building cardio endurance

slwitt

Cathlete
What is the best way to build up endurance? It seems when I try to do intense cardo, like IMAX 2, there's no way I could do the whole thing at once, I'm lucky to get through half of it and even then I am taking a couple of breaks. I get to breathing so hard I can't catch my breath. I guess I am struggling with how to control my breathing when the workout becomes intense. Any suggestions that could help me increase my endurance?

not cathe, obviously, but just to give you my personal experience. when i first got Imax2 and tried it, i just laughed at myself and thought...there is no way to get through this workout....(i also thought cathe was a little crazy with workouts like this. :p) i would have to stop on alot of the blasts, once i got to interval 5 - 10, and wait for the next interval to begin. but i kept at it and kept doing as much as i could. it took many tries and lots of patience with myself, but i finally was able to complete it. i would set a goal to get to interval 4 in one workout, then 5, and so on until i completed the entire thing. it is an incredible feeling of accomplishment to finish one of cathe's interval workouts. just keep working at it, and dont beat yourself up if it takes months to complete the entire thing. the journey is the most important part of the experience. reaching the goal is the cherry on top...

gayla

not cathe, obviously, but just to give you my personal experience. when i first got Imax2 and tried it, i just laughed at myself and thought...there is no way to get through this workout....(i also thought cathe was a little crazy with workouts like this. :p) i would have to stop on alot of the blasts, once i got to interval 5 - 10, and wait for the next interval to begin. but i kept at it and kept doing as much as i could. it took many tries and lots of patience with myself, but i finally was able to complete it. i would set a goal to get to interval 4 in one workout, then 5, and so on until i completed the entire thing. it is an incredible feeling of accomplishment to finish one of cathe's interval workouts. just keep working at it, and dont beat yourself up if it takes months to complete the entire thing. the journey is the most important part of the experience. reaching the goal is the cherry on top...

gayla

Way to go Gayla!

A step (literally) at a time!!!

What is the best way to build up endurance? It seems when I try to do intense cardo, like IMAX 2, there's no way I could do the whole thing at once, I'm lucky to get through half of it and even then I am taking a couple of breaks. I get to breathing so hard I can't catch my breath. I guess I am struggling with how to control my breathing when the workout becomes intense. Any suggestions that could help me increase my endurance?

Hi Slwitt! Hang in there, you are going to finish Imax2 one day...I just know you are :D

As far as building up endurance for IMAX 2, or any workout in general, you can lower the intensity and gradually work your way up. Never feel that if you don't do the workout as is, it is not effective. Any time you are challenged, it IS effective. So all this time that you have been working up to finishing your workouts, you have actually already been hard at work building your endurance.

Some tips to help (try any or all if you like):

1) Each time you do a given workout and you get to the point where you really want to stop, back off of the intensisty and try to go 30 seconds to a minute longer. Those 30 seconds will add up and eventually you will make it to the end of the workout. This is, of course, only if you are able too. Listen to your body.

2) Instead of stopping when you get too winded, stop that particular activity and walk around for about 15 to 20 seconds and let your heart rate recover and then go back to the activity. Do this as many time as needed in the course of the workout.

3) Do only half the workout (or as much of the workout as you physically can).

4) If it is a step workout, lower the step height or just do the workout on the floor (you can use a yoga mat to simulate your step on the floor so you don't get confused where your feet should be).

5) Lower the overall intensity of the workout by eliminating any advanced moves such as jumping, running, shuffling, etc.

Good Luck!

Thank you for the advice, Cathe (and Slwitt, for asking). The cardio stuff always gets me. I tend to focus too much on weight training and always have such a hard time with cardio routines. My heart goes wild.

Good question, thanks for posting! I get so winded during certain cardio workouts, like at the end of the second to last segment of KPC, I always have to stop and gasp for air for a while before completing the workout.

Thank you for the advice, Cathe (and Slwitt, for asking). The cardio stuff always gets me. I tend to focus too much on weight training and always have such a hard time with cardio routines. My heart goes wild.

So does mine. It could be because I'm an ex-smoker. :eek:

Thanks Cathe for the tips! When I do IMAX 2 I just use the step without the risers, don't think I am ready for them quite yet. I think if I try walking around or do another activity instead of stopping that will help me. My tendancy is always wanting to stop.

Even though I haven't mastered IMAX 2 yet, I just want to tell you how grateful I am for your DVD's. They have kept me motivated and challenged. I am just trying to lose 8 more pounds, so I am at a level that I can just maintain my weight. I have lost a total of 45 pounds doing your workouts, and never thought I would be back down to a size 12. Thank you very much!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.