Calcium supplement question

Amni

Cathlete
I've purchased calcium supplements but had a couple of questions before I start taking them: when should I take them (am/pm)?, should I take them with my multi?, i know there are some supplements you shouldn't take with others or with certain foods does anyone know if there are foods/liquids I should not take my calcium supplement with?

Thanks for the input!

It's good to take calcium later in the day, because it can relax you. Also, taking it with vitamin D is recommended. Avoid taking iron and calcium together, because one impedes the absorption of the other (I forget which way it is right now).

Since your body can't absorb more than 500 mg at a time, you should break up your dosage into several doses. Take 500 mg at noon and 500 mg at p.m., for example.

Most common supplement is calcium carbonate and it is best absorbed with meals, so for example, you need about 1200-1500 mg/day, so take about one with each meal if you do not drink milk/eat yogurt or cheese. Calcium citrate is best absorbed in between meals.
Vit D is also important and often combined with calcium- need 800 miu per day.

I was told not to take my calcium supplements within 1 hr. of my multi vitamin by my doctor. Also if you are taking tablets they told me vitamin c may actually help it to dissolve. Otherwise I have read that vitamin c should not be taken with calcium. I use Avon's Calcium chews. It is one of the few that does not disagree with my stomach.
Diane Sue

I have also read that calcium should be taken with magnesium. Something like a 3/2 ratio. And I just want to let you know that calcium can be constipating. This was a HUGE problem for me - so much so that I don't take supplements. I do eat quite a bit of dairy (mainly skim milk, cottage cheese and yogurt)
-joy

Calcium citrate can be taken without food whereas calcium carbonate is best digested when taken with meals. Calcium supplements should not be taken with iron or multivitamin supplements which contain iron. Several nutrients along with calcium (magnesium, vitamin D, vitamin k, and boron,for example) contribute to good bone health. The following site is quite informative.

http://www.ypgot.com/calcium1.htm

We Catheites also get a boost on our bone health with the weights workouts. :)

Bea

Yes, I had that problem and my doctor had me increase the magnesium. Also if you can find supplements with calcium glutamate or calcium lactate in them that helps that problem. I got that from the Mount Sanai Book of Nutrition. It was under a reference for the elderly.
Diane Sue

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.