build strength and THEN lose fat or vice versa?

Makes sense. Thanks for the reply.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." Mark Twain ;-)

>So in a 3-6 month period, what sort of rotation would you
>suggest to accomplish this "build then lean out" strategy?
>also what sort of diet/calories?

Cbelle, this is my general outline:
Nov-Feb - bulking - 2100-2400 cals.
Mar-June - leaning - 1400-1600 cals.
July-Oct - maintenance - 1800 cals., give or take

We have long, drawn-out summers here in TX so I scheduled my leaning out and maintenance cycles during the hot months so I'm not walking around with flab. ;-) Also, I eat so much more during the holidays, soon after Halloween, so for me, it makes sense to use this time period to bulk out.

This is a very general outline and not set in stone. As far as "diet" goes, I'm more conscious of how much protein I take in, more than anything. I also noticed that as time went on, I needed even more than usual. I started out needing only about 80 grams a day (I followed the one gram per pound of lean mass) and that worked, BUT there came a time when I noticed it was no longer working for me. When I increased my protein to 100-110 grams a day (a gram per pound of body weight), whether or not I'm bulking out, I noticed a big difference. These are things that you have to look out for as you go along. Things are never set in stone, and your nutrition needs might change as you gain more muscle. Also, keep in mind that what works for one may not work for another -- I know this is said a lot on these boards. I know Shonie has a leaner, meaner, more muscular body than I have, so her calorie and protein needs, as well as her workout routine, are probably different than mine.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Rogue, Dani and Shelley -- thanks for the compliments. Right back atcha. Y'all rock my socks. I wish I can do half the things you ladies do. :)

Pinky

I also advise you to take whatever Shonie and Pinky say regarding muscles as the GOSPLE TRUTH!

jes;-)

Pinky:
Your neighbor from Flower Mound here!

I have learned so much from this thread and especially from your post!!
I actually printed it off! I have been far to consumed with "losing weight" and have wondered why I have only put on a little muscle.

I am going to try your general outline. I usually eat about 1400-1600 calories per day. I guess you probably can't build much muscle on that!

Anyway, it would really help me if you could give me an idea how your workouts differ (or if they do) between the three phases you described.

I appreciate any help your willing to give.

Thanks.

http://www.picturetrail.com/luckeelaydee

Paula

Pinky is being too modest. She looks AWESOME. She knows what she's talking about! And the general guideline she gave is DEAD ON! I actually follow much the saem bulking/leaning/maintenance schedule she posted -- although, of course, I have my setbacks just like everyone else.

Her comment about the protein is great! I'm telling you, if you increase your protein intake -- you will see a HUGE difference. For years, I trained JUST AS MUCH as I do now and ate around the same number of calories...but didn't even look like I worked out. Increasing my protein and decreasing carbs (the bad ones) has made a huge difference.

Shonie

Can you get even more specific on actual rotations for the different phases, using Cathe videos? In other words, do all my work for me? :) I'm really interested in this!

Now Cbelle, she's not doing ALL your work for you. She is just sharing from her vast wealth of knowledge!
I hope for both our sakes she is willing to share!! I just know what I'm doing now isn't hurting, but not getting exactly the results I wanted, either. I want Leaner "muscles", not just to be smaller all over.
Good luck.

Uh-oh, did I get myself into a hole here? ;-)

I don’t follow any rotations. I usually have general guideline, based on Cathe’s older and more recent rotations. I always peek at what she has at the start of every month to see if it gels with what I want to do. If it doesn't, I do a search on other kinds of rotations and go from there. Sometimes I get bored and switch to another series, and sometimes my knees act up, and I have to get rid of the cardio altogether. Also, I train my upper and lower body differently because I’m pear shaped. I go heavy for upper, use endurance for lower. For most of the year, I use endurance workouts for my lower body.

In a very rough nutshell, and using Cathe’s workouts:

bulking: PS series, Gym Styles, S&H (I don’t use this more than 3 weeks at a time), Pyramids (longer rests between sets), CTX-UB, Cathe’s May 2005 rotation. Cardio is 2-3 times a week, shorter and gentler sessions. I break down PUB and CTX-UB so that I’m doing only 1-2 body parts per session – gotta let the body rest.

leaning: circuit-type workouts like Bootcamp, C&W, Circuit Max, SJP; all high step workouts; the Terminator workouts – to keep myself from getting bored, I alternate a week of these with a week of endurance training, or two weeks of these and two weeks of endurance, whatever suits my fancy and however much time I can devote to working out; when doing an endurance-type week, I scatter cardio workouts throughout the week, mostly steady state cardio and kickboxing

maintenance: variety training using different segments from different Cathe workouts, making sure to hit each body part twice a week with moderate weight and do three cardio sessions (that’s as much as my knees can handle). Every 2-3 weeks, go back to heavy weights.

I wish I could be clearer than this, but if there’s one thing you should know about the way I see fitness is this: it’s just a little part of my life, and I work it around everything else. I can’t be too strict on myself regarding workouts and eating, otherwise I won’t do this at all. I started out trying to heal my back, which gave out after carrying my baby all day everyday, and not look like a fitness model or compete in a fitness show – these are totally different scenarios which require a totally different set of rules and ways of eating and training, IMHO. So I’m all for moderation and whatever keeps me motivated. I have periods when I slip. Like these days, I’m too busy to focus on eating well enough to lean out. So I’m starting over all the time. :) Also, so much of this I learned through trial and error, and I know that as I get older, I’ll have to tweak things so that I can reach my goals yet still keep it safe, since I have bad joints. So there’s even more trial and error ahead. ;-) Do your research, try things out, do what works for you. That’s it.

Paula, we should meet for coffee sometime. I’d love to meet you. Goodness.. you’re what? About five miles away from me?

Cbelle, if you have more questions, feel free to e-mail me. Thanks.

Pinky :)

Alright so let's see

Leaning: circuit or endurance weight workouts (i.e. Powerhour, SS, PP) plus cardio of course (6x/week????)

Bulking: PS, SH, PUB/PLB, CTX weights (kind of surprised by that actually), Gym Styles

Maintenance: Basically do a little bit of everything, and particularly I would think things like MIS, SS, PP MMax and ME would be good here. Plus cardio of course.

How often would you suggest cardio during the leaning vs bulking phases? What about the CTX series as a whole? good for leaning?

This is awesome info!

Thanks so much !
I'm fairly new to Cathe and this will really help me know when to use what type of workout.

Yes Pinky I'm surprised I haven't run into you at the Kroger and known you from your picture! I run into everyone at the Kroger LOL.
If you ever want to meet at Starbucks I'm game.

http://www.picturetrail.com/luckeelaydee

Paula

I'm loving this thread. This is exactly the type of things I was wondering about.

Question for Pinky, Shonie, or anyone else--how much weight do you typically put on during your bulking phase?

and along the lines of that question, when you put on "weight" while bulking, does it affect your size?

Yes, Cbelle... that's just about right. As for CTX-UB split, I use that for both bulking and endurance. When I use that for bulking, I heavy up on the weights and take longer rests. There is no way I can do it at Cathe's pace when I go much heavier.

I do less cardio when bulking -- 1-2 sessions a week. When leaning, 3-5, depending on how much my knees can handle. Yes, CTX is for leaning out, as a whole. I know there are quite a few ladies here who've lost a lot of weight with just CTX. I seldom use the cardio part of CTX. It's getting to be too high-impact for me. The UB split, LL and the ab collection gets a lot of use though.

Pinky

As of this last cycle, I gained 4 lbs. I usually gain a little more. And yeah, it goes mostly around my butt, in my thighs, and a little around my waist -- you know, places where you don't really want the bulk. ;-) Don't be afraid to gain weight when bulking. It's normal to gain some fat with the muscle. And when leaning out, it's normal to lose muscle with the fat. Like Shonie said, it all depends on how much muscle you want to put on, and how much you want to keep once it's time to lean out.

Pinky

Yeah, it IS a small world. And I get to live near Shonie! :) This is why I wasn't so bent on moving to Frisco last year. Are you kidding? Who's going to kick my butt when I need it? ;-)

Pinky

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.