Calling all Cathe triathletes

tempted....

Hi Gretchen,

I've been watching your posts & thought you were aiming for a triathlon. I'm tempted but the swimming is an obstacle. I can swim for recreation but don't know fitness swimming. Leaping into the ocean is another kettle of fish. So I'm a potential biathlete.

But century (bike event) training is similar to triathlon training in approach. I've just finished base training for a March century. I used S&H then the PS tapes (just 1x week). You won't need any x-training for a triathlon, but Cathe's cardio does serve that purpose if one can't get outside.

The Pilates you've been doing is great for the core. Paula Newby-Frasier is a proponent. Her book is several years old (heck she's semi-retired) but it's still a great resource. I keep trying to keep her advice in mind - that flexibility training has to be considered just as important to your training as biking, running & swimming. I enjoy it, but it's the first thing to go when my schedule gets tight.

If you don't have a sports nutrition book, get one soon. Experiment early on with gels, hydration fluids & bars to see what works for you if you're not already using them & even if you're shooting for a short distance event.

Of course, there's always Kim's training method - renovate your house!

Debra

Debra

Gretchen

Do you mind sharing what you're using for a training plan? I've heard Friel's book is terrific, but truly hard core.

Will your swims be in lakes?

Debra

Hi Gretchen

I had planned to compete in a half-ironman last November and was hoping to move up to ironman distance this year, but fate had other plans for me. I had knee surgery back in 2000 and had hoped to be running by summer of 2001, but at this point, my knees will never tolerate the level of training for any kind of running. That is, until they design a triathlon that has the run portion in the deep end of a pool. I've changed my focus to bicycling only, which is my strong sport, and I'm planning on an ambitious year of centuries and double centuries with the intent of doing some ultramarathon racing in 2003.

The best training for multisport events is to train in those events. You may gain some general fitness doing step and hi-lo, but in order to improve and excel at swimming, bicycling and running, you need to spend time in the pool, on the saddle and in your running shoes.

There are a multitude of resources. Debra refers to "Friel's" book meaning, no doubt, The Triathlete's Training Bible. That is an excellent book, but seems to address triathletes that have some experience that want to improve their performance. Search amazon.com for "triathlon" and you'll find a numbe of books out there. Another good resource is a subscription to Triathlete or Inside Triathlon magazine. They have training articles and frequently have multi-week training plans for sprint, olympic, half-ironman and ironman distances. They also have lots of articles about all the gear you're going to want to collect. Also, see if your local YMCA has any women's triathlon programs, or at the very least, a masters swim program. Swimming and bicycling with a group may push you to work harder than you might otherwise, and that will make you stronger.

Because sprint distances are so short, transitioning from one stage to the next is very important, and you should plan to spend a lot of time working on going from the swim to the bike, and from the bike to the run. If you're planning to wear a wetsuit, you should probably get one and practice swimming in it ahead of time so you don't find out on the day of your event that you can't easily get your arms over your head.

Nutrition is important, too. Sprint triathlon distance is short enough that you won't need to worry about finding food to keep you going for several hours, but you will need to eat to keep your energy going at a high level. Find out in advance what food they will have at each of your events and try it out on your practice rides and runs.

Strength training is important, and that's where Cathe's tapes can help you. You can continue to use the PS and S&H tapes, MIS and Power Hour. As you increase the intensity and duration of your swimming, bicycling and running, you will need to cut back on the amount of time you spend lifting weights, but don't cut it out all together. Joe Friel, himself, has expresed the need for women to keep up strength training all year long. Cut back on the amount of weight you use for lower body training, though. You may find that your own body weight is sufficient for squats and lunges. Don't worry--your lower body will be getting plenty of work on the bike and on your runs. Pilates and yoga are also excellent (as Debra pointed out) to assist with core strength, which helps you maintain strong posture on the bike and in the pool.

In designing your training plans, take a calendar and put your four events on it. Of those four, decide which one or two is the most important for you, and which are of lesser importance which could serve as a "training" race. Your training periods will need to include a base period (where you log in swimming, bicycling and running miles to build a solid aerobic base), an intensity period (where you build speed in the three events), a peak period (where you build power) and finally, a taper period leading up to your race. After your race, you should build in a recovery period before you start the next intensity cycle to prepare for your next race. Be sure you have enough time between races, or turn one of your races into a training event to prepare for one that is more important.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, Gretchen. I envy you and wish I could be running with you. Keep us posted!

RE: LOL Debra

You get quite a kick out of that house renovation/triathlon training hey Debra. :) You know, I still worked out in the morning before the painter got here for those 3 weeks this summer. I have to admit that I did not really "hardcore" train for my event. In fact, I had not swam or biked at all! But, you have to remember that the event I was in was a short sprint type one consisting of .5 km swim, 20 km bike and 6 km run. Being able to do Bodymax on an 8" step pretty much got me through the triathlon here. I am sure my time would have been way better if I had had the time to really train hard and properly.

I am considering training for a marathon or some such thing and would like to get serious about training and nutrition like Kimberly suggests. Not that I am an intensity junkie or anything....

Kim

RE: Hi Gretchen

I'm not Gretchen but your information was pretty valuable to me as well. I've also picked up some tips from reading Debra's posts.

I've been toying with the idea of trying a sprint triathlon but my biggest fear is how much "stuff" to bring, where do you keep it, and how do you transition between sports. (sounds dumb but when you've never been in a competition before its those kinds of things that get you wondering)

One of my goal's has been to go in a triathlon before I'm 50 and the biological clock is now ticking. My age doesn't bother me, it just doesn't seem to always go with my state of mind.

Kim, the triathlon sprint I'm thinking of doing is the Mother's Day one in Prince Albert. I've heard its for beginners. Could you tell me what the one in La Ronge is like. I guess you'd have to swim in the lake wouldn't you? (that idea intimidates me, swimming is not my strong point)

If all goes well, my long term plan is to do more long distance biking and running. I'm thinking maybe when I retire and have more time to train. Ah........ I'm off dreaming again.

Thanks again everyone for some very good advice.

I'm strivN2Bfit , Paulette

RE: Hi Paulette

The triathlon in La Ronge is in August and so swimming in the lake, while it can be cold, is not bad. The swim on the shorter events tends to be quite short as is the swim in the La Ronge event as it consists of a .5 km swim. I am not much of a swimmer and while I get out of the water fairly quickly, the idea of swimming 2 miles in the Frank Dunn is what keeps me out of that event. If I did a relay type of thing, the run would be my best suit. As well, when it comes to the bike event, all I have is a mountain bike. One of my competitors was amazed by the fact that I did so well with such a heavy bike and offered me one for next year. We'll see about that I guess.

It helps to practice the transition once or twice before you enter the event. Going from the bike to the run is fairly simple as long as you have the same runners for biking as you do for running. (that would be me because I don't have cycling shoes). It is getting out of the water, drying off, taking off a wet suit if you had one one, putting your socks and shoes on, your helmet, etc. that can take a bit of time. It might help to have a friend on the beach to help with getting a wet suit off if you choose to wear one.

Where would you swim in May in Prince Albert? Surely not in a lake? I would consider entering that event if the swim was relatively short. I don't particulary like swimming and it is not my strong suit when it comes to athletic ability.

Back to your question about the triathlon in La Ronge. It is quite beautiful as a lot of the participants from Prince Albert and Saskatoon will attest to. The swim of course is in the lake. Thereafter, you hop on your bike and go north for 20 km to the Nemeiben Lake turn off where you jump off your bike and start running UPHILL for the first 4km of the 6km run at the Don Allen ski trails. This is also the place where the 60 km ski race called the Saskaloppet partly takes place. Anyway, the scenery and the run is beautiful and I love running that trail. It is truly an outdoor experience.

Speaking of running, I must get out the door to go for a walk/run type of deal this a.m. If you have more questions, ask away.

I hope this helped a bit.

Kim

Adding to the other recommendations on triathlon training books, one I like is Triathloning for Ordinary Mortals by Steven Jonas, many different training plans to fit your goals. After a few tris and a marathon, I would say when you are training for a tri, you get enough xtraining and won't find much time for videos. I try and keep 2 weight days a week in my schedule but not too heavy on my legs because they get enough work on the bike. I focus on my legs more in the winter off season.

My plan this year is to add something different to my workouts every week, my favorite being yoga or kickboxing. We'll see if I can squeeze this in when I start tri training on May 1st, but I really want to.

Go for it!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.