CALLING ALL OUTDOOR RUNNERS!!! HELP!!

KissedbySunshine

Hey runners,

Have a little problem and thought you could help me with it. I use to run (on the treadmill) for about 60 mins, at max 7.2 miles or so. Im no where near that now. But I only ran because my thing is group ex @ the gym, Im more of a city gym enthusiast, and I didn't have a gym that had "good" instructors. Very novice, it was a college so they had people who just got certified (not judging, I taught 2). Anyways, Im thinking about going away overseas (Peace Corps if I can) and I just needed some advice on running since there's nothing else to do fitness wise in somewhere like rural Africa. Since its never really been my thing, can you give me some advice on how to stay motivated or rather GET motivated with running. The treadmill was a little different since if I don't run on it i'll die and smash my head on the gym floor, quite unpleasant if not completely embarrassing. I think I haven't been interested in running outside because I know I can stop so I do. I don't know. Looking @ nature isn't my thing. Any tips on motivation to get me started? Im already thinking of strength training to do in rural Peace Corps territory, I just need some cardio to do as well. Thanks!!!

Yes! Download all the Cardio Coach and iTread workouts you can. Those will keep you motivated and interested for sure!

Steve Cotter has an Encyclopedia of Body Weight Exercises. It shows so many different ways to do body weight exercises. Considering that he does those and kettlebells and is in the shape he is in, I think you'll do fine that way.

Running - I third Cardio Coach and iTrains. But, I'd be a little leery of running in Rural Africa with headphones on. I'd actually start with them here in the States, to get you used to running outdoors. Then maybe try running without them. You say you have the treadmill to keep you going - well consider that on an outdoor run, if you run 2 miles away from where you are, then you have to run the two miles back.

Side note: You might want to check with the Peace Corps when you get assigned (that's a great think you're doing, especially for a city girl, by the way!) to see what they recommend. You may not want to go running at all depending on where you are - and you might want to look into alternatives to running. Check out the Crossfit websites (www.jerseycrossfit.com is a good one). They use things like sandbags, logs, tires, etc to really provide a sound fitness level. It may give you some ideas on how to use things you have around you to give you a good workout without doing the traditional cardio then weights that use Catheites are used to. And you can always pack a plain of jump rope - that is always good cardio and won't take it out of camp.

I was in the same boat. I used to love treadmill running. I could only do 5 and a half miles an hour though. When your on a treadmill the surface has less impact on your knees and joints and the belt helps propel you forward, which helped encourage me to run. I used to hate outdoor running for the following reasons. First, the temprature. Outdoors you are at the mercy of however hot or cold it is and I've done it once and vow never again to run in hot weather. Two it IS harder. The terrain is not always flat and or paved which causes you to work harder at adapting to hills. If you ever ran on a gravel or dirt trail you'll know what I mean. So here is how I started to train myself to run outdoors. I got an IPOD and a Garmin 305. I started doing intervals and would download music that helped motivate me to run. I would run for one song and walk for the next. The Garmin 305 heart rate monitor helped me to track my progress, and distance. I also ran with my husband. It helps when you have a running buddy to help push and motivate you. I couldn't let my husband know that I couldn't keep up. I went for power hikes, and then upgraded to trail running. It helps when you have something beautiful to look at (I'm fourtunate to live in California). I started running first thing in the morning. With encouragment from everyone on this site, and you know what, it feels good to get it over with first thing in the morning. I would start with running on a track, if you have access to one or a very flat and paved road. Once you get used to that start varying your runs. I guess my best advice is to start slow. It's just like starting anything new, you need to get used to it first. Good luck.

I would suggest getting a garmin forerunner.. they are about $200, but they tell you how far you run, your pace, and it keeps track of total miles, miles each day, each weeek.. ect. It is a great motivation for me. You can set it to beep if you are going to fast or two slow. I love seeing the miles add up and it really keeps me motiveated. It is so easy if you have that watch to do a 6 mile run because you can do an out and back route and just run 3 miles out and 3 miles back.

Thank You EVERYONE for your suggestions. They really helped me to think about it!!!

Oh and as for the whole PC things, they don't put you in areas that are dangerous or under political battle. They do try to make it safe and secure, but things do happen just as crime and assault happens anywhere. A lot of volunteers are limited to running EARLY in the am since their not a lot else to do. But it would be challanging for me just because Im a woman and the whole thing with the dress code and YES the will of the temperature. So I've been checking with Return Peace Corps Volunteers on that. However I do think we're allowed to has less than traditional clothing for exercising. Im not sure how they work that out tho if tradition is tradition is tradition and we're suppose to blend into the culture, not just be awkward, rude Americans. I haven't gotten that yet but Im still have to apply. Fitness is just important to me and I don't want to loss myself in the process of doing something I love.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.