can you dye brown eggs?

tknelsen

Cathlete
Has anyone ever dyed brown eggs for Easter? My daughter is supposed to bring in 4 hard-boiled eggs to preschool and I only have brown eggs from a local farmer. I hate to go and buy a dozen eggs from the store if I don't have to.

Tracy

I don't think they'd be as pretty but I think they would take the dye. You can get a half dozen eggs in white...

Tracy!

I don't see why you couldn't. They might not be as bright, color-wise but I think they would work. I would imagine the teacher would put all the eggs together and that way some of the other kids could share the white ones with your daughter. (And, she could share hers with them! ;-))

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie")http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

RE: Tracy!

You might want to paint or let her put glitter on them. I have been buying farm eggs from a woman at my daughter's gymnastics class. They are brown, cream colored and green. She says that if you use dark colors they come out kind of pretty.

Those farm eggs are YUMMY if you've never had them.

Melissa

RE: Tracy!

Yes, but they look antiqued not pastely. You have to change your idea of what an easter egg is to look like. A bowl of them on an antique sideboard is sheer Martha-ish. Mixed with the bright coloured white ones they look old and muddy. Just my opinion.

Trish

Wow - that never even crossed my mind. I'm glad you said something before I dyed eggs with Teri this weekend!

You can dye brown eggs and they turn out pretty. They are darker, not pastel. Yellow doesn't work too well, but the other colors work great. I actually do it with my kindergarteners every year. They each dye one white and one brown egg. They guess which one will be prettier before we dye them. Most guess white at the beginning. After we dye them, they each have their own opinion.
I say send the brown eggs. It will be a great experiment for the preschoolers.:)
Kimberly

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.