Calling All Kettlebell Experts

Nadja Z

Cathlete
I get the general idea of this workout and I've seen a few video previews. I'm wondering:

1. Has anyone noticed any joint/tendon issues with this? (I'm thinking elbow/wrist especially?)
2. Is it relatively easy to learn and maintain proper form? I have to be really careful with most upper body moves, it seems like my neck/trap area always wants to take over.
3. Any back issues?

I'm sure I'll just have to try it for myself to get an answer (maybe start out with Bento's new one?). Something about the way you're holding the kb with the handle and the way the weight switches from one side of your hand/arm to the other side makes the moves seem a bit out of control to me.

Also, in the previews I've seen, it seems like you do one move over and over and over, then move on to the next, I presume. Are the entire workouts like this? Anyone find them a bit boring?

Nadja

Hi Nadja,

I have been working with kettlebells for at least 2 years. I have not experienced any joint/tendon issues or issues with my elbow or wrist.

It was relatively easy for me to learn because I was taught by instructors at a fitness boot camp. I don't know how it would be if I had to learn it on my own. If interested, you might want to check to see if you can find any kettlebell instructors in your area and take a class.

I have had no back issues at all. In fact, there is evidence that working out with kettlebells actually strengthen and can help back problems. Of course, I can't verify that because I don't have any back issues.

I don't find kettlebells boring. I have a couple of videos that I use but lately I have been outside more and doing my own workouts. I make up circuit type workouts and use kettlebells in between the cardio portions. The videos that I like are Providence and Newport by Art of Strength and Keith Weber's Extreme Kettlebell Cardio Workout. Also, kettlebell movements work a variety of body parts at a time, so you can get a full body workout in 30 minutes. These workouts can get your heart rate up so it acts like a cardio workout as well.

I love kettlebells and since I have incorporated them more in my workouts I have noticed more muscle definition, an increase in strength and endurance and I feel more lean overall.

As I suggested before you might want to get instruction from a professional before investing in kettlebells.

HTH,

Hi Nadja,

I'm not a KB expert at all, but, since Jane gave you her more experienced view, I thought that I'd be able to give you a newbie perspective. :) I've only been working with KB's for a couple of months, and I LOVE them!

I didn't take a class to get started, but I probably should have. Like Jane said, an instructor will probably help you learn correct form, which you said you're worried about, so it might be a good idea to do a search to see if there are any studios in your area.

I just practiced the moves that came with the Go Fit KB I bought at Target, and then the first workout I bought was The KB Way (http://store.beacon-fitness.com/servlet/-strse-1/The-Kettlebell-Way-cln--Volume/Detail), which is a remake of the AOS Providence workout that Jane mentioned. The KB Way is great for learning more moves, but the one I've really
been enjoying is the Keith Weber one (http://www.dragondoor.com/dv052.html) that Jane also suggested. That one really kicks my behind!

I haven't noticed any issues with my wrists/elbows, and the low back pain I used to get has actually gotten better since integrating the KB workouts.

Like Jane said, KB's are great for developing overall strength and endurance -- and they are not boring at all! Even if you're doing the same move over and over again, you don't do the move for very long, and each move is extremely challenging to do.

HTH! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.