Butts and Guts...feedback please

Cathe Friedrich

Administrator
Hi Everyone! I'm looking for some feedback on the Butts and Guts DVD. If you have time, I'd love to hear your comments.

For those of you who have this DVD...please tell me the top 3 things you love most about it...and if you don't like it you can tell me that too, wink. What is the biggest change you saw? What exercise was your favorite? What premix was your favorite? How did you like the ab routines? Do you do it in its entirety or split it up? Do you use the premixes more than the original? Share anything you want, about this DVD ....thanks!

Hi Cathe!!

All I can say is this is one of my all time top workouts. I have doms for DAYS after this one. Time for a B&G2? :)

I thought I would post some random thoughts on this DVD. It is one of my favorite lower body workouts. I am always sore after doing it.

Firewalkers and the squat/lunge combo are my all time favorite exercises in this DVD. I like that there are floor exercises included with ankle weights. I probably use both the premixes and the workout as is equally. There is so much variety in the DVD with the two bonus sections for legs as well as core. I also like that it is a low weight/high rep workout. I also get to use my favorite "toys" in this workout, i.e. resistance band, barbell, stability ball.

The only suggestion I would have if you are going to make a Butts & Guts 2 is I would love to see more core exercises with the medicine ball and lying lower body exercises with the band. I love those, too.

Don't know if that helps. Overall, I give Butts & Guts a solid A. I absolutely love it!

I love it too and it is also one of my favorites. With that said, I must admit that I get tired of the lunges and squats - there has to be another way. BTW, love the band, more leg-band work please! Ditto on more core work using the medicine ball.

Last edited:
Hi Cathe!!

I love that dvd because it is so tough. I can't give you specifics right now because it's been a while since I've done it. I have been preoccupied with sts and all your other w/o's. I just know I'm going to have major doms after it, ( which is a good thing!!). Sorry not to be more helpful.:) Linda

I love the 1st exercise, walking lunges and plie squats. Although I dread them and I scream while doing them, I still LOVE THEM.
I also love the exercises with no weights
and the floor work, I love the last part with a non stop exercises that kills your butt legs

By the way, B&G is one of my favorites but I have to feel up to it because it is tough.
I am not sure the biggest change... I am sure that my butt is firmer and inner and outer thighs smaller (not only from B&G but definitely a big part)

I love doing the whole workout. But i also use the ab sections alone with add ons

Sometimes I use the Leg Blast Premix. But I prefer the whole workout or the weeks I am tires, I split standing and floor workout

I also like to add the floor workouts to cardio days.
I used it so much and in so many ways, it's hard to remember.

No matter how many times I use it, I always feel it the most the day after

I have to say, it's the workout I feel the most from all your DVDs the next day when I do it all or only the standing part

Talking about it makes me wanna do it. With STS, I haven't done it in a while... I might squeeze it in tomorrow.

can you see how much I love it?

My friends and family know about that workout and know its name. I talked about it so much

Hi Everyone! I'm looking for some feedback on the Butts and Guts DVD. If you have time, I'd love to hear your comments.

For those of you who have this DVD...please tell me the top 3 things you love most about it...and if you don't like it you can tell me that too, wink. What is the biggest change you saw? What exercise was your favorite? What premix was your favorite? How did you like the ab routines? Do you do it in its entirety or split it up? Do you use the premixes more than the original? Share anything you want, about this DVD ....thanks!

I love this dvd. I actually miss doing it while I'm doing STS, although I LOVE Sts.. so that is saying something.
First, I like the length. I like the fact that it is one workout, but my body never completely gets adjusted to it, because I can do the premixes. However, I usually do it in its entirety. It's very rare that I manage to get my full 90 minutes workout from one dvd. That is something that I love.
Another thing is that fact that you don't use the barbell very much. I love my barbell, but feel I lose pace when I have to keep hoisting it onto my shoulders. SO that's a big plus. I think that ties with the variety that I love, with the variety of equipment that you use.
I also LOVE tha abs sections. They are long, varied, and wondefully intense :) And not too many planks, so when my wrist is aching from push ups, I can still do this one!
I also love the pace, and the sequencing of exercises, because it's almost cardio, but not intense on the joints!

As for exercises:
I love the firewalkers, Glute squeeze, Those chop things that you do (which I knew what they were called) and those low static lunges
As for abs: I like the stability ball section, but I like the abs exercise when the dumbell is over your head, and we crunch our ankle weighted leggs and our weight down. I also love the twists with the weight: I like the weight LOTS, but prefer the exercises that aren't necessarily crunches.

The only exercises I don;t like: crunches with legs in the air, the one where you have your arms out and the ball between your legs and you have to lower your legs side to side.
Having said that, I wrote all the good points rapidly, and it took ages to think of a few bad points! He hee :)
Realllly love this dvd. And so nearly didn't get it!

I love Butts & Guts

This is definately one of my favorite if not my favorite. A few of my favorite things about the dvd... it doesn't require much equipment. It travels well, especially if using the Leg Blast premix. It really really works you without much equipment, I always get DOMS. Honestly, I usually break it up and just do the leg work since it's on the long side but I also use it for the ab section on it's own. Matter of fact, it's on tap for this afternoon for abs since I ran out of time for them this morning. I love the premixes also. I actually think the leg blast premix is harder then the dvd's original format. As for results.. I'm more of an apple shape so I don't focus or worry about my lower body much. I'm obsessed with ab definition and focus my attention on that and my arms usually but my husband commented that he noticed my legs and butt were much more defined. I'm very small and have a flat butt, I think this dvd in particular helped give it some shape and roundness! There is never a dread factor with this dvd. The only exercise I hate is the low plane lunges, they seem to bother my hip flexor but I'm sure it's my lack in form.

This workout is soooo tough Cathe. I mostly only do the Standing Leg Routine. I am usually spent after I get done with that portion.

Workout aside, I love the look of this workout. I love the red and black contrast and the super clean look of the set.

Thanks
Saundra

Hi Cathe!

This is the best leg workout ever put on DVD. I love the Leg Blast and Overall Legs premix.
I am doing this workout almost every week. I work my legs twice Monday Gym Style Legs, Legs and Glutes, Pyramid Lower Body, Low Max, PS Legs or SH legs and Friday or Saturday Butts and Guts. ;)
Love it. :)
Love the walking lunges, lunge squat combo, sqauts, one leg squats. And I love the (I call them) recovery exercises hummer punch lunges, side hummer lunges, deadlifts.
The floor exercises are killer that is why I love this DVD.
Oh and the bonus exercises and abs are great too.
So much variety in this DVD. Thanks Cathe.:)

Timea

A love/hate relationship

I love/hate Butts and guts. I don't do the entire dvd due to time constraints (which is good because I wouldn't be able to walk down the stairs after the entire program). I love the standing premix for legs and the abs on the ball. I truely believe doing butts and guts built up the strength and endurance in my legs help make the leg portion of STS (especially Meso 3) enjoyable and gave me the ability to be able to really focus on form and use heavier weight.

Love the ab exercises, obviously from above I'm more partial to the ball exercises.

I would love to see more premixes around the 30 to 40 minute mark. I love STS cardio for that fact. I'm a working mom and except for the weekends don't really have time to devote more than 45 minutes on a weekday workout.

It is definately one dvd that I have to psych myself up to do knowing it's going to literally kick my a**!:

I love this DVD and use it often. What I love about the DVD is :
1. I can use segments of this workout as add-ons to my cardio routine or other weightlifting routines. Because it is so well chaptered it is easy to pick and choose parts of the workout to suit my time frame.
2. The final stretch is wonderful!!! I often use this stretch after a cardio session.
3. Fun ball warm-up.
4. Good form pointers. Fun music.
5. Great variety of exercises.
6. Uses a good variety of equipment and non equipment exercises.
7. Great bonus work and premixes!
8. This workout feels very safe, yet effective.

Last edited:
Hi Cathe,

Another "butts and gutts" enthusiast here! I love that the workout starts with a warm up that's very different. Using the stability ball in the warmup steps it up a bit and gets the legs burning before the workout starts.

thumbs up to:
"little jumps"
crab firewalkers
lunge squat series w/o equipment

Oh, and it's always great when the simple task of walking seems impossible after a leg workout!!:p

I do use the ab section seperately as well when I need to add abs after another workout.

I'd love to see a sequel...wink!

I use Butts and Guts a lot!

+I love the variety of moves (some using equipment, others using just body weight) and the actual choice of moves (dead lifts, one legged squats on step, fire-walkers, donkey kicks, leg lifts etc.)

+I love that it has three sections to get at the butt/gut area from different angles: standing; floor glute work; floor core work

+I love both of the ab/core routines and am glad to have one that uses the stability ball

+I love that it has bonuses; I tend to do the three sections "as is," but I've done the all standing work several times as well

+I love the "red" theme

My only complaint: I wish there was a Butts & Guts Leg Press Mania that interspersed Leg Presses (like the Leg & Glute Leg Press Mania -- doesn't take anything out, just adds leg presses in -- I also use that one a lot). But, I often just add the Leg Press bonus after each section (yes, I'm tired at the end!)

I'd pre-order Butts & Guts 2 or Super Butts & Guts in a second -- just sayin' ;)

Last edited:
I love Butts and Guts! I haven't done it for awhile, so now I'm inspired to do it again ASAP! Whenever I do it, I do the entire workout. I love the variety and the way I have to practically crawl out of the room when I'm done!

I like Butts & Guts, but it's not my absolute favorite of your DVDs with a lower body focus. The things I do love about B&G are:
~the ab routines. I like that they're so different from each other, they're both tough, and they're both 15 minutes long. Great add-ons for after a run.
~the floor/leg exercises. They're tough, well-sequenced, and they hit all the leg and butt muscles really well.
~most of the standing routine. The main part of the workout includes a lot of excellent, tried-and-true exercises plus cool new innovative ones.

The reason I say B&G isn't my absolute favorite, however, is that I don't like low-ends and pulses, and I don't like reps, reps, reps, especially at faster speeds. This is one of the reasons I love the STS strength workouts for the legs, and Pyramid Lower Body as well. The reason is that my knees are a bit delicate due to all the running I do, and I've learned over the years that low-ends, pulses, and fast reps strain them too much.

All in all, though, B&G is a great all-around workout for the lower body. I would have been happy to have paid whatever I did for it just to have the ab and floor leg routines! But sometimes I do the standing part as well, but I modify.

Hope this feedback is useful!
Lurdes

Loved the premixes (almost better than the regular workout), stability ball abs, firewalkers, freestanding lunge/squat combo and definitely the stretch. I use the stretch portion a lot after other workouts.

Marcy

Cathe Butts and Guts is a gem. I love it!!! It truly shapes every single part of my lower body.

What I love.
The music
The switching from use of weights and no use of weights
The fact that it did not require a lot of equipment
Fun and challenging moves
The abs section FUN!!!

What I did not love
About the only thing I did not love was the time it takes to finish this workout.

Butts and Guts and Gym Style Legs are my all time favorite that I reccomend to EVERYONE!

Hi Cathe,

this is funny, I just did Butts&Guts again last night!!! It is my Number 1 favorite of your workouts (I now have 19 of your DVDs).

- I have seen huge improvements in my battle with cellulite (ugh)

- I usually do the whole thing through without adding any of the extras. (I keep forgetting how great the stability ball abs are; I think I have to start tacking that section onto other workouts)

- I love the fun factor of the workout. I don't think I would ever get bored with it.

- I love that it's done in two rounds, however the exercises are slightly modified the second time through (again - prevents boredom)

- love that it still has a bit of a cardio factor to it. I burn a ton of calories doing it

- love the mix of standing and floor work

- like somebody else said, it is the absolute best leg/glute workout that has ever been done, and I had tried several others (Janis Saffell, Chris Freytag, etc.) before I finally found Cathe!

- when Butts&Guts comes up in my rotation, I start saying it the day before and the day of. Like "today is Butts&Guts time", "Butts&Guts, Baby", "I gotta do "Butts&Guts!". My husband makes fun of me ;-)

- love the music!

- favorite exercises are one-legged squats, firewalkers, walking lunges, low-pulse lunges, pizza presses, modified hydrant, dead-lifts with toes up...really everything! I wouldn't leave a thing out! I never find myself fast forwarding. The variety really makes this workout so unique

Hope this helps...I don't post much, but when I saw you need feedback on my favorite workout I just had to respond.

Does this mean you're thinking about making Butts&Guts 2????? That would be so awesome!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.