Can anyone recommend a beginner yoga dvd?

princessbear

Cathlete
I want to start incorporating some yoga into my workouts - and don't want to be stuck to a yoga studio's schedule (especially since none of them in my area early a.m. classes). Can anyone recommend a good beginner yoga dvd - and perhaps an intermediate dvd for later?

Seems like I'm full of questions here lately!:D

I love Eoinn Finn's Power Yoga for Happiness. He shows all of the moves from extreme newbie to EXTREME FREAKAZOID YOGINI (him). He's very soft spoken & makes the session quite enjoyable.

I love Eoinn Finn's Power Yoga for Happiness. He shows all of the moves from extreme newbie to EXTREME FREAKAZOID YOGINI (him). He's very soft spoken & makes the session quite enjoyable.

Thanks - I just checked out his website and the trailers to the pure and simple and the power yoga for happiness... I like his voice and positive energy.... Looks like more $$$ going out of the wallet, and toward my health!!

My favs are: Baron Baptiste, Rodney Yee, Beryle Bender Birch and Bryan Kest. I also enjoy Rainbeau Mars and Anna Benson's Yoga (and her Fitprime/Kickbutt which incorporates yoga/pilates/weights). I have tried Mark Blanchard, kinda on the fence about him though. Kundahlina Yoga with Ana Brett/Ravi Singh, and Gumrukh are great ones as well. Hope this helps.

" just checked out his website and the trailers to the pure and simple and the power yoga for happiness"

I highly recommend the Pure & Simple dvd. Eoin is just yummy and there is an instructional section where he goes thru each pose and the proper alignment etc. The actual workout has a very nice soothing flow. I also recommend Max Strom's Strength, Grace & Healing.

" just checked out his website and the trailers to the pure and simple and the power yoga for happiness"

I highly recommend the Pure & Simple dvd. Eoin is just yummy and there is an instructional section where he goes thru each pose and the proper alignment etc. The actual workout has a very nice soothing flow. I also recommend Max Strom's Strength, Grace & Healing.

The reviews for Pure and Simple weren't great - everyone said he talks too much ... I'm going to give it a try though. Wanted to order through amazon, but power yoga for happiness isn't available, so I guess I'll order it through his website. Thanks all for the suggestions.

How often do you folks do yoga? I'm thinking with all my injuries, I may stick strictly to yoga workouts for the next few weeks - it kills me not to lift or do step or kickbox, but I feel like my body is turning aganist me - fighting back and wants me to stop for a bit...

I used to practice 1-1.5 hours, 6 days a week, but lately ~ with all the new workout add-ons ~ I'm having trouble fitting everything in. Now I'm lucky if I can sneak in 20 minutes after cardio. Once in a while, I treat myself to a quick 30 minute practice at night. I need more hours in the day. :)

If you're feeling crappy, a week of yoga will help as long as you don't push yourself too hard and think competitively (as in, "If they can bend that far, so can I!"). Many think yoga is the answer to everything and thus cannot cause injury, but it's like any other form of exercise in that department.

So relax and enjoy. Eoin is cool, very much a surfer dude. Bryan Kest is my absolute favorite, Baron Baptiste is great (has a wonderful 30 minute DVD that hits the spot sometimes), and Shiva Rea is in a class by herself. If you find yourself falling in love with yoga down the road, I highly recommend Shiva. <3

(You're gonna LOVE Savasana.)

or you could try

yoga today dot com. I've been using that for over a year. It is free and there is a little advertising before the workouts. It streams onto your computer. You can get it off of iTunes. They rate the classes as either beginning, intermediate or advanced. And, don't assume just because you begin a class that you have to finish it or do all of the poses. (I'm not doing unassisted shoulder stands yet.) You need a yoga mat, a strap and probably a yoga brick. I have yet to try yoga socks. I'm renting a bunch of the others (mentioned above by other people) from netflix.

I try to add yoga in a couple of times a week. Eoin is good but does require some gettting used too. He makes some strange comments. He does have people doing different levels throuout his workouts. I have his Power yoga for Happiness. It is two dvd's and does have some nice premixes. Rainbeau Mars is good. She has some that are more beginner and slower paced. I have her Dawn yoga which is good. There is a bonus segment that is only 10 minutes that is good when I just have time for a little. Shiva Rheas's have a lot of premixes. They do have more advanced moves but you can pick and choose. I have Yoga Shatki. I do have one of Ana and Ravi's. Everytime I think that I am going to get rid of this one I still tend to hang on to it. I have Yoga Housecalls and some of those segments do seem to work. It incorporates a lot of breathing. The back and arthritis segments have been great for me. Stilll I feel like it is odd. I guess you would have to do it to make your judgement on how it feels. My first was Yoga X from the P90X series. This is good too. No premixes though and it is 1 hr 32 minutes. I have figured out ways to make my own workout shortening the time for all of the vinyasas and the final floor segments tha include the crow and plough.

He makes some strange comments.

Like how the pose should feel like getting ice cream licked off your body?! :D I remember the first time I heard him say that. What?!

Bryan Kest has some interesting moments too. On his class bootlegs, he swears and says some goofy stuff about making love to your own body. :rolleyes: Okay, Bryan.

How about Shiva Rea's new Flow Yoga for Beginners or Element Yoga and I think Collage has a new A.M P.M Element Yoga for Beginners. Can't remember the exact title of the Element Yoga sorry.

Sara Ivanhoe's Basic Yoga for Dummies is my all time favorite yoga workout, I memorized it so well, I do the poses to my own music and donated the DVD a while back.

I do it every so often, usually on Sunday, which is my rest day, it feels great to stretch everything out a second time, as I usually do a Cathe stretch DVD after my workouts during the week.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.