Calling all clean eaters . . .

Chrissysu

Cathlete
Hi, all!

I've heard so much about clean eating on the boards, I "think" I have an idea about how to do it. There are still some things that I'm not sure whether to call clean or not, but I was hoping you all could help me out. I'm trying to cut out the processed stuff, so I'm going to try journaling my food for a while, while I experiment. If you're a clean eater, could you post a sample of your menu for one day? It will help me figure out how closely I'm matching other clean eaters.

Thanks so much!
Chrissy

>Hi, all!
>
>I've heard so much about clean eating on the boards, I "think"
>I have an idea about how to do it. There are still some
>things that I'm not sure whether to call clean or not, but I
>was hoping you all could help me out. I'm trying to cut out
>the processed stuff, so I'm going to try journaling my food
>for a while, while I experiment. If you're a clean eater,
>could you post a sample of your menu for one day? It will
>help me figure out how closely I'm matching other clean
>eaters.
>
>Thanks so much!
>Chrissy
>

Oxygen Magazine had a GREAT clean eating plan called the Bum Diet in a special Glutes spring 2006 edition. I've been following something close to that, so a typical day looks like:

breakfast:4 eggs whites,whole wheat dry toast, coffee
midmorning: cooked oatmeal and banana
lunch: fish or 4 egg whites, brocolli, 1/2 whole wheat pita
midafternoon: hummus and whole grain wrap, apple
dinner: fish, beans, 1/2 cup rice
snack: oatmeal

that hardest part is not having a margarita!

My journey in clean eating started with the Firm 14 day diet. That helped me figure things out. My day today looks like this:

Breakfast: 1c. Kashi Go Lean
Snack: Plain yogurt with 1/2c. strawberries and 1/2 banana
Lunch: salad with baby greens, 4oz cooked ground turkey, tomato, cucumber, 2T. light ranch dressing and a baked yam
Snack: protein shake made from 1c milk, 1T cocoa powder, 1T natural peanut butter & 1 scoop protein powder
Dinner: 4oz chicken breast marinated in salsa and grilled, frozen mixed veggies, 1/2c brown rice, salad greens & 1T. raspberry vinaigrette

Hope that gives you an idea!

Carol

My usual days looks like this (a bit different today since DH really wanted biscuits for breakfast)

Breakfast: 1 serving Kashi cereal with skim milk
AM snack: a serving of fruit (either banana, apple, grapes, peaches)
Lunch: Romaine lettuce salad with low-fat dressing, sandwich on whole wheat-whole grain bread...either freshly ground PB and fresh fruit preserves or Fresh Market lunch meat (hardly processed)
Mid-afternoon snack: another serving of fruit or 1 mozzarella stick
After work snack: some Kashi TLC original crackers
Dinner: 4 oz lean meat (usually chicken), steamed brocolli w/ garlic, corn, whole grain rice pilaf or couscous.
Sometimes I get hungry after dinner and need more fruit.

-Becky

This is my typical menu:

B - 1/2 cup slow cook oatmeal w/ flaxseed and fat free milk, 4 egg whites
S - Apple, protein bar
L - 4oz chicken breast on oat bran bread, grapes or strawberries
S - Light string cheese, 2 whole wheat crackers
D - 4oz fish or chicken, broccoli and 5.5oz baked potato or sweet potato
S - 1/2 cup plain yogurt with berries and Splenda

I used to eat the last snack every night, but lately I haven't been as hungry, so I've been skipping it.

Katie

My day usually looks like this:

B: 1 cup organic bran flakes w/ 1/2 cup skim milk and blueberries,
S: 3 egg whites, 1 piece wheat toast w/1/2 T organic PB
L: 1/2 can tuna mixed w/ 1T light ranch dressing on a wheat wrap or 2 slices wheat bread, piece of fruit or some strawberries or bing cherries
S: apple or nectarine and handful of almonds
D: grilled pork chop/chicken or very small piece of steak, steamed veggies and either 1/2 c of brown rice or a baked potato. Sometimes a salad depending on how hungry I am.
S: depends on my mood but it usually involves organic PB :) ...I'm in love with it!

Melissa

Wow! Thanks so much! I'm not that far off after all. I wondered about protein bars and shakes. I didn't know if they were considered "clean," but I've been eating them regardless.

Thanks!
Chrissy

what about the 3-5 servings of veggies? my favorite dinner is salmon from grocery deli and veggies in olive oil.(yellow squash,zuccini,red bellpepper). sometimes add a small salad with baby spinach and shredded carrots.

laura

"Clean" is subjective. It really depends on who you ask. Some consider a clean diet 'healthier than average' and on the other side of the spectrum, some consider clean whole foods only, no processing involved. As a general rule, I aim for 1 ingredient foods. Eggs. Oatmeal. Fruit, Veggies, meat, etc. However, just because I consider something to be 'unclean', does not mean I do not eat it.

Protein bars and shakes are more subjective than other items when it comes to "clean". You have to read the ingredients and know what's in them so you can make a decision for you :) For instance, my protein powder only has 1 ingredient -- hemp powder. Pretty clean, IMO. I've seen lots of whey powders that have sugar, flavorings, etc. IMO, they're not very clean. You just have to be careful and aware of what you're putting in your body. Clean IS subjective, so if you're ok with what you're eating, enjoy it!

Carol

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.