Cake Recipie from What to Expect the First Year book.

Cruncholi

Cathlete
Hi all.
Does anyone have the "What to Expect the First Year" book who would be willing to post the Carrot Cake recipie? I do not have the book, but would like to consider this cake for my DD's first birthday, which I have read a lot about.
Thanks in advance.

RE: Cake Recipie from What to Expect the First Year boo...

Hello,
My cousin gave me the book a couple of months ago. I will share the recipe with you. It looks delicious...I love carrot cake and this recipe looks like a winner to me. Enjoy! Happy First Birthday to your daughter!

Here's the recipe from the "What to Expect the First Year" book by Eisenberg, Murkoff, and Hathaway:
FIRST BIRTHDAY CAKE
Makes 1 double layer 9-in. square cake
2 1/2 cups thinly sliced carrots
2 1/2 cups apple juice concentrate (you will use slightly less than this)
1 1/2 cups raisins
Vegetable cooking spray
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup wheat germ
2 tablespoons low-sodium baking powder
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 whole eggs
4 egg whites
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)
1. Combine the carrots with 1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons of the juice concentrate in a medium size sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer, covered, until carrots are tender, 15-20 minutes. Puree in a blender or food processor until smooth. Add the raisins and process until finely chopped. Let mixture cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two 9-inch square cake pans with waxed paper and spray the paper with vegetable cooking spray.
3. Combine the flour, wheat germ, baking powder, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Add 1 1/4 cups juice concentrate, oil, eggs, egg whites, and vanilla; beat just until well mixed. Fold in the carrot puree and apple sauce. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans.
4. Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Cool briefly in the pans, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely. When cool, frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.

CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
1/2 cup apple juice concentrate
1 pound light cream cheese
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup finely chopped raisins
1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
1. Set aside 2 tablespoons of the juice concentrate.
2 Process the remaining juice concentrate, cream cheese, vanill, and raisins in a blender or food processor until smooth. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
3. Stir the gelatin into the 2 tablespoons juice concentrate in a small saucepan; let stand 1 minute to soften. Heat to boiling & stir to dissolve gelatin.
4. Beat the gelatin mixture into the cream cheese mixture until well blended. Regrigerate just until the frosting begins to set, about 30-60 minutes. Frost the cake.

Webbgirl

A man's health can be judged by which he takes two at a time...pills or stairs. - Joan Welsh

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.