CA people - I need some info please

jgarr44460

Cathlete
Is anyone familiar with Bakersfield CA? My son is in his graduate year of PT and has to pick his last clinical location. We are in NY and one of his few choices is Bakersfield CA. From the map I looked at I can't see anything near there that is remotely familiar. I worked in Sherman Oaks years ago and have a sister in San Francisco but of course they are not even close. Before we think about sending him out there does anyone know anything about the area? Safety? Size? Thoughts? He was just given his list and has to pick by Sept. 4th.
TIA for any help -

It is a smaller city. I lived in Fresno which wasn't too far. I can't remember a whole lot as I only went there a couple of times. It is close to LA I believe so he would have places to visit near that area that are bigger. As far as safety, I think it is pretty safe. I know I was too much help maybe some others will chime in!:)
LD

I live in Bakersfield, it is very safe, and it is a big town. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Thank you for the responses-
He wants to experience another part of the country to help him decide where he might want to live after graduation. I'm not sure this town will give him that, but I don't know. He would be going to The Centre for Neuro Skills - sound familiar?

Well, in CA there are various regions where each enjoy a unique climate. Bakersfield is in the inland valley and very hot and dry (think dessert like) in the summer. In the winter the smog can get bad there. And foggy too. I've never visited or lived in Bakersfield but we have stopped there many times to get gas while on our way to somewhere else. I'm sure this helps a lot! :)

I totally forgot about all the fog! I lived there, well Fresno, about 4 yrs ago. That fog was crazy. I think I read awhile back that alot of ppl from LA were moving to Bakersfield and commuting to LA because it was so much cheaper. I didn't realize that Bakersfield was large. I felt that Fresno was alot bigger.
LD

If your son is a hiker or rock climber - Bakersfield is the Gateway to the big mountains, like Mt Whitney (the tallest in the lower 48) and a host of other great hiking areas.

Its very hot and dusty, and it's not THAT big of a town, but it's not too small. It's only a few hours from LA, close to Las Vegas, and about 5 hours from San Francisco so there is plenty to do. And Yosemite is close. If he likes the outdoors at all, it's a great place to be. That being said, I would not pick it as a great place to live long term, but there are plenty of benefits to living there short term.

We live in a very rural area so from what you describe I am not sure this is the place for him even short term, but that is his choice. He does enjoy the outdoors. He will know no one when he gets there and spend 7 weeks for the affiliation. He usually looks for a place to meet people and unwind after their long hours, not necessarily places to travel - there isn't a lot of time for that.
Thank you for your responses - it has helped me to give him a sense of the area.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.