to jump rope a little bit, and do lots of different combinations of kicks. It's fun because I don't have to concentrate too much on learning the moves, just practice on getting them perfected.

If this sounds like something you're interested in, the gym I went to gave a free session to you to see if you'd like it.

Beth

Pam,
I have about a dozen Kickboxing-style tapes, and have taken a Cardio Kickboxing class as well. I found that it has several benefits:
1) great lower body workout (my thighs are slimming up like they never have before); 2)great upper body toning (you won't get big muscles from punching, but it does help tone and shape the muscle you have. I think that an excellent combo is to do heavy upper body weights one day, then do a kickboxing routine the next day, to work the same muscles in a different way); 3)it makes me feel strong and powerful, and capable of defending myself (if you take a class or get a video that uses self defense type moves rather than dancy, choreographed, powerless kicks and punches); 4) it is said to burn more than 800 calories an hour (I don't know about that, but it is what helped me lose the final 4 pounds of the 10 I gained in my first two years of a new job. I had gotten back ALMOST to my previous weight, but those last 4 pounds--not muscle,mind you :)-- were SOOOO stubborn! Now that I can only find time for 3--MAYBE 4--workouts a week, I try to make them as efficient as possible, and kickboxing definitely fits in the mix) 5) it's fun!
If you're looking for a good video, I'd highly recommend "Power Kicks"by Aaron Lankford.
E-mail me if you have any questions.
Kathryn

How is it on your knees?

I am almost ready to order PowerKicks as I am looking for a high-intensity, low-impact floor workout (to alternate with Cathe's step). My only concern is how rough it is on your knees - I think it should be OK - but would appreciate advice from a veteran kickboxer.
Thanks,
Judy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.