Calories

dancehallqueen22

Hey everyone! How many calories do you think a typical Cathe step tape burns? Like maybe Imax2? I was just wondering if I would be better off doing that or the elliptical because I burn almost 700 calories in an hour on the elliptical, if the calorie calculator is right on it, what are some of your thoughts on this?

Have checked this with the help of a heart rate monitor. I typically burn between 450 - 550 calories on a 60 minute Cathe step tape. Definitely more than on a stationary bike, but equivalient or slightly less than on an elliptical. Hope this helps!

I just read in M&F Hers that a typical hi-intensity step workout (like anything by Cathe) can burn up to 400 calories in just 30 min. That's using an 8 inch step. This makes stepping more of a calorie burner than biking, running and even kickboxing! Is the calorie counter on your elliptical trainer attached to a heart rate monitor? If it's not, it's probably not very accurate. Of course, a lot depends on how much you put into a workout, but I'm sure if you're doing IMAX 2, you're burning plenty of calories, even if you modify!

Thanks for the replies, i might invest in one of those heartrate monitor/calorie counter things but i know they're expensive! Why do you hate step?

I always wear a heart monitor for cardio. I weigh about 115lbs. For me, a Cathe step usually burns about 100cals every 15 minutes.....and sometimes, 100 cals every 12-13 minutes after the first 15 minutes. Most of her workouts(50-60mins) I burn about 380-400+ cals. I have used 8" and 6" steps. Not much of a big difference in cals burned.

Running a mile for me only burns about 88 cals per mile. In about a half hour I burn at the most 250-300 cals depending on my speed.

I think burning 400 cals in a 1/2 hr is pretty hard, unless you weigh quite a bit. That's 133 cals every 10 minutes. I guess(I'm sure) it can be done, but not by me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.