Burning calories?

glocklady

I'm trying to up my cardio to burn calories. I was wondering approximately how many calories can I burn doing the new Basic Step dvd for 30 mins?
Thanks.

there are way too many variable to answer that!

calories burned depends on your weight, your activity level and your metabolism.

someone who is 5'0" and weighs 100 pounds is going to burn a lot less calories than someong who is 5'5" and weighs 200 pounds!

i have a heartrate monitor that tells me what i burn. i did basic step and upper body and the two combined burned 217 calories for me. i'm 5'2" and weigh 112. i also workout every day and cycle.. so my activity level is high.

Hi Glocklady! Desertbriez is right, however, for guestimation purposes know that if you are working out moderately you are burning roughly 5 or 6 calories a minute. If you are working out intensly you are burning about 9 to 10 calories a minute. If you are pushing your lactate threshold (all out breathing heavy) you can be burning 15 to 20 calories a minute (in some extreme cases more). Of course you need to remember these are simply approximations. Take Care!

Thanks for the info, I have been thinking about getting a heartrate monitor, but there are so many I don't know where to begin. Can you recommend one that works well?
Glocklady

Cathe,
Thanks for responding, that gives me some idea of how to gauge it. My exercise of choice had been walking but I don't feel like I'm burning enough fat. Then I just recently started using the New Basic Step for Beginners and it has me sweating like I've never done before. I wanted to get the most out of my 30 minutes.
By the way, Thanks for making this Basic Step. I've tried other workout tapes before this one and could never figure out what they were doing. I always felt like I was starting in the middle somewhere.(And would only end up marching in place for most of the video.) I've done the Basic Step 6 times and already know what's coming next. And you know what? After using the other videos for 3 months, only now do I know what a "repeater" is. Thanks for making everything so clear!
-Slow Learner
(Glocklady)

polar makes (in my opinion) the best heart rate monitors.

i started out with an a5. it worked great for me.. however doesn't start counting calories until your HR reaches 100 (so abs and less intense workouts you don't get a calorie count.

others have mentioned the M series.

i now us my s720i. it starts counting calories when my heart rate gets to 90. however.. it is a cycling computer/HRM and pricey. i just turn off the bike functions when i'm working out off the bike.

the a5 you should be able to find for around 89. not sure about the m series!

have fun!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.