Calipers for calculating body fat percentage?

Carol122201

Cathlete
Hello to the Educated Crowd! I have a question. I know the definitive test for calculating body fat percentage is the dunking one, but if one doesn't have access to such a test, are there decent calipers out there that would accurately measure it, but won't cost me a month's worth of utility bills to buy? I know some health clubs use them, but I don't belong to one, and it's confusing with all the different brands out there. I've seen them priced anywhere from about $30 to over $300! I was just wondering if anyone knew of some that are fairly accurate, but don't cost a lot of money. TIA!

Carol
:)

Hi Carol!!

This is never that popular of a thread around here cuz most these ladies don't have much interest in testing body fat, but....

As you probably are aware, calipers are not very accurate. I have a bodyfat scale and that is even less accurate than the calipers. I have the Accu-track digital calipers that supposedly you can use on yourself, but I don't like them. I prefer to get mine tested around once per year just for my own FYI. Here in Phoenix, we have access to hydrostatic testing, so I usually go there but am interested in finding a Bod Pod. Look at this link...

http://www.exercise-equipment-review.com/body_fat_calipers.html

Also, is this place near you?

www.baselinefitness.com
The Bod Pod would be relatively inexpensive and very accurate. For a technical understanding of it, look here:

www.bodpod.com

Check at your local universities too. Many times they offer body fat testing (hydrostatic or bod pod) by appointment. The Bod Pod website lists Ohio State University Columbus and Ohio University Athens as clients. You may want to look into that if either of those are close to you.

Since exercising is a life long deal for me and I am not on a specific "diet", I prefer to test my BF less often but with a more accurate method (as opposed to with calipers every other week).

I hope this helps you some. I highly recommend getting your BF done either Bod Pod or water atleast once so you know how much each method differs.

Good Luck Carol!
Janice

Hi Janice and thanks! Your info helped a lot. I live near Cleveland in Ohio so OSU and OU are too far to drive for hydrostatic testing, but I'll check into the other large universities in this area. The place in Worthington sounds amazing, but again it's over a two hour ride from here. I'm glad you told me how inaccurate the calipers can be, because I wasn't sure. It also sounds like I'd have to spend way too much money to get a good pair, and if I didn't do the testing just right, I still wouldn't have an accurate measurement. I knew the scales were not accurate, and always wondered how on earth a scale could differentiate between measuring fat or muscle? I mean, they measure mass ... period ... unless I'm missing something here. I really appreciate your info because it sounds like the calipers are not the way to go for me. Thanks again!!

Carol

Carol,

Those "scales" actually send a low voltage current through you to measure lean body mass vs. fat. Muscle is a higher percentage water than is fat, and water conducts electricity better than fat. So, the scale determines how much/how fast (to put it non-technically) the current returns after it sends it through your feet and uses that data to estimate percentage body water and then uses mathematical equations to calculate percentage body fat.

So, it's actually a measure of body water. If you do it when you're dehydrated, you'll show up as having a higher percentage body fat. If you are retaining water for whatever reason, you'll show up as being leaner on the scale.

I think these could be useful to someone on a longterm basis, but I don't spend the $ on it. I just have a pair of jeans that I use to tell how my body is doing. I think the scale could be used first thing in the morning (so you'll always have about the same hydration level) every time and used as a way to monitor. It wouldn't be useful to give you an accurate number as far as your body fat, BUT, it could be helpful to help you determine progress. Kind of like an inaccurate body weight scale--you could still use it to see if you lose or gain over time even if the number isn't your actual weight.

Hope that makes sense. Basically, they can work for monitoring ups and downs (which is important) but not for definitive numbers on body fat percentage.

Ginger

Hi Ginger, and thanks for the info! I never understood how they claimed to measure body fat. That's kind of interesting, but like you said, not very useful for a really accurate measurement. I always weigh myself first thing in the morning, but I also know the scale can be affected by anything, so I look for overall trends instead of a day-to-day figure. They teach us on WW not to weigh every day for that very reason, and I've gotten out of the habit of doing so. It's too frustrating, unless you're really watching the trends and can understand why it changes so frequently. I'll be at goal in the morning when I weigh myself anyway, so I'm merely interested in maintaining now. I was only asking about the calipers because I was curious. I'll be 46 tomorrow, and I've lost over 50 pounds since last August! I've lost 38 of those since the end of April - in fact - tomorrow will make 6 months on WW. And, I've lost 6 whole sizes in that same time!! I have more muscle definition now than I have ever had! So, I was curious to find out if I could measure my own body fat percentage. Thanks again for the info! I really do appreciate it!!

Carol

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.