Broken Ankle

fossey

Cathlete
So, I broke my ankle on June 27 and have been wearing an air cast since. Yesterday I had my 4 week xray and my doctor called me today to tell me I have to wear the aircast for another 4 weeks. :(
So bummed, can't run, bike or even go for a walk, no cardio at all or lower body workouts.
I'm thinking I might start Meso 1 and just do the upper body workouts, but double up on them. Week 1: disc 1, disc 2, disc 1, disc 2; week 2: disc 3, disc 4, disc 3, disc 4.
What do you think, is this a good idea? I can't stand the thoughts of not working out for another 4 weeks.

Last edited:
Hi there...I so feel your pain...! I broke my shoulder 3 weeks ago and can do absolutely nothing- to allow the ball joint to heal properly without any jostling....if you can do upper body work absolutely safely I would go for it and keep your upper body strong...I sure wish I could!

The most strenuous activity I can get is typing with one hand and walking to the bathroom:eek:

Hi there...I so feel your pain...! I broke my shoulder 3 weeks ago and can do absolutely nothing- to allow the ball joint to heal properly without any jostling....if you can do upper body work absolutely safely I would go for it and keep your upper body strong...I sure wish I could!

The most strenuous activity I can get is typing with one hand and walking to the bathroom:eek:

Ouch Tracy! Sorry to hear about your broken shoulder.
It's amazing how addictive working out is, and how you can't stand not being able to do a workout. I hope your shoulder heals quickly for you.

Ouch Tracy! Sorry to hear about your broken shoulder.
It's amazing how addictive working out is, and how you can't stand not being able to do a workout. I hope your shoulder heals quickly for you.

Absolutely, fossey! Before I was injured I was working out at least 10 hrs a week and loving it...it was a stress and boredom buster,....I definitely went through some tears and grieving when I realized my situation (now I am working on being thankful I didn't break my neck or back and am not paralyzed!:))...I hope you heal soon too,,...and thanks!

Hi fossey and Tracey!

Another injured person checking in! Tracey and I have communicated on another thread about how awful it is to be so active and sustain a broken bone. It completely alters your life in every way.

I broke my right wrist falling over my step during a step routine back in May. I wore a cast for 5 weeks and an arm brace for 3 weeks. I am one week out of the arm brace now. I don't think I was prepared for how much rehab I would need after the fact. I've never broken a bone before, so this is all new to me.

I am still trying to regain movement and flexibility in my hand and wrist. It is stiff and painful and I would say I still only have about 50% of my range of motion back. I am going to therapy 3 days a week for a while.

I never did stop running with my injury, although running was tough. I had to quit my weight workouts of course, and could only do other workouts with modifications. As of now, I am back lifting weights, but so far can only use 5 lbs with the bad arm.

Good luck with your ankle. It will be a long journey back to good health, but you can do it. My advice...be careful with whatever workouts you do. You DO NOT want to cause that bone to separate and end up longer in the cast. It was really hard for me to scale back, but I knew if I didn't behave, I'd regret it.

Tracey, how are you holding up? How much longer for you?

Last edited:
Hi

Another injured person checking in lol. I had an arthoscopy on Monday on my right knee so I'm out of action at the moment. Just doing light walking. Although the weather is so nice all I can do is walk around the block.

Oh well, we'll all be up and IMAXing soon with the best of them. Hope everybody feels better soon.

Laura

Awww!!! That stinks! I just took a tumble on Tuesday, I fell up some stairs and I was really lucky that I didn't break anything, but I am waiting until the swelling in my toes, ankle, and knee subsides. I don't think the Michelin man works out.:p

I hope you gals feel better soon. My surgeon told me (many years ago.) to use ibuprofen, ice it, and to get vit. D so either milk or sunlight, and enough calcium. Those things were supposed to help and I was able to go back to work in 3 months after shattering my right foot's toes into so many pieces they couldn't tell how many there were!

Hugs!!!

Alisha

So, I broke my ankle on June 27 and have been wearing an air cast since. Yesterday I had my 4 week xray and my doctor called me today to tell me I have to wear the aircast for another 4 weeks. :(
So bummed, can't run, bike or even go for a walk, no cardio at all or lower body workouts.
I'm thinking I might start Meso 1 and just do the upper body workouts, but double up on them. Week 1: disc 1, disc 2, disc 1, disc 2; week 2: disc 3, disc 4, disc 3, disc 4.
What do you think, is this a good idea? I can't stand the thoughts of not working out for another 4 weeks.

I'm sorry to hear about your ankle. :( I say if you feel up to doing STS then go for it!! A lot of the standing moves in STS you can do sitting down to remove any added stress on your ankle. I'd pay close attention to your body, though, and if you start to feel pain in your ankle or just plain worn out then slow down a little bit. I completely understand your desire to workout but you want to also allow your body to heal. Good luck!!!

I was just thinking about you Ms. Tracy and wondering how you were doing. We all miss you bunches over at the STS check-in! How much longer until you get the green light to workout?? Is the shoulder still causing you excessive pain? I saw on another thread that you were reading the first Outlander book. What do you think of it? I adore the Outlander series. In fact, I just re-read the second book and am getting ready to start on the third book. If ANY good comes out of your broken arm/shoulder it is that you got a chance to read Outlander. ;) :)

Hi

Another injured person checking in lol. I had an arthoscopy on Monday on my right knee so I'm out of action at the moment. Just doing light walking. Although the weather is so nice all I can do is walk around the block.

Oh well, we'll all be up and IMAXing soon with the best of them. Hope everybody feels better soon.

Laura

Hope your knee heals quickly Laura.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.