Can pizza be healthy?

kristi

Cathlete
First off, I'm not refering to Papa John's or Domino's pizza. My family loves pizza and has it about once every two weeks, but they could eat it nightly if I let them. Lately we have been eating frozen pizzas such as Freschetta or Diorgino. In the winter I use my bread machine to make the pizza dough and I use Ragu's spaghetti sauce. My normal toppings are turkey pepperoni, low-fat mozzarella cheese, mushrooms, and green peppers. Would you consider this healthy? We are not low carbers at all, but try to use moderation. How do you make your pizza healthy? Is it possible? I would love any suggestions you can offer and also if there is a sauce I can make homemade that can be frozen and then used later. I would like to sneak in some more veggies without detection if possible. Thanks!

I'm morally opposed to cooking myself, but from what you've described you're making a pretty good AND healthy pizza. The only suggestion I would have is to use a different spaghetti sauce, or do as you suggested make your own; pre-packaged spaghetti and pizza sauces are unbelievably loaded with sodium, and that is one of the hidden dangers in processed foods that people don't pay enough attention to.

Also consider substituting more fibrous vegetables in lieu of mushrooms; my personal fave is SLICED ARTICHOKE HEARTS. I've also had sliced zucchini on pizza which is pretty good.

Keep up the good work, and let me know when you're having a Cathe Pizza Party so I can attend.

A-Jock

Pizza every night would not be healthy, but you are serving it once every two weeks, as I do out of desperation about having to cook again, so your pizza is very healthy!!!! Quit worrying!!!!!!!!!!

I use the ragu pizza sauce and I have no idea how much sodium is in it, but I know how much sodium is in the rest of my kids' food, plus I get so sick and tired of drumming up ideas for healthy foods for picky eaters, so I say "what the heck" and I don't care. There's plenty of lycopene in the sauce (good for your husband and his prostate) and calcium in the cheese (for all our bones) which makes this perfectly acceptable in my book.

YOU ARE A GOOD MUM!!!!!!

Clare

My DH & son too just love pizza on a Fri. night. I usually purchase from a health food store pizza dough that you prepare from a package. Once the dough is made, I usually place grilled cooked chicken on it w/tomato sauce made fresh from an Italian deli that I go to & also put some red onion/garlic/peppers/broccoli/FF shredded mozzarella cheese on it. At least this way its far healthier for them. HTH, Kathy:D

i make my own pizza dough - with whole wheat flour - i love it. i also put broccoli and chicken on it along with onions, peppers and anything else i can find in the fridge. as for the sauce, put a few tomatoes in the blender and you'll have sauce - minus the sodium and added sugars and then you'll have real healthy pizza. my husband loves my home made pizza and so do the kids - they've never had processed pizza with white flour and don't know the difference. some people find the whole wheat flour too much - and if you need to get use to it - do half and half at first. it takes time to make it - but it is yummy and you'll be making it extra healthy!

Why don't you make your own pizza dough in the summer? It can be stored in the fridge for a day or two before baking. You could pump up the nutrients with whole wheat or other whole grain flour. I use some unbleached flour to keep the dough light, as 100% whole wheat dough can be a bit dense. I use Trader Joe's Almost Whole Wheat pizza dough in a pinch.

I wouldn't use Ragu on a regular basis because of the corn syrup. A large patch of homemade tomato sauce could be portioned & frozen. Other healthy toppings are basil puree, carmelized onions, hummus or just some garlic infused olive oil.

Most vegetables are potential pizza toppings. You can use shredded chicken or turkey instead of fattier meats if you're cooking for carnivores.

If there's a California Pizza Kitchen in your area, you might grab a menu. They have lots of unique pizzas and some are very healthy.

Debra

Hi there!

You could substitute whole wheat flour for white when making the crust. Here are a few of my fave pizza combos...

-spinach & mushroom

-pesto topped with chicken & toasted pine nuts (YUM!), sometimes with roasted peppers

-eggplant & cappicola (I'd leave out the cappicola, but DH likes it)

-mushroom & olives

Pizza is so great because there are endless combinations. I love using pesto as a base for the pizza instead of a red sauce. If you like pesto, you could make a spinach pesto. That'll boost the nutritional content. When I use a red sauce, I don't bother making sauce from scratch. (And I usually try to make everything from scratch if possible.) I think the jarred stuff is fine.

Very good question Debra! I guess I feel that I have more time in the winter to make it, but in reality I should do it year round. Afterall the bread machine does all the work and it even has a timer so the dough will be finished right as I am walking through the door and the dough won't have to sit too long. Also, it would probably be cheaper to make it as opposed to buying frozen or ordering out.

Thanks everyone for such great ideas!! I plan to start mixing the flour half and half since I am so used to using white flour. Wheat is a much better option. So many toppings. I forget there are endless options out there waiting to be explored by my family. I think I will also explore more tomato sauce bases in lieu of Ragu and see how my family likes it. If that does not pass the test then I guess I will have to stick with the tried and true.

Ajock, I'll let you know when I have my first Cathe pizza party. What a great idea! However you may find Kentucky to be a pretty laid back (a.k.a. boring) state than where you live.

Can I come to the party tooo? I LOVE pizza! http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/ernaehrung/food-smiley-002.gif[/img]
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Kristi, you're making me hungry.

My stepmother was born and raised in Louisville, Kentucky, and she's beyond cool. I hear they make a pretty mean bourbon down thataway as well . . .

A-Jock

I love pizza and there are some excellent ideas here, thanks! My personal favorite (at the moment!) is to put some olive oil on the dough with a little garlic, then slice tomatoes, spinach, onion, feta & motz (sparingly), dill and pepper. Then bake. Yum Yum!

Have fun,

Nancy

Debbie you can come too! The more the merrier.

A-Jock, you are right KY is noted for its horse racing and bourbon. Maker's Mark distillery is located in Bardstown, KY. There are also a few more here such as Buffalo Trace. I used to live near Louisville, but moved to Lexington when DH and I got married 7 years ago. I love it here. It is truly a beautiful place to live. If you are ever going to be in the area let me know.

Homemade pizza is one of our favorite weekend dinners!
I use half wheat/half white flour in the breadmaker too.

We like:

1. - Mexican (add 3 tblspns cornmeal & 3 teaspns of paprika, chile powder, red cayenne pepper, salt, ground cumin OR 3/4 of a prepackaged mix of taco seasonings onto the flour), top rolled dough with salsa or picante sauce, cooked ground sirloin w/ red sauteed onions added in, cheddar/monterey jack cheese. diced lettuce & tomatoes, & FF sour cream for sides .
2. - BBQ Chicken. Top dough w/ bbq sauce, cheddar cheese and cooked cubed chicken breast and red onions (sauteed is good). ff sour cream for a side.
3. - Spinach w/ mozerrella and regular pizza sauce (Gia Russa is good, no preservatives)
4. - AND easy Regular cheese w/ a few veggie toppings. (I add Italian spices in the dough mixture - makes the dough very flavorful)

These pizzas usually get your family to award you "The Best Pizza in The World" award every time.
(Especially if you've got a great DVD movie to go with it!)

Wonderful suggestions! Who else is ready for some homemade pizza? I'm going to put it on my menu for Saturday. Thanks for all of your ideas!

You could also make an "apple pizza" with a whole-wheat crust LIGHTLY brushed with butter, and apple slices (including skins) placed on the crust then sprinkling a cinnamon-brown-sugar mixture thickly over the entire surface and baking it.

A-Jock
(Did I say that?)

RE: Pizza - Clare You share my sentiments

I have picky kids as well. Thankfully one loves pizza, the other gets a peanut butter sandwich. I make my own every other Friday. I get tired of cooking only things my kids like. Though they are pretty sure they want to try a stir fry. Thats major news in our house. My husband is getting barbeque pork for Fathers Day. he's been asking for it. The kids will have to suffer. Getting back to the pizza issue, I don't worry about sodium, fat or carb content. For me that takes the enjoyment out of it. Have pizza and be happy.:)

I think we'll all be having a pizza this week! DH would be purring if I made A-Jock's pizza. He's a true sugar hound.

Piggy-backing on A-Jock's apple pizza, apples or pears are wonderful on carmelized onions. No sauce needed because the onions are carmelized in olive oil. But toasted hazelnuts & a favorite blue cheese are heavenly. Fontina's a good option too. Probably not a kid's pizza.

A friend of mine makes a Thai chicken pizza - chicken w/ peanut sauce, topped with cilantro. I've purposefully not asked for the recipe as portion control goes out the door.

Debra

Kristi!

What time did you say we are supposed to be there Saturday??? :p
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

AJ!

I CAN'T believe you said THAT! Oh, but does it ever sound great. Have you ever had Pizza Hut's dessert pizza. I haven't, just wondering if YOU have! (It is sooo yummy! ;-))

Yuuum Deb!

Every one of those sound sooo good. It is almost midnight and you guys are making me hungry! The blue cheese one sounds wonderful. I love blue cheese!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.