Cape Cod

sbigelow

Cathlete
Hello everyone,

We were thinking of taking a family vacation to Cape Cod this summer? Our children are ages 3 and 10. Anyone ever been there? If so, can you
recommend a good place to stay with kids and things to do with the kids. I am also doing a little research on the internet to see what I can find out

Thank you

Sarah,
My roommate in college was from the Cape, and I spent three summers there with her family. They live in Wellfleet, which is one of the best towns IMHO. As you go further down the cape, things do tend to get a little bit quieter, but there's still lots of action in the summer. Wellfleet has the best beaches, with beautiful sand dunes. If you get a beach parking pass (around $30 for the week), you have access to about 5 Wellfleet town beaches. There are also lots of ponds in the area with some nice beaches. Avoid the ponds after mid July though - the water can get stagnant (the locals always talk about increased numbers of ear infections, etc from going in the ponds mid-season). As far as other activities, there are tons of art galleries and little stores, and great restaurants. Provincetown is a 20 min drive away (longer on a rainy day because everyone heads there) which is an experience of its own. P'town has great restaurants as well. I would definitely recommend staying further down the cape versus in the Hyannis area and above. You can always drive up to Hyannis, but the lower cape has its own unique sense of personality. Hope this helps!

Rebecca

The cape is absolutely beautiful- Newport is a wonderful town which is very kid friendly (lots of walking around) but the summer gets VERY crowded. September (or May) would be a better time to go if you want to enjoy the atmosphere without all the people. There should be a website for each town which would give information that you need (hotels/bed & breakfasts/what to do/how to get around).

How I yearn for the Atlantic Ocean... I haven't been the cape since I was a kid and I live in California now, but we used to stay in Orleans. I remember this miniature golf course we'd go to and the memories of my brother cheating. I think it was pretty close to alot of other towns along the cape.

Beth

Sarah,
I just saw your post. I now live on the cape. The cape is great because you have everything. If you want to be near the mall and shopping as well as beaches go to the Hyannis/yarmoth area. If you want more of a quint feel, go to welfleet, eastham, chatam or orleans. If I can answer any other questions, let me know.

I second the Wellfleet rec. And yes P'town is quite the experience. If you oppose the gay lifestyle (I don't) and don't want your children exposed to it, then don't go to P'town bc same sexed couples are walking down the street holding hands, kissing, arm in arm (like all couples do). Dh and I went with the kids and had a great time. We don't believe in discrimination of any sort so it was not a problem. But some people may be uncomfortable in that enviornment.

If you want a "show" P'town on a Friday or Saturday night is so much fun. The drag queens come out to show off. We have seen some real freakish stuff & some beautiful men/women.

I absolutely love First Encounter beach. At low tide you can walk literally forever on the bay. It feels like you could walk to Boston.

I agree with Eastham or Orleans being a great place to stay. We've stayed at a place right on the circle in Orleans that was reasonable & has a pool for the kids.

On the weekend there is a flea market at the Welfleet drive-in. Oh & the drive-in is open during the summer. They usually have a double feature--one family & one not so family movie.

Enjoy!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.