butter or sugar?

aseay

Cathlete
which is worse? i made cornbread and instead of butter i put some blueberries in a blender with sugar-yummy

laura

My favorite sport nutritionist, John Berardi, recommends avoiding high fat combined with carbs. So you made the better choice.

Here is an exert from one of his articles.

"Avoid meals containing fats and carbs

Unfortunately, this is the typical meal of the Western diet. As a result, it's no wonder that obesity is an epidemic. Meals with a high carbohydrate content in combination with high-fat meals can actually promote a synergistic insulin release when compared to the two alone. High fat with high-carb meals represent the worst possible case scenario.

Now, some people have argued that fat lowers the glycemic index of foods and should therefore be included in carb meals. But remember, the glycemic index only gives a measure of glucose response to a meal, not insulin response. And sometimes the glucose responses to a meal and the insulin responses to a meal aren't well correlated. So although you might be slowing the rate of glucose absorption into the blood by adding fat to your meals, you'll promote high blood levels of fats, carbs, and insulin. And that's a no-no! "

Here is the link to the entire article.

http://johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/masseating_2.htm

substituting one for the other is bound to get you in troule over time. Just use portin control. (Unless you are diabetic then sugar obviously is a problem)

Check out this book: IN DEFENSE OF FOOD by Michael Pollen

[font color=lime green][font size +3]Judy "Likes2bfit"
[font color= orange] Eat food, not much, mostly plants~ Michael Pollen[/font]

http://www.picturetrail.com/jafitmama

>Personally, I think they are both fabulous!:7

LOL! Me too! I will never give up my butter. Everything in moderation!!

Sparrow
"The winds of grace are always blowing but it's you who must raise your sail." - Sri Ramakrishna

<Avoid meals containing fats and carbs>
Actually you need a little fat (I prefer the healthy fats myself) to absorb nutrients and you need healthy carbs (like veggies!!) to you know, poop and stuff (among other things).

><Avoid meals containing fats and carbs>
>Actually you need a little fat (I prefer the healthy fats
>myself) to absorb nutrients and you need healthy carbs (like
>veggies!!) to you know, poop and stuff (among other things).
>

One of John's rules in the 7 habits of highly effective eating is to include a healthy fat source with every meal.
If you read the entire paragraph John was referring to starchy carbs not veggies. He doesn't consider fruit and veggies to have a high carbohydrate content.

I thought butter wasn't one of the "good fats" though?? I thought that was more on the lines of olive oil, avocados etc. If it's ok then great! I LOVE butter! lol. just curious. I try not to eat too much butter but I use of olive oil regularly.
I don't think I could eat cornbread without a bit of butter though. ;) The fruit sounds interesting. Personally, I don't worry about sugar if it's coming from a natural source like blueberries. And if that bit of sugar you added was it for the day I wouldn't think twice either. I just try to avoid eating alot of sugar/sweets in general.

JB doesn't really exclude any food.

Here is an outline of his 7 habits.
http://johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/7habits.htm
Habit #5
Ensure that 25-35% of your energy intake comes from fat, with your fat intake split equally between saturates (e.g. animal fat), monounsaturates (e.g., olive oil), and polyunsaturates (e.g. flax oil, salmon oil).

They are very easy to follow and does not exclude any food group. I think it's more like nutrient timing:)

Well, butter doesn't have much to offer nutritionally besides fat, and sugar doesn't have anything to offer besides calories from carbs.

For a healthier fat substitute, you could spread your cornbread with mashed avocado or a nut butter (both are high in fat, but offer more nutrients than butter).

For sugar, try agave nectar (the blueberries would taste good with that, and it's liquid rather than granular, so the consistancy blended would probably be better).

Actually, as Kathryn mentioned, the agave nectar reminds me of honey and that would be fabulous on cornbread. Even if you mix in a little butter, or perhaps almond butter or PB?

Peanut butter on cornbread? My grandmother just turned over in her grave! (Make that both of my grandmothers.)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.