Can't lose weight? Maybe you've got a food allergy

catwoman88

Cathlete
I recently found out I'm allergic to wheat and gluten, and it's been the best thing to happen to my fitness program!

I've struggled to lose weight for YEARS!! A couple of decades almost! Well, several months ago, someone mentioned gluten-intolerance and I did a little research. I found a list of symptoms and sure-enough, I had nearly all of them, including "difficulty losing weight".

I went gluten-free and started to melt. I lost about 8 pounds those first few weeks, and weight loss has been slow and steady ever since. I've lost over 3 inches off my hips, and an inch just about everywhere else. And my weight training seems to finally be working and I'm showing muscle growth and definition in my arms, shoulders, and back.

With a food allergy, your body could fall into a state of constant inflammation (which was my problem). Alleviating the problem food alleviates the inflammation and *POOF* you begin to disappear! Yes I had some withdrawal symptoms, but nothing too awful. celiac.com and many gluten-type websites offer information on what you can expect by dropping gluten from your diet.

It's taken some time finding "healthy" food options that don't contain gluten (coz gluten seems to be EVERYWHERE - even in items you wouldn't think contain wheat products, like cottage cheese and some deli meats, for example), but despite eating higher-fat or higher-sugar food items, I've still lost weight and not gained it back. I'm beginning to finally found the low-fat and low-sugar options that I can eat, so I'm hoping I'm about ready to enter the next phase of my weight-loss.

Just thought I'd share in case there are others out there who are beating their heads against the wall.

a lady at work followed a gluten free diet and lost 10pds. I am allergic to wheat,barley and soybean but have never restricted them from my diet,maybe that is why I struggle with the same 6-8lbs I lose and gain back every yr.

CONGRATULATIONS Marcia! ^5 I've been wondering how you made out. Are you teaching any classes yet?

My Mom was recently diagnosed with celiac disease and has lost 25lbs. since eliminating gluten from her diet. A few of her symptoms were bloating, lethargy, gas, and brain fog. There were others but I can't remember all of them. She feels and looks so much better.

A friend in fitness,
Shirl

Thanks, Shirl! I was so excited to find out I passed, they sent my cert last week and I have it in site all the time. :7 I haven't started any classes because I'm still working on the Turbo 101 to make sure I have it down good before starting classes. How long did it take you? Any hints on learning the rounds smoothly??

Marcia.

P.S. Sorry, to have hikejacked this thread. :eek:

Thanks, Shirl! I was so excited to find out I passed, they sent my cert last week and I have it in site all the time. :7 I haven't started any classes because I'm still working on the Turbo 101 to make sure I have it down good before starting classes. How long did it take you? Any hints on learning the rounds smoothly??

Marcia.

P.S. Sorry, to have hikejacked this thread. :eek:

I have this too and eliminated all gluten (and mostly dairy) from my diet for the past 1.5 years. I was able to lose 10 lb but I still carry and extra 25-30. What gives? I don't eat the substitutes either, just plain whole foods.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.