Calorie consumption during rest times

JACLYN H

I just posted this on Cathe's forum for her input (hopefully). But I was wondering, does anyone change their eating habits on days they don't workout? I eat pretty clean, but I find I'm usually just as hungry whether I work out or not. Do you decrease your calories or food intake during rest days or rest weeks? Just curious,thanks.

I've been having this problem too--I am actually HUNGRIER on the days I don't work out. How annoying! I feel so guilty eating the same way I would if I were working out because I feel like I don't need the calories. I just had to take a week off (something I haven't done in 8 years--it was really hard to do) due to a back and neck injury and I felt so guilty everytime I put something in my mouth. It was killing me too, because I was hungry ALL THE TIME. I'd appreciate any input on this as well.

Allison

Wait a sec...I thought cardio was supposed to increase your metabolism and cause you to burn more calories all the time, whether you work out that day or not? I know that, unfortunately, there is now evidence that strength training does not do this as originally thought, but cardio still does, right?

Allison, you're right! I find that I'm hungrier on days I don't work out...and even tend to crave junk.
Nancy, I haven't heard the new thoughts on strength training, that really sucks!! So all the muscle you build DOESN'T really burn increased calories or increase your metabolism?

I heard Dr. Oz say that exercise is a natural appetite suppressant. So on your days off, maybe that's why you're hungrier?

Sally

"So all the muscle you build DOESN'T really burn increased calories or increase your metabolism?"

That's what the latest word, Jaclyn. :(

ETA: To be completely accurate, muscle does burn calories at rest: about 13 calories per pound, which is nominal. Of course, this doesn't change the fact that muscle-building has many health benefits. It's just not much of a fat burner.

>I heard Dr. Oz say that exercise is a natural appetite
>suppressant. So on your days off, maybe that's why you're
>hungrier?
>

I believe anything that Dr. Oz says. Plus he's one of the most gorgeous men I've ever seen. :p

I also feel hungrier on those days I don't exercise. I hate it because I know I won't be burning those extra calories. A couple of weeks ago I was reading a couple of myths about dieting and eating the same amount of calories every day was one of them. Our appetite changes often due to levels of activity (or inactivity), stress, hormones, etc. and sometimes we need to eat a little more or a little less to keep us satisfied.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.