Can I Run???

fitmomof2

Hi Everyone --

I am getting ready to take on my next fitness challenge -- I want to run a 5k over Memorial Weekend and a 12K with my sister on 7/12. This is the deal -- I have never ever gone for a run/jog in my life, I have no form (so I think) and I guess I am looking for a little self confidence boost.

I work out 4 - 5 times per week everything from Cathe workouts to spinning to lifting wieghts and I have been doing that for 3 years now, pretty steady. And, I have signed up for my first Cathe roadtrip ever in July :)

I have signed up for a 5k training class being offered through the town and rec dept where I live and that starts on Wed.

What is everyone's advice to me including beginning web sites, clothes ;-), etc.... I already found a pair of running shoes based on some ideas from my sister but what else do I need to know??? Exactly, how hard is this -- if I can get throught Imax2, Step Blast, Body Max 2 can't I do this???

Thanks Everyone --

Yes, you can do this!! You are already starting out on the right foot! :p Signing up with a 5K training group is a great idea.

I ran in high school and pretty much came in last in every race. I stopped running and then started again in late 2007 (some 30 years later) and I haven't regretted. Is it hard? Yes! But I love entering races. I have done everything from a 5K to a 15K. I'm not the fastest runner but I have lots of fun and have met some really cool people!

Go for it!!!

If I can run, ANYONE can!

I ran the first mile of my life in November 08. I've always considered myself a pretty physically fit person, but running was not something that I really ever tried very hard to do. But once I had that first mile under my belt, I was hooked.

I got a good pair of running shoes and my dear hubby agreed to buy a treadmill. I didn't do any kind of formal training program, just ran until I felt like I couldn't run anymore. Yesterday I did 5 miles without stopping.

I am running my first 5K in two weeks, and I am psyched. I hope to have many more races after that also.

Good luck to you!

YES YOU CAN!!

I ran a 5K last weekend with a friend who did no running training, but is very fit and exercises for 1-2 hours at a time. It was very hard for her, but she made it!!

So with you doing the training for both races, this is very doable for you.

Running is more mental than physical for me. I need my GPS and music to get me through. The music is down low, but it is my running music to give me the beat that I run to. I can still hear everything around me and talk with my partner, so the volume is down pretty low.

I like the GPS to tell me how fast I am running, how far I've gone, how far I still have to go, etc. Some people hate to know this information, but I thrive on it! I have the basic Forerunner (100?) It was about $100, suggested by someone here.

You can totally do this!! Keep a positive attitude and go for it!!:D
Jenn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.