Calories for gaining muscle?

Kat2002

Cathlete
Hi everyone,

I'm currently losing weight by following a low calorie plan. I'm satisfied with all of my results so far, but this summer I want to focus on gaining muscle/achieving muscle definition. What does this mean for me in terms of adjusting calories once I reach my goal as far as fat loss? The resources I've read say that I need to be eating above maintenance to put on muscle, while those same resources say that my maintenance calories are 2025.

The last time I *incrementally* raised my calories that high (granted I probably wasn't exercising with enough intensity) but I gained about 10 lbs in as many weeks and didn't feel well.

Has anyone achieved that muscular look without going high-calorie?

I would say the most important thing to focus on is the # grams of protein. I know that will shock those of you who know me :) Try to shoot for 1g per lb of your bodyweight. You'll have to play around with the number of calories to see what works for you. The 2000 range doesn't sound bad though. Focus on getting protein at EVERY meal. Believe me, it's not easy.

If you are lifting 5 days per week (with a couple of rest days) plus keeping up your cardio...2000 cals shouldn't be too much and may actually be too little. The KIND of food really does make a difference. Protein. Protein. Protein. Focus on it and drinking enough water. Also consider a staggered calorie diet. There have been lots of discussions here about people having success with that kind of eating. I will also say that it appears to work the best for me.

You'll just have to keep measuring your progress when you go into the "muscle gaining" mode. Investing in a BF measurement method (so you're not focusing on weight alone) can help you track your results. I use a BF% scale. While the exact NUMBER is not accurate on these things -- they ARE good tools for tracking your progress (if BF% is consistently going up -- need to adjust food and/or workouts...if BF% is consistently going down -- you're doing the right stuff). But you must weigh yourself at the same time of the day, under the same hydration level to get a consistent measurement.

Shonie

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world" - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=6&uid=3655618&

Thanks, Shonie. I'm actually more at an intermediate level cardio wise..in that case, do you think approx. 1700 cals is sufficient or sitll too low?

I'm in the same boat as you about wanting to gain muscle. I posted this on ask Cathe's and she replied to me that I need to increase my calories. I have attached a website that talks about protein and how to increase lean muscle mass. It is pretty interesting. The protein talk is on page 2. I also read somewhere that you need to eat between 118 to 120 calories per pound of body weight.

Cinnamon

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark34.htm

I don't think 1700 cals is enough given your activity level and weight.

Also make sure that you are getting some HEAVY weight training in order to build muscle. For example, I'd say Cathe's PUB and the Gym Style workouts are sufficiently heavy (at least in the upper body). ME and PH are more endurance. Ideally, you would have access to a gym -- but it's not absolutely necessary.

When I was at the height of my muscle-building (I've since fallen off the wagon ;-))...I was following a staggered calorie diet. I was eating well over 2500 on some days and around 1500 on the restrictive days. I'm about 5'1 and 115...just to give you an example (which is why I don't think 1700 is enough). Honestly (and what I don't think some people will admit), I felt too full and uncomfortable on the "over 2500" days. BUT I believe it has to be that way during a muscle-building phase. In the long run, I ended up with more muscle and way less fat than ever before.

Hmmm...maybe I need to get back on the wagon :)

Good luck!
Shonie

Thanks, Shonie! I'm going to tweak my program this summer when I'll have alot of free time..can't wait.

When you go through the muscle building phase..do you also cut down on your cardio?

Hey Kathleen --

No, I don't cut down on my cardio very much. There are a couple of reasons for that:

#1. I like cardio and feel lazy when I don't do *some* form of it. I might not go all-out intense all the time, though.

#2. It helps with keeping the fat to a minimum while bulking.

#3. Cardio is a stress-reliever for me...so I must do it to remain sane and keep me from kicking the living crap out of my coworkers ;-)

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world" - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=6&uid=3655618&

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.