CAN YOU SUBSTITUTE DUMBBELLS FOR A BARBELL

js70

Cathlete
I was wondering if any of you have substitute dumbbells for a barbell? The barbell do really hurts my back, especially when I need to put on 20 lbs. or higher. I just don't feel comfortable with it. Can I use 2 10 lbs. weight instead? Does it make any difference for the purpose of the workout?
Thanks.

It's my opinion that as long as you are using good form and are strong enough to hold the dumbells, they can absolutely be used instead of a barbell. I didn't have a barbell for years and did just fine without it. I like the convenience of it for lower body workouts that require heavier weights, but otherwise, it's not essential for me.

I do it all the time, the gym at work only has dumbells. I think you're fine using dumbells instead of a bar.

I use dumbbells all the time in replacement of bb!! Sometimes my wrists just can't take bb, and db's work so much better for certain exercises for me. I love db, too, because you can add little "twists" at the end of some exercises that make your muscles burn so much more :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.