Can anyone here actually DO Cathe's advanced treadmill workout?

candice_o

I came across it in my archives of rotations. It's in "Cathe Rotations Greatest Hits Volume I" It is totally brutal. It has you running at one point for 10 minutes at 7.5. I am 5'6 and a runner and can barely run at 7.0. Is something wrong here? I mean, when she says "7.5 for 10min" she does mean 7.5mph, right?
And then at the end are some intervals of 8.0 for 1 minute and 6.0 for 30 seconds. Is the 6.0 supposed to be an active rest? Because 6.0 is close to my sprint!!! I think I am missing something here. Can anyone shed some light?

thanks,
Candice

Hi Candice.
I can actually do this workout and for awhile was doing it once a week. It is a very tough workout, but I've been running for years. I wouild recommend doing it at your own level and working up from there. For instance if your sprint is 6.0 than make your fastest interval 6.5 and work the other numbers down from there. This way you are still doing the intercals and challenging yourself, but at your own level. You will progress from there. Good luck!

I couldn't do it as written. I had to really lower the speeds and even then it was hard, hard, hard. I suppose if I did it regularly, it would be more doable. That was my one and only attempt. LOL

I don't understand. If the numbers are presumably mph, after doing 1 minute at 8.0mph, how could 6.0 pace be an "active rest" when it is faster (though shorter, but I don't see how that could be a rest at that speed)? You sound like an incredible runner by any measure. I have been a runner for many years, but this workout sounds like it would be too fast for me. Also those machines always seem faster than timed race running speeds for some reason, and what about differences in individual machines, do you think that is an issue ever? I'm just curious about this because I would love to see if I could do it.

Linda

i think you are confused when you say "how could 6.0 pace be an active rest when it is faster"? it refers to speed, not the pace of your mile ie, it doesnt mean a 6 minute mile, it means 6.0 miles per hour. 8.0mph is faster than 6.0mph. maybe i misunderstood you but if not, then i hope this clears it up.

this sounds like a hard workout nevertheless. i run a lot (or used to until sidelined by an injury) and running at 7.5 for 10 mins is a challenge! good luck!

RE: Can anyone here actually DO Cathe's advanced treadm...

here ya go,

Cathe’s Advanced Treadmill Workout

3.4 - 4 min.
3.8 - 4 min.
4.4 - 4 min.
5.5 - 4 min.
6.5 - 5 min.
7.5 - 10 min.
8.0 - 5 min. (OPTIONAL!)

Slow down over 1 min. to 3.8

Raise incline to level 14 and walk uphill for 10 min.

Lower to level 9 and increase speed to 4.8 for 5 min.

Lower to ground level over 1 min.

Then do:

4 interval cycles of 8.0 for 1 min. and 6.0 for 30 seconds.

Finish with:

6.0 - 2 min.
3.8 - 3 min.
3.4 - 3 min.
3.0 - 4 min.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.