Bringing up the Rear Check-In

So Saturday was a lazy day hoping to get over my cold but it didn’t work. Sunday I did do start month 4 of Get Glutes: TGU 3x2@10, JDL 1x8@65,1x5@75,1x5@85, 1LegHT 3x15 superset w/ AmHT 3x8@155,165,175, pu/row combo 2x8@20, band seated abduction holds 2x30 sec., and rack/overhead carry 2x60 sec @ 20. The rest of the day was spent being lazy and watching the snow and wind blow. Monday work got cancelled because it was in the negative teens with windchills in the negative 40s. Super cold!!!! I wanted to do Afterburn Monday but my cough was pretty bad so I just was lazy. Today work delayed opening until 10. I appreciated another day of sleeping in and got my 2nd month 4 GG workout in: Pause Squat 3x5@65,75,75 (um those are harder than I imagined), Sumo DL (subbed for Conventional)3x3@155,155,165, 45 Degree Hypers 2x20 (need to add weight next time because these felt crazy easy), chin-ups 2x5, narrow grip incline bp 2x8@65, long lever RKC plank 1x30 seconds. Then I added on 30/30. I still had a cough this morning but I think pushing myself to do 30/30 helped me cough up a lot of junk (sorry if that grosses anyone out).

Amanda I am right there with you on being out of shape. I thought I was going to die during 30/30 this morning. I had to take extra breaks to get through it. I think the week off and my cold really did a number to me.

Kate Those are outstanding numbers you are putting up on GG! You are definitely getting strong. I am super impressed with how much you are lifting.

Carolyn It’s amazing how quickly we lose our cardio and our strength. I think you will get it back quick though. Definitely try adding in hip thrusts or glute bridges 2 or 3 times a week, that should keep those babies firing back there!

Everyone Stay warm and safe during this crazy winter weather!

Have a great day!

Today I did GS Legs, 3x20 fast GB at 65lbs and Stretch Max- I felt like I needed a lot more stretching....my legs and glutes are so tired...I think I'm in trouble for tomorrow!

Julie I'm sorry you're still sick; I still have some congestion but I'm getting there.

Still really cold here; and no work again today. Back to it tomorrow I think we're supposed to get up to 10 tomorrow yippee

Have a good day!

Hi !
Tonight I did Afterburn and then tried to stretch out . Will have to work harder on the stretching ...
I understand how you guys feel - taking time off is so important but it's amazing how quickly things start to slide . Everyone will be back up to speed in no time - promise !
Carolyn ,
I find that the cardio does go fast - I was shocked when I was able to do it again and saw how out of breath I got . It's good that you're adding in the glute work too because , I don't know about you but mine are really lazy . It all comes back fast though , and you're doing great !
Julie ,
I find that working out can help me with that chest stuff too [ and no, it's not gross . ] No body would ever know you were sick by those numbers - they're amazing ! Thanks for the encouragement - I'm still trying to push my upper body - and Slow & Heavy really helped there - but there's a long way to go . I'm terrible at those Divebomber push ups ! Sorry that chest cold is hanging on . Plus , those temps are insane - be careful !
Amanda ,
You can always get a good stretch with that goofy Eoin Finn ! I like to make fun of him but about a week ago my lower back , leg and hips were so tight that I couldn't work them out on my own . I did Magically Hips and felt GREAT afterwards , so I can't knock him too much .
Be careful out there !

This morning I did Afterburn Double Trouble Premix. Made it all the through with only taking 1 mini break. We had a heat wave this morning at 4 degrees—that’s +4 degrees this time not negative. Whoo hoo!

Amanda It seems like the cough and congestion lasts forever. That’s nice that you got yesterday off. I bet doing Stretch Max after GSL felt heavenly.

Kate I am terrible at stretching. I wish I could let myself have an entire day each week devoted to stretching. I bet it would really help me perform even better. I am not looking forward to the Divebomber pushups.

Have a great day!

Hi guys !
I've been looking through Cathe's total body dvd's that I have but haven't done yet . I'm looking to do a couple of TB workouts a week plus GG . I have , Superset/Push Pull , Power Hour/ MIS and High Reps [ which I've done a few times ] . Besides the last one , they do all seem to be really high rep which don't love . I did STS Total Body today and it moves so fast ! Maybe I'll like it the more I do it ? I could also just cycle back and do the other heavier weight rotations . Too many choices ! Does anyone have any favorites or suggestions ?
Julie ,
You've got great upper body strength so I'll bet you're great at those push -ups . I think I remember that you don't like Yoga but I always feel so much better after a good w/o . I promise myself I'll keep it up then keep putting it off . I also love Stretch Max . +5 degrees YAY ! Same here in NY .
Carolyn ,
Yikes ! I think my mom had a neuroma and it really hurts ! How are you working out with one ? What can you do for it ? I hope it calms soon . My knee is doing okay , I can do a lot more in terms of working out as long as I keep it low impact and watch my form like crazy . How are you doing with the step and higher impact Cathe workouts ?
Have a good and warm night !

My legs were talking to me today after GS Legs yesterday!! Today was Flextrain; I didn't do the leg drills from Kick Max...didn't have enough time, I had to work late tonight plus I don't think I would be able to walk tomorrow if I did that with the way my legs feel right now!

Kate do you have Muscle Max that's my favorite total body? I agree STS Total Body seems to move too fast. I feel like there isn't enough warm up either. I wouldn't mind another total body from Cathe, sometimes I want to add one in during the week for an extra day of everything. Super Sets and Push Pull are good ones too; I haven't done those for awhile. If you're feeling really crazy you could do Pyramid upper and lower together...yowza those always get me good!

I don't have Power Hour/MIS

I totally need to do more stretching I'm always feeling tight especially in my hips from sitting at a desk I guess.

Carolyn I'm sorry to hear about your foot; I hope you feel better soon sounds really painful.

Julie Double Trouble Afterburn?!... you must bee feeling better! :)

We got up to 10 today weeeeeeeeeeeeee

Have a good night!

No workout this morning for me. I am feeling better and think my cold is pretty much gone but I could not sleep last night. I ended up going to bed 2 hours late and then tossed and turned all night. Hopefully tonight I can sleep better.

Carolyn Oh that doesn’t sound good about the neuroma in your foot. I hope you feel better soon and can start walking pain free again. I have Lastics too but have never done it. I intended to over the holiday break but then got sick and felt like throwing me a pity party for that instead.

Kate I really like Supersets and Push Pull and Muscle Max that Amanda suggested. I don’t remember those being too high rep. Not like High Reps and Power Hour which are really high rep. I don’t like high rep either. Anything over 12 reps has me running for the covers.

Amanda I would love Cathe to do more total body DVDs but I want her to focus on compound moves with little to no isolation moves and I want them to be 45 minutes long. I know I am wishing for the moon here but still.

Did you guys see that Marianne is leaving Get Glutes? I am so sad. I love her voice and I know she comes up with some weird moves but they are different and fun to try. Plus it is neat watching her work out because she has impeccable form and always makes the weird moves look fluid and smooth.

Have a great day!

So speaking of Muscle Max, that's what I did today. I'm going to be traveling this weekend-had to cancel our last Christmas get together last weekend because of the weather. So I might not get a workout in tomorrow and definitely not Saturday- I decided to do total body today to squeeze in both upper body w/o's and I'll try to do CCC on Sunday if I have enough time.

Carolyn I can't imagine doing any kind of workout with that pain, hope it gets better!

Julie hope you sleep better tonight!

That's sad Marianne is leaving GG :(

Have a good night!

Morning !
Last night I did ," Low Max " 70+ mins of cardio and I forgot how much I missed the step [ even if LM isn't my absolute favorite ] I was sweating hard within 17 mins ! [ I know it's crazy but I actually checked ... ] I tried it because I really needed a days break from my upper body , which was hurtin' bad and the metabolic w/o's always have those UB weights to deal with . The good news - my knee did alright ! It feels good this am too , so maybe I'll try it once a week ? [ I also feel asleep on the couch after dinner which NEVER happens YAY ! ]
Thanks so much for your suggestions ! I LOVE Muscle Max and will add that one back in . And I'll try Push/Pull too [ I though I remembered one of them going over 20 reps and THEN doing pulses - but I could be mixed up - I previewed a lot of them ... ]
Amanda ,
I read that about Marianne too . She's going to Saudi Arabia .
Julie ,
I actually put a frown - y face next to STS Total in my notes ! [ Yes , I'm still 5 years old ... ] That's a great idea putting P UB+LB into 1 w/o . And I do really like High Reps - I've found that I can do it with pretty heavy weights and get a killer w/o .
Carolyn ,
It's good that you can work on your upper body until your foot calms down - sort of what happens when our knees get demanding !

Here I am up at almost 4 am and had to correct 80 % of my spelling in this post ...
Better go eat and have more coffee !

Have a good day !

Last edited:
I got much better sleep last night. I woke up a few minutes before my alarm so I just went ahead and got up. I did Get Glutes: bridges 2x5@165,1x20@65; 1 arm body row 3x8 (wow these are tough), step up/reverse lunge 3x8@12, db shoulder press 3x12@20, palloff walkout 3x5 (switching these to firewalkers next time), stab ball toe tap 3x10, side lying hip raise 2x10. So happy today is Friday!!

Carolyn I’m so sorry about your foot. That doesn’t sound pleasant at all. I did a lot of upper body work when I broke my foot and was in a cast for 4 weeks and a boot for another 4. I think that really helped me increase my upper body strength but I was sure frustrated I couldn’t do cardio and the only lower body work I could do was lying leg raises. Take care of yourself so you can heal.

Amanda MM is good. That was my first total body weight workout and I can remember having trouble doing the lower body stuff holding 10 pound dumbbells when I first started. Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Kate I used to love Low Max but haven’t done it in ages probably because it is kind of long. That is awesome that your knee did good with the workout. I checked my workout sheets. For PP, the longest rep is for the squats at 16 plus a 3 count pulse done 4 times plus 4 3-count low ends. For SS, the longest rep is the 1-leg squat with 20 plus a 7 count pulse done 4 times.

Have a great weekend ladies!

Today was CCC and I made it through! I'm fine with the cardio sections I really just don't like any of the ab sections...so I modify and do other ab exercises or my own variation of what they're doing :p

Smart thinking on doing something different Carolyn! My feet hurt after all that jumping I can't imagine what it would do your foot.

Ahhhh Triceps and Chest and all those pushups; that one always makes me so sore!

I can't do Low Max; I'm horrible at choreography....Glad your knee is doing better Kate!

Our traveling might be canceled again, it's raining/sleeting and really icy out so we may not be making the trip. At this point I just want to get Christmas over with now!

Have a good night!

Morning ,
I did PP before my GG #5 w/o #2 . They were good together - both were pretty short . I'll have to go heavier on PP next time - I used Cathe's weights the 1st time to be safe , S & H got me spoiled ... GG too !
GG#5 w/o#2 : Shoulders Elevated single HT pause rep - 3x10 each side @ 45 lbs. Double standing Hip abduction - 3x10 each side . Pendlay row 3x6 - 1x6 @ 45 , 1x6 @50 , 1x6 @ 55 [ go heavier next time ] .RDL with Abduction 2x10 each side @ 50 lbs. Military Press 3x8 - 1x8 @ 15 , 1x8 @ 20 , 1x8 @20 . Didn't do the Hanging / frog raise - but I got a pull - up bar and hope to put it in this weekend !!!
Julie ,
Thanks for checking that out for me ! PP went just fine - I'll just go a bit heavier next time and I'll do Supersets on Mon. probably . I thought those Stability Ball taps were much harder than they looked - they were good for my lower back too . Great numbers on those GB's again !
Carolyn ,
Ugh , I'm right there with you on those nightsweats - don't know how far away you are yet from the , " Big Deal " , but those hang around for awhile before and after . I think I've emptied out the health food store looking for natural remedies [ none worked for me but some do really seem to help other people . ] I always feel like my chest , tri's and bi's loose muscle first , so when I finally do a killer w/o for them , it feels like I've been in a car accident ! You are not weak - I really think this type of muscle loss might be more typical in women than men .
Amanda ,
It's poring icy rain like crazy here this AM. I can't imagine what it's like in the Mid-West - much worse than it is here , I would think . It would be great if you could stay home a relax . Whatever you do , be careful !

Have a good day !

Morning all -
Here I am in the AM. dark again on a weekend [ Sorry Carolyn - I really hope this part is not in your future - waking up bet. 3-4 AM. is almost a daily thing now ... ]
Just wanted to say that I've done Crossfire Extreme now a few times and have figured out a way to make it almost totally low impact . Plus , if I keep two 5 lb. weights in my hands [ whenever those hands are free , of course ] it really makes the w/o advanced - I was drenched !
Carolyn ,
Hope your foot is better !
Amanda ,
Hope you got to stay home !
Julie ,
I'm making a point of adding your barbel chest press and back combo [ compound moves ] back in to my w/o [ was it 3x per week 3x12 ? ] If I don't write it down in my w/o book I forget and do the chest and forget the back and visa versa . The reason my push - ups are so shallow is because I'm lacking that last 3 inches of power you need to do them right ...

Hope everyone slept well and have a good day !

So Saturday we took our dogs to the vet for checkups. Then we ran some errands and did some chores around the house. Sunday I did Get Glutes: TGU 3x2@12; JDL 1x8@75, 2x5@85; SLHT 3x15 superset w/ AHT 3x8@165,175,185; pu/row combo 2x8@25 superset w/seated band abduction holds, and rack/overhead holds 2x@22. I then added on the challenge from Get Glutes. I did 35 back extensions in 1 min. and 40 45 degree hypers in 1 min. After that we took a little trip to see DH’s brother for his son’s 1st birthday that we missed last Sunday. This morning I did X52.

Carolyn I think a lot of chest and triceps work can also work the shoulders and traps so that is probably why you feel it all over. Good job getting GG done with your foot. I didn’t see your post till now about subbing for X10. Afterburn is a good sub but you could also do the double low impact premix from X10 or Cardio Supersets or even an extreme version of All Out Low Impact Hiit. Hope your foot keeps healing.

Amanda I think I am the opposite with CCC. Some of the cardio sections kill me but I can whiz through most of the ab sections. The only one that gives me trouble are the roll back into a jump. I have to roll back on my step because I can’t seem to do it from the ground.

Kate I can’t believe you get up that early on the weekend. I get up that early during the week but sleep in a few more hours on the weekend. I only add in once per week 3x8-12 barbell bench press and barbell rows. It really all depends on what other chest and back exercises are included in that month’s GG workouts. If 2 of the workouts include some type of chest press, I won’t add anything but will if there is only 1 or none. You could probably go to twice a week but space them farther apart and maybe go heavier and for closer to 8 reps one day and lighter and closer to 12 the second. Also, I switch up between the barbell and dumbbells from month to month. If you want to work on the depth of your pushup, you could try doing db chest presses since I feel I can go deeper than with a barbell. Hope that helps.

Have a great day!

I did X64 eeek that was tough...I was a sweaty mess! I had to take a couple of small breaks during the cardio blast by that time I was spent but I pushed through and then finished with the fat blast.

I'm excited for legs and glutes tomorrow that's one of my favorites.

We didn't travel last weekend....going to try again this weekend. I didn't do any w/o's :eek: just some stretching on Sunday

Have a good night!

This morning I did GG: Pause Squats 3x5@75,80,80; Sumo dl 3x3@165,165,170; 45 degree hypers 2x20@12; chin-ups 2x5; narrow grip incline bp 2x8@65; long lever PPT plank 1x30 sec. After that I did HiiT DWP. Made it all the way through DWP without pausing but man am I pooped now.

Carolyn I like X10 but I can understand how it might not be good for someone with knee and/or foot issues. There are a lot of high impact moves.

Amanda I bow to anyone that can do more than 3 X10s in a row. You are awesome. I have to pause quite often during the cardio blast and fat burning circuit sections. Enjoy L&G, it is a goodie!

Have a great day!

Hi girls ,
Went over to my mom's for her b'day last night and had dinner but I managed to get in GG #5 w/0#3 before we left -
HT- 2x10 @135 ,1x10 @145 , 1x10 @165 Lbs. One arm dumbell bench press - 1x8 @25 , 1x8@30 both sides . Squats - 1x10 @75 , 1x10 @ 85 , 1x10 @ 95 .One arm rows - 1x10 @25 , 1x10 @35 both sides . American Deadlift - 1x10@95 , 1x10@ 105 , 1x10@ 115 . Band seated abduction 2x20 .
Amanda ,
Great job on X64 ! I love that whole dvd but it's hard to get around all of that impact - it's a blast thought !
Carolyn ,
Yikes ! That jumping must have been awful ! I know how fun it is though and it's so hard to resist . I'd probably try Slide and Glide , Cardio Supersets , Afterburn and even Crossfire can be modified if you use those disks - which it sounds like you've tried but I've been able to get away with more cardio because of those , so maybe it can help ...
Julie ,
Thanks so much for the upper body ideas . I really do have to work harder on my chest but you're right , it's really the low end stuff that's gonna help me with push - ups etc... I do a lot with my DB's but the BB does really seem to get that area [ if I lighten the weight just enough to touch my chest with the bar and get the full ROM - that's about 45 lbs. ... ] 170 on Sumo's ? Awesome !

Tonight I did Cardio Supersets with the 20 min. step bonus . It was good and the step was pretty easy on the joints .
Have a great night !

Today I did Legs and Glutes, my legs are tired from all that jumping yesterday and then L&G today. Glad it's upper body tomorrow.

Have a great night!

So no workout today for me. I had the hardest time falling asleep last night, tossed and turned all night, and then woke up 2 hours before my alarm went off. I got back to sleep a little before the alarm went off and when it did I just couldn’t get up. I had Cycle Max on schedule for today so am bummed I didn’t get my spin workout in. Oh well, tomorrow will be a better day.

Carolyn I think adding hip thrusts to L&G might have given you what you were looking for. I haven’t done L&G in a long time but I don’t remember ever having DOMS in my rear from it. I have yet to find a way to banded ht and I really want to do them. I did try to weigh my squat rack down with a loaded barbell but was nervous the whole time. I had dh on standby while I did them. I had 100 lbs. on the rack and it still shifted on me. It didn’t flip over (thank goodness) but it moved around.

Kate Those are awesome ht and squat numbers! I am with Carolyn, remember when you were thrilled with breaking 100. Once you did that, you exploded in strength. I looked at back at my schedule when I broke my foot in November 2012. I was only doing upper body and worked each body part twice per week. I really think that is what truly helped me gain a lot of upper body strength. So going 3 days a week may be a bit too much but if you don’t feel overworked than go for it. It is really hard but sometimes dropping the weight down and focusing on ROM is the best thing to do. I have had to drop my weight down on my squat many times to focus on form.

Amanda It’s crazy how much jumping works the legs. When I was doing squat jumps in DWP yesterday, I was really feeling it in my glutes and can’t remember that happening before.

Have a great day!

Today was Chest and Triceps. Carolyn I'm with you my chest feels full and C&T doesn't have much rest time.

Kate you're really getting up there with your HT weight, great job!

Sorry you had such a rough night Julie; hopefully tonight is better!

I don't think I've every really gotten DOMS from L&G either but I still like it. HTs would be a great ending to it, I'll have to remember that next time.

I would totally get Bret's hip thruster if it was only like $200!! I bet using the band really gets in there good.

You girls be careful with your banded HT sounds a little scary.

Have a good night!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.