Can you please explain to me why some Women when weight training gain weight

dawnmh22

Cathlete
as for other women there weight stays the same or less. Does this depend on your bodytype? Meso,Ecto,Endo? TY!!!

If you gain muscle without losing fat, you will gain weight. If you replace equal amounts of fat with muscle, the scale will go up a bit as well (muscle is more dense than fat, so the same amount will weigh more).

Some people may not lose fat while gaining muscle because they are eating more (weight training can make you hungrier).

Also, it is harder for endomorphs to lose fat.

One reason for INITIAL weight gain (and size gain) when one is doing a more intense program or just starting out, is that the muscles can hold onto fluids as kind of a protective mechanism (the body interpreting the suddenly-more-intense activity as a threat). This fluid gain will go away after a while.

One reason for INITIAL weight gain (and size gain) when one is doing a more intense program or just starting out, is that the muscles can hold onto fluids as kind of a protective mechanism (the body interpreting the suddenly-more-intense activity as a threat). This fluid gain will go away after a while.

I deal with this and have to remind myself that it will go away. It's very hard because for me this fluid gain can last up to two weeks. I have started heavy weight programs and quit more times than I can remember because of this.

Thanks I'm trying to understand cause since over the 14 years of Running and

weight training Ive gained 10 pounds but still can fit into clothes when I was 10 pounds lighter (just a tiny bit snug). I use to be always 120 and now 132. I eat around 1500 Calories,workout 12 hours 6 days a week. I run weight train,eat clean. so whats going on???TY!!!!!I run alot around 30 miles a week doing long distance,HIIT,Treadmill Challengers Dvd,Trail Runs so I do make sure I'm switching it up the intensity. Is it possible i'm not eating enough?? or can it be possible I've gain muscle and water weight?

Last edited:
Although I don't know what your calories are comprised of, it sounds right off the bat as though you are not eating enough in general, calorie-wise...

Clarissa

That doesn't sound like enough

calories. Maybe add in some more protein. Are you getting about 130 grams of protein a day? That might be where you want to start. I know it seems like a lot, but try it anyway.

Right now I'm getting 100-120 grams of protein and did take bodyfat....

was around 18-20% so its pretty good but why the weight gain,wondering?

I just have a sec, but as a runner when I read you're doing about 30 miles/week and consuming 1500 calories per day that's not enough for a runner. Have you checked out Runners World mag. or their web site?

Why wouldn't you gain weight? I always gain weight when I'm weight training slow and heavy. My appetite increases and I eat more, and weight training doesn't use enough calories for me to burn off the excess. However, with lighter weights and faster reps, my appetite doesn't increase and I don't gain.

jcm I havent check Runners World website but Thats a good idea!! Also its funny....

I notice when I run I dont feel hungry Hmmmm..... Overtraining maybe? Now today I was lucky to get in 1500 Calories and I ran 7 miles(intervals) Its like most days I have to make myself to eat. About 5 years ago I had my daughter I was 140 after having her and I got down to 117 in about 3-4 months. Over the years I gradually went up,Until about 3 months ago I went up 4 pounds from switching a new Birth Control pill. I also notice in the past and now the more long distance I run the more I lean out. Ive been told also eat more,eat more.... and maybe then I might lose more weight. I thought if I'm not hungry add more protein shakes??? or liquids with Calories. Thanks for all your help!!!!

For your mileage that just isn't enough calories. I get Runners World and love it. I love that the focus is health vs. appearance. And scales suck. To me it's always better to go by how your clothes fit and how you KNOW you look. Right now I'm carrying an extra 10 and it's just so obvious by how I feel and my clothes (don't!) fit. I did protein drinks for a while but now I'm more into real unprocessed food. If you were to do the protein drink the best I found was by David Kirsch. You can only get from his web site (I think) and they're not cheap - but lots of good stuff with low sugar. And FYI - I've read many times in Runners World research has found that the perfect recovery drink after a longer or harder run is ... a glass of chocolate milk! In my opinion it goes without saying that - depending on where your weight/fat composition is - there is a good chance of weight gain w/ weight training. But you aren't gaining FAT and muscle weighs more. It's basically sculpting your body from the inside. I'm doing STS and it will be the first time I've ever focused that much on weights. I usually run 3-4 days/ week and do weights twice. But as I get closer to 40 what has worked in the past isn't working now so I'm excited to see what this will do.

was around 18-20% so its pretty good but why the weight gain,wondering?
Muscle gain, perhaps.
If it happened over the last 14 years, it's definitely possible to gain that much muscle in that time (and lose a bit of fat in the process).

okay Ladys...

I want to share my diary I had found 1994 I wrote down my weight and measurements and it says here I weighed 115 in the past now I weigh 132, the middle of my thigh in the past was 20 1/2,now they are 16 1/4. For my stomach I was in the past 24 1/2-25,now I'm 26-26 1/2,for my hips they were in the past 36 1/2,now they are 35 3/4-36,for my chest in the past 33 and now 33. I did not take my arms.... I wish I did!!! But it is amazing how my weight went up and Ive lost inches and stay around the same.

I worry to much on what the scale says and need to focus more on measurments. So...It is possible that some my gain muscle over so many years of working out. Thanks for everything ladys,your wonderful!!

How cool you found your journal! Doesn't it make you feel better to see those numbers... :)

I always need some measurements around to help me remember that the scale is not nearly as important as how I feel and measure up.

I can only dream of working out as much as you do! Maybe one day I will, but if I do, you can be sure i'll be eating more than 1500 cals....

that actually is almost a reward in intself for me, to get to eat more...:eek:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.